Overthinking beatmatching

JHSE23

the yen
VIP Junglist
Have been mixing vinyl for years and have it all sorted, but for the past few weeks i just lost it and am having trouble keeping things locked. I reckon im overthinking things and had a look on past threads and it seems a common problem. What kinda methods you guys have for sorting this out? apart from some draw. coool

Once you think you have it locked. LEAVE IT. My mate found he was getting it perfectly locked, then just didnt leave the pitch alone after he knew he had the mix tight. Causing it to go out and sound terrible, when if he'd just left it alone and waited a couple of bars he'd have known if he should have manipulated the tune.

Get it locked and take a step back.

Once you think you have it locked. LEAVE IT. My mate found he was getting it perfectly locked, then just didnt leave the pitch alone after he knew he had the mix tight. Causing it to go out and sound terrible, when if he'd just left it alone and waited a couple of bars he'd have known if he should have manipulated the tune.

+1

This was my biggest downfall for a while.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I went through this myself, I took a break from mixing for a few weeks and went out to clubs and stuff to see people mixing live which helped no end for me personally.

But i'd say trust your 1210's. Once you've brought in a tune mid mix and switched basses for example try and keep your hand away from the pitch. If you have done enough with the pitch before you've brought in the tune, it should be locked for 32 bars of a phrase at least without any need to touch the pitch.

We've all been there, its a perfectionist's nightmare.

I have the odd day on the decks like this... some days it just works, then sometimes my beat matching is all over the shop!

The guys are right above though, it can be hard to just leave the pitch alone sometimes!

If you know how to mix then your ears to hands coordination is finely tuned. Therefore I really don't know what to say to this. It could be a bit like having a bad day at work in which case I would suggest having a good sleep. Or a six hour mix. Either way who knows.

Personally I'd look to get the decks serviced.

I usually drink triple my bodyweight in Baileys from a shoe, shout at the mrs, get REALLY fucking naked and triple drop Rick Astley riddims with Gabba and Thrash Metal.

Helps no end.

Haha this happened to me for like a year thats why i never put out a mix tape! its fucking gash! It will pass tho like everyone has said :)

Yep, x2 on this one.

I think almost everyone gets the occasional urge to nudge the record or piss about with the pitch fader when there's really no need. Best thing you can do is to get it locked, leave it a good while and then make small adjustments if you need to.

I have always found knowing if your cued tune is slightly too fast or too slow keeps ya on top of it - then you know what way you have to nudge it to keep the tunes in time. Nothing worse than having 2 tunes locked and then all of a sudden one goes out and you can't tell which one or which way (in a loud club that is).

Or to solve your issues SERNC BERTONNNNN

I have always found knowing if your cued tune is slightly too fast or too slow keeps ya on top of it - then you know what way you have to nudge it to keep the tunes in time. Nothing worse than having 2 tunes locked and then all of a sudden one goes out and you can't tell which one or which way (in a loud club that is).

Or to solve your issues SERNC BERTONNNNN

Usually to play it safe i speed the tune im queing up a little more than the tune thats playing, i find its a lot easier to slow a tune down to get it in time than to fuck about speeding it up and nudging it forward (if necessary).

Have been mixing vinyl for years and have it all sorted, but for the past few weeks i just lost it and am having trouble keeping things locked. I reckon im overthinking things and had a look on past threads and it seems a common problem. What kinda methods you guys have for sorting this out? apart from some draw. coool

You're gay for starting this thread and get them serviced, ur decks are too slow anyway!

As a general tip learning to pitch ride will sort out most problems. Might b a bit harder at first, but if you practice it becomes easier to lock stuff and it stays locked! Also you dont have to touch the vinyl which stops any audible difference in sound compared to nudging

As a general tip learning to pitch ride will sort out most problems. Might b a bit harder at first, but if you practice it becomes easier to lock stuff and it stays locked! Also you dont have to touch the vinyl which stops any audible difference in sound compared to nudging

I never nudge forward anymore, i used to be terrible, giving the spindle the old twisty twisty.

Now, i just start a tune faster than the one thats playing, gently touch the platter (not the record) until it slides back in time with the tune thats playing, then pitch ride til its locked.

Im not fucking about riding the pitch until the tune is in the mix. If the upfader isnt up, i'll manipulate the record/platter as much as i want lol. But once the tunes in the mix, i'll stick to the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom