Owning the vinyl, pirating the mp3?

While I don't think a unified answer will be ever found I do have possible suggestions (that could be stupid but here goes):

1. Ask surus to break your parcels down in size so as not to exceed the 2kg limit
2. Ask surus to generally look into their shipping policies and advise they are currently losing business because of them
3. This is the long shot. Propose to surus that you send copies of your invoices for purchases through other shops / stores as a means to prove your purchase thus enabling you to the free mp3's?

yes

I do it and I don't feel bad about it. I buy the music, not the format. As long as the artist gets money from me I don't feel any guilt. Plus, I don't have a very good ripping setup.

I buy wavs, so yeah I've bought the vinyl and the wav. But each to their own. Don't be surprised if you get called up on the piracy thing. Dunno how anyone would find out but still.

depends on the tune...

rip off dj sly...

32403761.jpg

rip off alix perez...

Witch-hunt-620.jpg

I don't see a problem with it... If you've paid towards a release on vinyl, you've paid for the music. Obviously if it was the other way around and you decided to steal the vinyl, after buying the MP3, that'd be wrong as you'd be stealing additional elements like packaging and the actual physical format.

You could just rip the vinyl to your computer, but what's the difference?

Try applying the reverse logic, bought mp3 - entitled to steal vinyl? :teeth:

Well the vinyl manufacturer and the digital seller are not the same people... If you buy the vinyl and pirate the mp3, the online guy gets nothing -> you stole his product (here's where it gets ambiguous I guess, since its not really his work. But he pays the online storage etc. so...). The artist/label/recordstore however, will get something as long as you paid for the track once (and they are the ones who "really worked" and the ones I want the money to go to, best to buy on labels website, Hospital for example even give mp3). I have no clue about the laws but I think it's pretty clear that from a strictly legal point of view, you are not entitled to download an mp3 of a track that you have bought on vinyl. It's not like you own the record. Makes you wonder about the "do not broadcast publically" etc. inscriptions on all/most vinyl. When I get to the point of buying the vinyl now I will most likely already have purchased the digital version anyway... I barely buy on sight anymore.

Try applying the reverse logic, bought mp3 - entitled to steal vinyl? :teeth:

We've already established reverse logic in this scenario doesnt work at all.

Personally, whether its illegal or not, whether its morally right or not, i feel no guilt downloading a tune that ive already spent £8 on. Ive bought the rights to listen to that tune.

I COULD rip the vinyl and end up with an inferior copy... Which no one seems to have a problem with? So whats the difference between me ripping the vinyl or downloading a copy? Either way i end up with a digital copy of a tune i have bought. Problem?

Pfft, if ive paid through the nose to support an artist by buying their tunes on wax im not going to feel guilty about wanting it in a different format.

I'd love to hear from a couple of established artists what they think. I dont think they will give a shit, unless you ask someone like Sub Focus or Fresh who seems to want to squeeze every penny they can.

I'd buy the wav personally if I wanted it and hadn't already bought it on vinyl.
In some cases like Danwell i've bought the vinyl and bought a wav as well.

Generally I have the same problem recording vinyl. You need an eliptic needles to get the best sound quality allegedly, I don't really have any knowledge on them at all tbh. never bought one myself.

Going to stick my neck out here and give you another perspective.

Most of you are focusing on this in terms of your own individual transaction, (which is understandable). What no one has really mentioned is that when you decide to pirate stuff, the simple action of sharing / downloading is supporting the whole pirate eco-system that has more or less destroyed independent music's ability to be self-sufficient.
Be under no illusion that file locker / torrent / other hosting sites are businesses. Businesses that make vast amounts of money out of sharing content made by people who will never have any hope of fighting them.
By using their services you are contributing to their continuing existence. Think of it like sanctions against a disagreeable foreign government. In the 70s & 80s many people refused to buy South African produce as a protest against the regime of apartheid. Each of these micro-boycotts contributed to an overall atmosphere & opinion that apartheid was not acceptable…
(I hope no one here is stupid enough to start shrieking that I'm equating music piracy & apartheid).

I agree completely that if you were to buy our music on vinyl that having a top-quality digital copy along with it is a reasonable expectation, and that's why we and most other labels on ST Holdings use their Surus platform to do exactly this.
If you buy vinyl from elsewhere I'd be much happier if you just emailed me the receipt and asked me directly for the mp3s and I'll send you a link straight back, rather than you supporting these massive, cunty, pirate tech companies who have no interests other than where their next million is coming from at the expense of all of us.

Oh yeah.. one of the majority shareholders in The Pirate Bay is a Neo Nazi, in case you didn't already know that.. just so you know what you're contributing to if you use it - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/26/pirate_bay_neo_nazi/

Honestly- it'll make me sound like a cunt, but In an age where vinyl suffers to mp3 as badly as it does I can't see the problem, especially when you fork out say £16 for a three piece vinyl lp when you can download the same thing for less than a fiver- and STILL get some digital bonus with it too.

Do find it somewhat irritating that I have every intention of going to serato/ traktor at some point but am expecting to shell out for tracks which I already own having already paid through my teeth for them.

Hospital knows where it's at for the vinyl/ mp3 combos.

What's stupid about asking them to break down the size of parcels?

postage will obviously cost a lot more... 2x 2kg packages is more costly than a 4kg package as far as i am aware

probably the reason he has a problem with purchasing orders under 2kg...postage is not worth it

Most of you are focusing on this in terms of your own individual transaction, (which is understandable). What no one has really mentioned is that when you decide to pirate stuff, the simple action of sharing / downloading is supporting the whole pirate eco-system that has more or less destroyed independent music's ability to be self-sufficient.
Be under no illusion that file locker / torrent / other hosting sites are businesses. Businesses that make vast amounts of money out of sharing content made by people who will never have any hope of fighting them.
By using their services you are contributing to their continuing existence. Think of it like sanctions against a disagreeable foreign government. In the 70s & 80s many people refused to buy South African produce as a protest against the regime of apartheid. Each of these micro-boycotts contributed to an overall atmosphere & opinion that apartheid was not acceptable…
(I hope no one here is stupid enough to start shrieking that I'm equating music piracy & apartheid).

I agree completely that if you were to buy our music on vinyl that having a top-quality digital copy along with it is a reasonable expectation, and that's why we and most other labels on ST Holdings use their Surus platform to do exactly this.
If you buy vinyl from elsewhere I'd be much happier if you just emailed me the receipt and asked me directly for the mp3s and I'll send you a link straight back, rather than you supporting these massive, cunty, pirate tech companies who have no interests other than where their next million is coming from at the expense of all of us.

Oh yeah.. one of the majority shareholders in The Pirate Bay is a Neo Nazi, in case you didn't already know that.. just so you know what you're contributing to if you use it - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/26/pirate_bay_neo_nazi/

this fucking forum is driving me up the wall

this fucking forum is driving me up the wall
woh, that's a perspective I didn't ever consider...and you bring up a good point there about Surus supplying the MP3 when you buy a record - I think it should be part of the deal from all retailers, then you get the MP3 right away while you wait for the physical product to arrive. This (I am sure) will convince a few people to buy more records as well, as sometimes its not much more than the price of the digital release for the vinyl, and so people would spend a little bit more to get something tangible and collectible.

Maybe labels could start adding promo codes to their vinyl releases - so even if you buy a record in (shock horror) your local record store, you can still get the MP3 online. It's a relatively simple system to produce.

I guess people don't realise that when they use a pirate website the people that own the website are directly benefitting from traffic + adverts etc.

Back
Top Bottom