Panning question - important.

Spinchains

Hi.

I have a problem.

What is better ?

a. Using 4 stereo tracks panned center, but with different stereo spread, or

b. Pan them to different positions

?

It is sometimes difficult to pan to opposite sides instruments that have similar frequency ranges, because they doesnt always play together.

On what pronciple does panning work ? -> When two instruments of similar frequency ranges are placed opposite in the panorama (- 50 %L, +50 %R) they still require some frequency separation I think. They reach ears at the same time. Am I right ?

Hi.

I have a problem.

What is better ?

a. Using 4 stereo tracks panned center, but with different stereo spread, or

b. Pan them to different positions

?

It is sometimes difficult to pan to opposite sides instruments that have similar frequency ranges, because they doesnt always play together.

On what pronciple does panning work ? -> When two instruments of similar frequency ranges are placed opposite in the panorama (- 50 %L, +50 %R) they still require some frequency separation I think. They reach ears at the same time. Am I right ?

Honestly, I think the "answer" is purely subjective and depends on what the Producer is going for.

Not always the case, sometimes one can have sounds that start hard left and come center, or start hard left and go full right, or start hard left and go back and forth, or simply stay hard left and not move at all, or do 'any' number of different things. There are no "hard rules" when it comes to panning. It all depends on what you want the texture to do in the mix.

:itsallamatteroftaste:

"that start hard left and come center" - do you talk about panning automation ?

-------------------

I think about the most correct panning strategy.

When I listen to some proffesional dnb recordings, I have a feeling that instruments are often placed center. I think about stereo tracks that have a different spread.

I will give a example:

I have 5 tracks playing at the same time.

1 - Kick (Center)
2 - Snare (Center)
3 - Ride (Center)
4 - Hihat (Haas - wide spread) -80, +80

(1+2+3+4 = Drums)

+

5 - Synth Pad (Stereo - -50 + 50)

If snare is fighting with pad for space is it correct to leave drums untouched with Synth Pad panned to 50 % right ?

--------------------------------

The possible solution is to pass Synth through Reverb and place the reverb opposite to dry sound, but reverb has to be quieter.

Am I thinking right ?

Best way to find out anything like this is to do it, if it sounds nice then its right, if it doesnt, then its not! All the main elements of your mix you'll want dead centre, obvious bits like kicks snares etc. Its easy to ruin the effect of a mix with panning, but the only way to know for sure is just try it.

Oh and if your going wild with your panning then remember to keep checking how your mix sounds in mono, its easy to come across phase related problems that'll ruin your hard work your doing to get everything sounding nicely balanced.

Dont go over 50 percent in either direction. it's a pain to listen to it on headphones.

In dnb, most drums are panned center/mono, at least the kick and the snare usually are. You can get good results with panning on drums if you pan individual hits and stay very close to the center.

If two elements are fighting for the same spectral space, it sometimes helps fit them in if you pan them a bit to the opposite sides. I've also successfully panned the highpass parts of bass sounds - I've had 2 different basses that take turns and were panned about 15% left and right. It gave a really nice feeling of a "battle of the basses" on a big club rig.

Back
Top Bottom