pads loud when breaks are stopped ....

Manu Forti

Detached Audio
VIP Junglist
so i get this a lot infact it prevents me from stoppign breaks period. i imagined a slight decrease in volume would be the answer and it does solve the problem to a degree but is there a more professional way to overcome this?

just starting out here so stiil new to his yeah

im not at mastering stage so no i havent been putting them through anything yet i didnt know i had to lol

so i should be compression as i go along im trying the side chaining thing and getting ok results with my kicks but i tookj it off until arangements finished.

right so if i run everything through a limiter it should stop this

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

lol nice one so ive just stuck a default limiter and a default comp on master and hey presto cheers

Lol, well I actually thought a compressor might have been the cause of the problem not the cure but oh well. Sometimes if you've got some heavy compression it can cause things to 'pump'.

Anyway, if your limiter has a reduction meter, check if it's catching any signal (means you're going over 0db) If it is try and reduce your track levels until it doesn't trigger the limiter any more. Then switch of the limiter and see if you still have the original problem.

Just a thought, I may be way off.

it happens a lot with my pads and sub bass aswell always gets louder limiter and compressor hasnt actually fixed it completly but ill mess around and see if theres more tuts on compression and limiting. it seems to get louder the longer the breaks are silent i can see why its doing it because im making sub and pad louder to try and fit in with the breaks when they are on. so ill try queten them down a little volume wise. i was told to shove a limiter on all my tracks and use gain on there as volume control sometimes it has little effect though....

anyway cheers ill keep trial n error

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

sorry i meant utility on all my tracks not limiter (using ableton)

i can see why its doing it because im making sub and pad louder to try and fit in with the breaks when they are on. so ill try queten them down a little volume wise.

Instead of making things louder to compete with louder elements try bringing the louder elements down.

Yeah definately sounds like limiter or compression on the master buss
Its becuase your drums are peaking the most, so to make room its sucking out whatever freq it need too

Like youre doing bring most of the elements down, you can always boost volume later

im not at mastering stage so no i havent been putting them through anything yet i didnt know i had to lol

so i should be compression as i go along im trying the side chaining thing and getting ok results with my kicks but i tookj it off until arangements finished.

right so if i run everything through a limiter it should stop this

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

lol nice one so ive just stuck a default limiter and a default comp on master and hey presto cheers

I'd say that was your issue... from your description, it sounds like the compressor you are using for side-chaining is set too hard. Try decreasing the gain or the amount being sent to the side-chain bus. I tend to ride the send to get the mix levels right as its important to know what happens to the sound when the compression isn't being triggered. Then I'd use the attack/release controls to shape it and very rarely above a 3:1 ratio.

Good advice above though, especially the point about too much bass.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom