--PARAMETRIC EQ IN FL STUDIO--

Dan M

hard gay northern bear
VIP Junglist
Could someone please explain how exactly to use it.

This is a whole new level of noobness, but its come to the point where its got to be said.

going off zeals drum tutorial, he describes what freq to cut your snares and kicks at for punchy sounding drums etc. well av tried to achieve this in FL like this.

ive first assigned say a kick to a mixer channel.

then added the parametric eq (not fruity parametric eq 2) to that channel.

then the parametric equaliser pops up, its a set of faders with symbols above them.

now say i want the kick at 200hz do i jus move all the knobs to 200 or what because when i do this there appears to be no change in the sound at all.

any help would be greatly appreciated as always BUT anyone who laughs dont forget i'm bigger than you and i can benchpress 200lbs.

you need to up or down the gain to affect the sound bro. if you want a snare at 200 hz youll need to pitch and eq it accordingly and if you dont know what 200 hz sounds like you stick a spectrum analyzer on there

you need to up or down the gain to affect the sound bro. if you want a snare at 200 hz youll need to pitch and eq it accordingly and if you dont know what 200 hz sounds like you stick a spectrum analyzer on there

more please.......

i.e. is there a free spectrum analyser i can download?

ty

Adjust the upper knob on the second-from-left strip so that it shows 200Hz, then play your snare and while it's playing (preferably against the whole tune though, not just the snare) adjust the fader on the same strip upwards until you can hear the difference.

The lower knob is for Q, or width, and it affects on how large the affected frequency area is. Narrow boost sounds nasal or resonated while a wider boost will affect the sound more generally.

In case you didn't know, more bass-heavy sounds are near the left end of the spectrum here and high sounds like the hiss of a ride cymbal is on the rightmost end. vocals in the middle part and so on.

http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Equalizer

Personally I like more subtractive eq'ing instead of boosting freq's - the sound stays more relaxed and full that way - and just boost the volume of the track. Harsh EQ'ing also creates phase problems but I don't think you should worry about that. The less processing you can do with still sounding good the better I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom