PA Speakers for parties

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by dkn, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dkn

dkn boh.

So, I'm gonna start playing at parties and I have my and my friends birthday party this upcoming Monday so I'm a bit pressed for time. I've been looking at powered PA speakers to play indoors for now. I decided to go with the Harbinger APS15, but I just saw an ad for a slightly used yamaha pa system for $620. Also there is the Behringer B215 A for $500 used.

Basically I'm just looking for the better deal here. I don't know much about PA systems and how to mate the correct amplifier to the correct PA speakers. I don't know what would sound better indoors vs. outdoors. What I do know, is that Yamaha is a much better brand, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 120 dollars that I could put toward a subwoofer in the next month.

Which comes to my final question: How much is it gonna suck without a good 15 or 18 inch subwoofer?

I've strained my google-fu and searched the forums only to find little pertaining to my questions. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

ive been using a 400 watt system at parties for a while now without a sub, it lacks attitude.. go for about 500 watts of speakers and 500 watts of subwoofers (2 speakers, 2 subs) or maybe adjust the ratio so its bassier..

3. dkn

dkn boh.

That's what I thought. I'm gonna keep my eye out for used subwoofers.

4. TheTornado

TheTornado Member

man, see if you can rent that shit, for real. i play out at house parties regularly. i had my own pair of JBL monitors which crapped out on me a couple years ago. since then, i have gone to a place in the suburbs which rents out 250 watt speakers for 30 bucks + a 20 dollar deposit.

if you don't play out much, which i dont know if you do, it might not be worth it spending the money. just my opinion.

5. dkn

dkn boh.

I'm looking into local rental services right now. The place I'm going to be djing at is also the place I'm going to move into in a couple months. The house is in an industrial area so there can really be no noise complaints. That being said, I plan on practicing and playing regularly there. Throw parties every couple of weeks maybe. To me, it'd be worth it because I have a crap sound system right now as it is.

This is my first time playing out btw. It's not so much a drum 'n bass crowd, but the most important ones that will be there, do like dnb. That's all that really matters. I plan on easing them in with more recognizable remixes and liquid, then eventually move into the harder tracks and juicier mixing style.