pads like these

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist

Just an example. I know I've made topics about what do I do to make good pads, but really, I have absolutely no clue where to start with them.

If someone could just give me a little push, I might never need to ask for pad help again....:sixty_nin

And while I'm at it, like this too (at the intro):

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one is pretty straightforward. Its a vocal sample that goes through a vocoder, paired with a simple string, like a synthesized violin. Then there's just single hits, like a noisy sweep filtered and delayed.

The second is something i usually use synth presets for so can't help on that.

I didn't want to make a new thread for another sound really, So i'll just take over this one,

Its more about the sound of it then the modulation and stuff tho.

You can clearly hear it in the intro :3
I just can't seem to get close to it in anyway. Been screwing with this for a while now but cant seem to find it.

(im in Albino, or Massive btw)

Last edited by a moderator:
the 7th chord is nice, but if you put all chords as the same, it will sound oldschooley.

I noticed that a lot of pads use square oscillators, gives them that 'full' timbre, maybe some noise in there as well. Then there's some detuning involved between 2 or more oscillators, a lowpass filter (slight, like 6db or 12db) and long attack and release. Add some chorus for movement.

You have Albino, it has some pretty sweet pad presets, you can learn a lot by looking into them - reverse engineering them to bits, seeing how different things affect the sound.

Thanks guys, i think this will help me on my way.

btw, @ Kama, yeah I know, there is a pad in there which sounds similiar, I tried stipping it down to see what the creators of it have done to do it, then i tried to recreate it with my own twist, but it turned out waaaay different for some reason haha.

Also, The way a pad sounds also depends on the chords eh.. ? never really have put thought into that.. I should do more research on chords :3 haha.

look up 'ravenspiral guide'. it is written by a house fella so its more concentrated on giving electronic music producers some useful knowledge instead of talking about classical music or jimi hendrix.

Back
Top Bottom