Own made Amen Break, sounds good?

Rajstah Vibe

soundcloud.com/rajstah
VIP Junglist
One of my few attempts to write a powerfull amen break only using single shot of drum samples...
No loop are been used in this.
The synths are, Korg Radias (with one my own builded patch) and an FM8. Sub bass, Live Operetor.
What do yah reckon as a start for a new track?

Oh... yeah... just for this preview, i've squeez a lot with shapers, compressors and limiters!
Any feedback is good! Ya know!!!

Last edited:
While the amen is just right with bass, alone something in the mid/high range just upsets my ear, cannot focus it though

Edit: something with the hats? too much noise? dont really know

maybe im comparing it too much to the amen, but what makes the amen so great IMO is the transparency of each hits,
and some of the noise just gets in the way for my taste.

after some listening, is there an ongoing open hihat in the background? xD maybe im picky, but really somethings not smooth in mid/high freq

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Nah its okay when tuning the volume down, but listening loud just lurks out some edges
another thing, did you midi control each hit or really sample your amen?

Yeah, i know! It's cuz i've been working all day on building noise and my ears are tired.
I'll work back tomorrow on this.
I can tell you that the shit you hear is coming from all the transient shapers, distorcion and over compression!
Yeah, i did decide to work on the sequencer by writing the samples on lane, not midi or samplers.
Keep giving me advice! It's vital...
Writing a good amen it's been always one of my spots!

Last edited:
To really imitate the workflow of amen in dnb you have to record your amen pattern with the original rythm for one bar, and then work with only this wav part.
this way you have the same sounds together on one hit that make this special amen sound and its the flow producers had in the 90`s.
Soundwise, its really hard to tell. on low volumes the snare cranks me out, on loud the hats are a pain in the ass
after listen to it around 1000 times now, its some hat, not the open one though ^^

I really have to add this, it only occurs on loud volumes. i dont know wether its my setup or some general problem.
but maybe thats why i like it along with bass, it sucks up some of the freq/noise trash i think.

ok, cool... i will have all day to sort out sounds and arrangement, hopefully.
I'll kep this thread upadated.
Urquelle, i'm sure the shit u say it's due to the over processing done in an quick "quality careless" pumping up. I'll be more carefull with the calibration of squasher plugs... (comp,limit,dist,shape,eq)
Thanks for your big attention... i can see you r a big passionated on breaks! lol
Apart from the freq/noise, what do you think of the samples used? Kick? Snares? Cymbals? Synths? It's the main strip of the pattern rolling well? What will you keep and what get rid of?

i think it sounds good but the editing is so mental i cant tell what your amen sounds like in its natural state. did you make a real copy? just the original amen before you crashed it or did you set it up like this? cool editing btw, really idm ish.

i mean the original sequence, you didint happen to do that too did you? but your edit sure sounds like an amen edit, just not sure if it would sound much like an amen without the edit. by edits i mean drum rolls and filters and pitching and that btw.

i mean the original sequence, you didint happen to do that too did you? but your edit sure sounds like an amen edit, just not sure if it would sound much like an amen without the edit. by edits i mean drum rolls and filters and pitching and that btw.
Well, yeah. I first wrote this pattern with 2 two snares, one rolling with accents and light pitch shift, one hitting the beat (if i can call it like this). Kick, 2 closed hat repitched, one open hat and one crash that follow the main beats(kick-snare).
When written the main roll, i can go with variations, fills and fx. The thing i like by having the amen builded in separate lanes, in stand of resample it and use as a single wav loop, is that i can chose which sound i want and whenever i want. Otherwise i could easilly take one from my terabite of break sample loops... but's those are not my own! ;)
As fx i use beat repeaters, decimators (bit/freq reducers), chorus, flangers, sidechained envelope filters, in different insert chains.

Last edited:
no thats cool though, exactly what i meant, would be fun if people posted their own amens, i think many of us have tried. back when i started writing drum and bass i had a project file with only my own amens, like ten of them. they all sucked of course but thats beside the point.

no thats cool though, exactly what i meant, would be fun if people posted their own amens, i think many of us have tried. back when i started writing drum and bass i had a project file with only my own amens, like ten of them. they all sucked of course but thats beside the point.
Well, you should take your amen back and post em! :)
I'm curious!

haha that file was on a computer i borrowed to an amphetamine addicted mate who lost it. not the file, the whole computer. how do you lose a desktop computer i asked, he said he didnt know. but i believe him, and i mourn the loss greatly, it had all my early work, hundreds of songs literally. all shit of course, but funny to hear for nostalgia i guess. i uploaded an amen track to http://www.modplug.com/ but its not there anymore, the search engine seems to be faulty

I like the edited one, sounds well angry, in a good way. Just keep playing around with it and a track should naturally form (hopefully). Some dark pads + that amen + even more edits + dirty sub = win

haha that file was on a computer i borrowed to an amphetamine addicted mate who lost it. not the file, the whole computer. how do you lose a desktop computer i asked, he said he didnt know. but i believe him, and i mourn the loss greatly, it had all my early work, hundreds of songs literally. all shit of course, but funny to hear for nostalgia i guess.
lollll!!!! fucking lost his brain!!! hahaha...

I like the edited one, sounds well angry, in a good way. Just keep playing around with it and a track should naturally form (hopefully). Some dark pads + that amen + even more edits + dirty sub = win
Yeah, i guess i need to add some different drum patterns with different timbre... to alternate with this amen.
Some comment on the synths sounds posted at the beginning of this thread?

Back
Top Bottom