Over Producing?

D-Tektiv

VIP Junglist
It seems that some of the tunes I make that get the biggest response, are the ones I worked the least amount of time on. Well, did long session when starting the tune, then a few times here and there before finished. Possibly because over time workin' on a tune, you hear it so much, you start to take away to much, or add unneccesary samples to it, etc. I usually start to take a break for a while from the tune, when I feel like I'm "forcing" samples into it. Come back for a fresh listen later, etc.
Anyone else ever deal with this? Where people seem to like the ones you spent the least time on over the ones you put more into? It's just crazy how it works out like that, as I don't think there's really a standard amount of time you should work on a tune really. Hit or miss i guess you can say.

Yea I've had the same problem, as they say Simple is better! But it becomes your baby and all you want to do is give it everything the last song didnt have! It is tricky when you are listening to a track over and over again tho!:P

I find it's just the other way around... The best tunes I've made, I've kept in the drawer for months and months before I actually finish them. The funny thing is, I've actually considered all those tunes finished after a few hours, but when I go back, I always find better solutions to them.

I find it's just the other way around... The best tunes I've made, I've kept in the drawer for months and months before I actually finish them. The funny thing is, I've actually considered all those tunes finished after a few hours, but when I go back, I always find better solutions to them.

Yeah true, I've had some I abandoned for a bit, and came back to and topped off.

Yea I've had the same problem, as they say Simple is better! But it becomes your baby and all you want to do is give it everything the last song didnt have! It is tricky when you are listening to a track over and over again tho!:P

Yes indeed. you get stoked hearin' it first laid out, etc., but then you get weary a bit from repetitive listenin' in a short time. Tricky at times..

Mate! This happens to me all the time lol

I tend to ruin stuff i spend ages on! Mainly due to over listenin an then settleing with the best idea, out the ideas ive tried many times, even tho its not the best potential of the tune? If that makes sence???

An the stuff i actually do like in my tunes isnt appreciated by others i find completly simple shit is loved up alot more, which is a bit of a pisstake really. Simple is better tho and it aint about fillin 1 track with many ideas. I find these type of tracks are more appreciated over time.

Programs are so limitless nowadays tho, an u....well i find myself with an abundance of directions to take which is quite annoyin.

What i keep doing is gettin bored/frustrated with the same loop, an i tend to start new tracks constantly using different ideas in each of them, then after alot of tracks have been made, i make a hybrid of the best bits of the multiple 'failures'. It some wat works out, but i now have a heap of unfinished tunes! Which is ridiculous! An very unorganised! :confused:

P.s In the past week or so ive started about 5-6 tracks an havent finished any just keep opening an adding to each one till i get bored! I rekon its the fact that im doing them all on headphones (not even good ones standard ipod ones) which is more than likely limiting my potential!

Last edited:
Mate! This happens to me all the time lol

I tend to ruin stuff i spend ages on! Mainly due to over listenin an then settleing with the best idea, out the ideas ive tried many times, even tho its not the best potential of the tune? If that makes sence???

An the stuff i actually do like in my tunes isnt appreciated by others i find completly simple shit is loved up alot more, which is a bit of a pisstake really. Simple is better tho and it aint about fillin 1 track with many ideas. I find these type of tracks are more appreciated over time.

Programs are so limitless nowadays tho, an u....well i find myself with an abundance of directions to take which is quite annoyin.

What i keep doing is gettin bored/frustrated with the same loop, an i tend to start new tracks constantly using different ideas in each of them, then after alot of tracks have been made, i make a hybrid of the best bits of the multiple 'failures'. It some wat works out, but i now have a heap of unfinished tunes! Which is ridiculous! An very unorganised! :confused:

P.s In the past week or so ive started about 5-6 tracks an havent finished any just keep opening an adding to each one till i get bored! I rekon its the fact that im doing them all on headphones (not even good ones standard ipod ones) which is more than likely limiting my potential!

I hear what you're sayin'. I sometimes abandon a track, start a new one and realize that some elements from the abandoned track would work well in the new one, so take from that and add to the new, etc.,etc..yeah endless possibilites indeed. Simple is nice, just as well as you can appreciate a complex tune as well..probably why my tunes are so chill, because i kinda keep 'em simple, but i like 'em, ya know? And someone told me before, just make tunes that make YOU happy, don't worry about pleasing everyone else, because you can't please everyone, etc. So as long as I feel 'em, I'm good with it. I just push myself more, which is why i abandon tunes as well, as I feel, it's not a level i want to go with in production, etc..tryin' to better myself each track, as I'm sure all producers do. Thanks for the words bro, pz & respect to ya'.

I tend to do this as well...

The thing is though when it gets to the point where you feel like your forcing yourself to finish a tune, then thats when it starts to fall apart...
You need to be excited about the track and enjoy what your doing, then everything seem's to flow much better.

If I'm going to be working on a track for a few hours then I tend to take breaks once an hour or so... even if its just sitting in front of the TV for 15 mins or so... just something to get you away from it all for a bit. I find that when I come back to it new ideas just come straight away because it feels almost like I'm looking at the track from a different angle.

its about confidence i feel. were getting to know what works for our tunes at the moment. george lucas said a project is never really finished, its only abandoned, but i think a big part of being an artist is knowing when to stop.
we said a long time ago everything has to be big. no meaningless tambourines or barely audiable fx, nothing to make it over worked, every sound has to be as heavy as a 5 ton crypt door closing behind you for the last time.
having said that, with dam nation we put in so much effort in the tune weve made an art form of over worked

its all about having a break like people have said or even working on a number of tracks at the same time and switching between :)

difrnt strokes for difrnt folks, my mate billy says he works on one track at a time, preferably finishing it in one sitting or so, so as not to lose the vibe, whereas i love starting new projects so im constantly working on bout 6 tunes with a back catalog of 573489 unfinished songs. :rinsed:

difrnt strokes for difrnt folks, my mate billy says he works on one track at a time, preferably finishing it in one sitting or so, so as not to lose the vibe, whereas i love starting new projects so im constantly working on bout 6 tunes with a back catalog of 573489 unfinished songs. :rinsed:

you knows this is a truth.

its too easy to hate your own tune having heard the same bass loop for 2 hours straight.

try makin somat thats not dnb for a change, you might suprise yourself the inspiration you get from no-where

but its true that the simplest tunes are usually the best.

thats wat i do get the tune more or less finished then come back to it an cleean it up a bit.
if i dont get it nearly done in the first sittin itll rarely get finished

id say thats why 90% of the tunes i start dont get finished. I start them and they sound great, then i do too much and it starts soundingin sh**.

i guess its all down to personality and how you work.

im kinda opposite, i love fx and pads in the background ect.
rarely is there a point in any of my tunes now where its just drum and bass.
although i have breaks from making drum and bass and make dubstep for abit.
then il go back to drum and bass when i havent listened to the dnb tunes ive made for a while

im kinda opposite, i love fx and pads in the background ect.
rarely is there a point in any of my tunes now where its just drum and bass.
although i have breaks from making drum and bass and make dubstep for abit.
then il go back to drum and bass when i havent listened to the dnb tunes ive made for a while

im with this guy,
i like to work with about 30 layers in my tunes, loads of automations, pads, subtle effects and pitch bends, i cant bear a basic sounding song from myself, but like everyone said, you can over do it sometimes, but i think you know yourself when its sounding silly

Hmm been workin on a song for 2 weeks now and i just abandoned it couz something inside me just didnt wanted me to double click the Fl Studio icon, but i found a song which i have been listening for a whole day now on repeat and this song gave me so much inspiration and a wish to make something smashing and crazy, so i was in Fl whole day, and made something sounding rly rly goood.. So if ur feelin down just listen to some good music and open up ur daw and start creating, couz yeh like it was sayd before, u have to enjoy what ur doing and it shouldnt be forsed. :D
Btw the song is Fallout - Hesitate(Spor and Toxin remix)

I tend to do this as well...

The thing is though when it gets to the point where you feel like your forcing yourself to finish a tune, then thats when it starts to fall apart...
You need to be excited about the track and enjoy what your doing, then everything seem's to flow much better.
If I'm going to be working on a track for a few hours then I tend to take breaks once an hour or so... even if its just sitting in front of the TV for 15 mins or so... just something to get you away from it all for a bit. I find that when I come back to it new ideas just come straight away because it feels almost like I'm looking at the track from a different angle.

Yeah, that's when i end up in a long first session, when i'm stoked with what i'm workin' with...also take a break here and there, get somethin' to eat/drink, etc..usually still have the tune kinda goin' thru my head at the stoppin' point to think of what could go in, etc..or as ya said, look at the tv a bit, clear ya mind of it...pz bro

Back
Top Bottom