PA Speakers to Amp ??? Help !!!

Dj_Clippa

Mix n Blend '
hi all, so ive jus bought some pa speakers off my m8 (yamaha s15e) and i havent got a clue how to connect them to my amp?

They have two 1/4" jack plugs on each speaker so i was wondering if anyone knew the cables ect i need to buy ? Would really appreciate the help!!! Cheers

hi all, so ive jus bought some pa speakers off my m8 (yamaha s15e) and i havent got a clue how to connect them to my amp?

They have two 1/4" jack plugs on each speaker so i was wondering if anyone knew the cables ect i need to buy ? Would really appreciate the help!!! Cheers

Guitar_cable_guitar_lead.jpg

just a guitar lead (1/4" Jack) you'll be able to get them from any music/guitar shop, or most of the online shops will sell them.

Guitar_cable_guitar_lead.jpg

just a guitar lead (1/4" Jack) you'll be able to get them from any music/guitar shop, or most of the online shops will sell them.

do i have to buy two for each speaker then? only thing thats confusing me is that theres only 1 1/4" input on each chanell of my amp but 2 from the speaker..

You wont need 2 cables for each speaker, the second input on passive speakers is so you can either Bi-Amp them (power them with 2 amps, not usualy needed) or slave 2 or more speakers together, (running multiple speakers from one amp)

If your amp is a heavy duty one (ie. more than about 400W in power), you should use proper PA cabling, which looks the same to normal instrument cable but has a higher (or lower, cant remember which way around) impedance. If you use regular line cables it may melt or even damage your amp.

If you use regular line cables it may melt or even damage your amp.

Sorry but that'll never happen!! Melt your amp?? Amps these days have more then enough protection to prevent any type of melting and plus the quality of cable only effects the sound quality, there is no power running through the cables, just signal.

what outputs does your amp have? if its just jack outputs and each speaker ahs two jack inputs you'll need two of these?

its got 1 red and 1 white phono input, 2 1/4" jack inputs and 2 xlr inputs, the only outputs are for bare speaker cable/banana plugs if that helps ??? im trying to upload a picture but it keeps failing..

Looks like that amps designed for smaller speakers mate, generaly if its only got binding post outputs its designed for home speakers, monitors etc.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR272221

two of those and cut the phono ends off so theyre bare wire, and use them in the amp and the jacks in the speakers?

i havent seen that cable with just bare wires instead of phono / jacks anywhere, and im 110% sure it wont damage equipment and all signal cables are the same except connections and heavy duty? anyone correct me if im wrong?

but anyway, im using a phono cable with the phonos cut off as standard bare speaker wire atm, and its not causing any damage or harm as far as i know, and the signal still sounds crisp.

Looks like that amps designed for smaller speakers mate, generaly if its only got binding post outputs its designed for home speakers, monitors etc.

This, if your amp hasnt got 1/4" Jack out puts then I wouldnt be pluging speakers in that have 1/4" jack inputs.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR272221

two of those and cut the phono ends off so theyre bare wire, and use them in the amp and the jacks in the speakers?

i havent seen that cable with just bare wires instead of phono / jacks anywhere, and im 110% sure it wont damage equipment and all signal cables are the same except connections and heavy duty? anyone correct me if im wrong?

but anyway, im using a phono cable with the phonos cut off as standard bare speaker wire atm, and its not causing any damage or harm as far as i know, and the signal still sounds crisp.

Wouldnt advise this with PA speakers, wouldnt be the end of the world in a home setup, but tiny thin cables with chopped off ends would spell trouble for larger applications.

Not all types of signal cable are the same, some have just the two wires (+/- or hot and cold) and others will have 3 (an extra wire for grounding/earthing), in applications where your running 2 signals into one speaker, you can have 2 sets of wires inside the one cable (2 + and 2 -)

Connecting an amp thats low power to a speaker that requires a higher power to perform propperly will result in a poor quality signal, your fairly unlikely to damage anything, you'll just get bad sound.

yh thats my amp for my moniters lol i was just geting some idea of where i have to connect the pa speakers, i will b buying a bigger amp to power them in a few weeks .

I take it it should be much easier if the amp has 1/4" jack outputs instead of me starting to cut cables ect.

Connecting an amp thats low power to a speaker that requires a higher power to perform propperly will result in a poor quality signal, your fairly unlikely to damage anything, you'll just get bad sound.

yeah thats kinda obvious on my bad lol, i was more thinkin tht at the volume you'd play at in bedroom it wouldn't be a noticeable difference unless your pushing the amp? :confused:

i had this problem some time ago with a smaller amp and bigger speakers, and in the end got rid of em all and stuck to active speakers. easyyyy

yh thats my amp for my moniters lol i was just geting some idea of where i have to connect the pa speakers, i will b buying a bigger amp to power them in a few weeks .

I take it it should be much easier if the amp has 1/4" jack outputs instead of me starting to cut cables ect.

Yea if your getting an amp for it just wait untill then, not much point in trying to connect the amp you've got. Have a look at the RMS power of your speakers (not peak power) and the impedance, and get an amp that matches it as closely as you can.

PA Speakers to Amp Help

If you fade it and balance it, and nothing happens, its either every speaker, or not the speakers at all. Id look at the amp. Ive never seen the factory amp, but with most amps, if water somehow gets in them and fries something, you can tell. So if you can open up the amp and look at it, or take a picture and Ill look at it for you, we should be able to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom