Owning the vinyl, pirating the mp3?

Shatner's Bosom

murder TANMUSHIMUSHI
VIP Junglist
Immoral? Naughty? If so, why? And how naughty is it?

Ive never really pirated any music but now I have so many records that I have bought for mp3 for too and it just seems like I'm wasting a lot of money, I cant get the free mp3s off Surus because they won't ship anything heavier than 2kg to the Middle East.

Would like to hear some of your opinions.

little naughty, not really immoral, you've gone and paid for the more expensive vinyl, there shouldn't be any reason why you're not allowed to nab the lower quality mp3. Or you could just rip the vinyl.

i'm sure if you asked the label owner/artist, they'd say the same.

the only question of morality is whether you're supporting the people uploading these tunes to be pirated.

If you buy the vinyl - you either listen to it on vinyl or you mix via vinyl.
If the site you're buying from doesn't provide free digital downloads (a lot of labels are doing this though) - it's a two way street.
You can pirate it, and the artist and label lose a dollar or two. You buy it, you lose a dollar or two.

Really - justify it - if you have the vinyl from an artist on a label that sells in excess, I wouldn't think twice - but you've got to look at the fact that sites like FunkySouls, what.cd, DB9 and CLLV (as examples) exist and have thousands on thousands of members who do the same thing - one person buys and a thousand reap the benefit for little to no cost.

The best thing to do is to buy it... but then again - two way street.

i was j/k mate.. do watever u want! u paid for it

as long as you don't go n make a profit from it afterwards..

plus if ur collecting vinyl.. why not pirate it into mp3.. so u can store vinyl and never play it..

If you buy the vinyl - you either listen to it on vinyl or you mix via vinyl.
If the site you're buying from doesn't provide free digital downloads (a lot of labels are doing this though) - it's a two way street.
You can pirate it, and the artist and label lose a dollar or two. You buy it, you lose a dollar or two.

Really - justify it - if you have the vinyl from an artist on a label that sells in excess, I wouldn't think twice - but you've got to look at the fact that sites like FunkySouls, what.cd, DB9 and CLLV (as examples) exist and have thousands on thousands of members who do the same thing - one person buys and a thousand reap the benefit for little to no cost.

The best thing to do is to buy it... but then again - two way street.

I don't think the artist is losing as I have already paid for their songs

- - - Updated - - -

Some of you might find this article interesting, I certainly did

Music sales are not affected by web piracy, study finds'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21856720

People who pirate all their music probably wouldn't have bought it if they couldn't get it for free

- - - Updated - - -

plus if ur collecting vinyl.. why not pirate it into mp3.. so u can store vinyl and never play it..

:uberlaugh

the only question of morality is whether you're supporting the people uploading these tunes to be pirated.

Yeah, there is this. But it is supporting them? They don't benefit from it unless they like having lots of downloads for things they've uploaded, I'm not sure how pirate epenises work

Last edited:
Im guilty of doing this a couple of times. And anyone that looks down on me for it can get fucked. I've just dished out £8 for 2 tunes on a piece of plastic... Im going to download the digi so i can listen in my car etc. As far as im concerned ive paid for the right to own that tune. Its not something i make a habit of but generally speaking i refuse to buy 2 copies of the same tune.

Im guilty of doing this a couple of times. And anyone that looks down on me for it can get fucked. I've just dished out £8 for 2 tunes on a piece of plastic... Im going to download the digi so i can listen in my car etc. As far as im concerned ive paid for the right to own that tune. Its not something i make a habit of but generally speaking i refuse to buy 2 copies of the same tune.

^ youtube ripper imo

:teeth:

again....why not just rip to .wav, pretty sure that's legal as long as you're not sharing it.

feel like I'm entitled

tbh
ur not entitled to shit.
things come in different formats.

i brought a bag of oranges. that doesn't mean im entitled to steal a carton of orange juice.

best way would be to rip it yourself.

so is vinyl

Yeah but its different, the orange juice you steal isn't the same as the oranges you bought, I cant believe Im even typing this, you know what the differences are

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I didn't make this thread to argue with people, just wanted to hear peoples different opinions

turntable_oranges.jpg

turntable_oranges03.jpg

yea i think ur entitled to. a tune is a tune at the end of the day. if you bought the vinyl you bought the sound that the vinyl makes too. i condone this more than buying a record on discogs where no money goes to the artist at all

record tracks to your computer using audacity? doesn't take long, plus if it's a vinyl only release you have the advantage of having an mp3 or wav of it too

Back
Top Bottom