Owning the vinyl, pirating the mp3?

record tracks to your computer using audacity? doesn't take long, plus if it's a vinyl only release you have the advantage of having an mp3 or wav of it too

Yeah I could do that but why would I if there are 320s/wavs of the same tune that aren't vinyl rips fairly easily available, obsession remix for example, if I ripped that it wouldnt sound great, I'm terrible at ripping vinyl

imo its not right .
say you bought a bluray film - does that mean you can steal a dvd of the same film?
think its ok to convert something you have bought to any format you like - as you own that. and its for your own use.
but that aint what youre doing.
this is all my opinion - if you dont like it thats fine with me.
if you think stealing money from dnb artists is ok .......

imo its not right .
say you bought a bluray film - does that mean you can steal a dvd of the same film?
think its ok to convert something you have bought to any format you like - as you own that. and its for your own use.

If i bought a blu ray dvd then i wouldnt feel guilty watching it from an online stream. I think that example is a lot more fitting as the actual movie is the bit you have bought the dvd for and not the physical plastic object. the same way you buy the vinyl for the music not the actual vinyl (unless its collectable)

stealing a second dvd isnt right because that dvd is a tangible asset which cost the manufacturer money and in turn cost the dvd shop money. its all a grey area really but i think it is ok as long as you have bought the vinyl.

imo its not right .

Its not like stealing a DVD, it's like buying a blueray, having a laptop that can't play blueray and downloading the film off the pirate bay so you can watch it on the bus or something.
I don't think its stealing from dnb artists as I already bought the exact song (the more expensive format too)

- - - Updated - - -

If i bought a blu ray dvd then i wouldnt feel guilty watching it from an online stream. I think that example is a lot more fitting as the actual movie is the bit you have bought the dvd for and not the physical plastic object. the same way you buy the vinyl for the music not the actual vinyl (unless its collectable)

stealing a second dvd isnt right because that dvd is a tangible asset which cost the manufacturer money and in turn cost the dvd shop money. its all a grey area really but i think it is ok as long as you have bought the vinyl.

You said it better than me

well said mate.

would be interesting to get an artists/label managers POV. (kasra)

but the stream is illegal no?

but oh its ok for me because i PROMISE i have the dvd at home somewhere.

it still is stealing.
the item you want is not free.
if i had bought 100 copies of an album and then left all 100 copies at work - if i go home and illegaly download that album - how is that not stealing?

just sayin. - legally its stealin.

what youre saying is:
I'm too lazy to convert the vinyl. im too tight to pay 89p for the mp3. so therefore i should be allowed to pirate.
that dont bother me one bit - loads of people do that.
just not me. its stealing.
sorry bout that.

I'm very anti music-piracy but if I have paid for the vinyl I think it's ok to pirate the mp3, I don't think i'll lose any sleep over it. Now to try and find a website

yeah this one has lead to arguments for me for the last couple of years....

the way I see it, if you have paid for the physical media you should be entitled to the digital of that media - that's not how the law sees it but I think its morally right. You are not actually able to make copies of anything you have bought (theres a good thing about DVD's here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal) although people say ripping a vinyl is OK (and I think it is too), which to me is the same as downloading a copy of the tune for free (converting it to digital).

Its just one of those moral things in life that you have to take a stand on. I have 2000 records at home, so feel as though I have contributed more than enough to the industry to be able to have the tunes I have already paid for in digital format without buying them again - but fair play to those who thinks that's wrong.

but the stream is illegal no?

but oh its ok for me because i PROMISE i have the dvd at home somewhere.

I'm talking about this from a moral perspective not a legal perspective. The way I see it, if Ant tc1 was tipped off that I had stolen some mp3s of his tunes and then he learnt that I had most of dispatch records' back catalogue including the ones I stole the mp3s for, im sure he wouldn't care. Surus gives out the mp3s for free when you purchase the vinyl anyways.

It's not stealing and it's actually the reason that hosting sites managed to stay open for so much time, because when you buy a song/movie you are buying intellectual property, so in a sense, the mp3 that's online was already paid for by you. You already own it. It's no different from doing a copy paste of a tune between two folders, or will you pay each time you want a copy in a different folder for organization purposes?

^which is what gema tries to do in germany basically @_@

I think its fine, and by the way its not like artists get a lot of the money anyways from the digital (except for when you buy it from their site directly, in which case if you order the vinyl you almost always get the mp3s aswell)

While I don't think a unified answer will be ever found I do have possible suggestions (that could be stupid but here goes):

1. Ask surus to break your parcels down in size so as not to exceed the 2kg limit
2. Ask surus to generally look into their shipping policies and advise they are currently losing business because of them
3. This is the long shot. Propose to surus that you send copies of your invoices for purchases through other shops / stores as a means to prove your purchase thus enabling you to the free mp3's?

Back
Top Bottom