Over beatmatching while recording.

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
I've got into some evil habbit which isint doing me any favours.

When im recording a mix I want the beatmatching to be 100% locked, not 99.99% in, but 100% in. Im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. Even tho the beats are matched and it sounds fine, i still find my self trying get rid of that milisecond slip between the beats. This only happens when i'm recording.
How can I get out of this?

you cant... i find i'm the same when recording mixes (even radio), when i listen back to them im like oh god no! at some of the 'clangery'... however, leave that mix for a month or two, come back when you have forgotten which mixes you didnt get 100% and you'll now find they almsot have dissapeared! (y)

I'm a bit like that Toungeflap and I find taking the headphones off and relaxing my shoulders during the mix helps. It's a neurosis to focus so much on one thing so anything that takes your mind off it should help minimise it.

I also try and use the crossfader more...anything that makes mixing more fun and less a trial of accuracy and endurance lol! I find you can still be in time even if you're not 100% concentrated on it...

its crazy, im not even clanging (normally, haha), its like im trying to beatmatch something that is beatmatched. So like beatmatching 1 tune at 178.02 to the other which is 178...

Arghh

Last edited:
Yep I'm exactly the same, most of my clangs are as a result of overdoing it! Fucking annoying but I think it's just gonna take time to learn to stop over correcting!

Yep I'm exactly the same, most of my clangs are as a result of overdoing it! Fucking annoying but I think it's just gonna take time to learn to stop over correcting!

haha. im absolutely the same. my mixes fit 100% and then im thinking - well that doesnt fit - and then im adjusting it till it realy doesnt fit anymore. D:

yea i do that quite often
beats are on time sounding fine but i still feel i shud be correcting it
i think it may be from wen your learning and you need to be correcting all the time now it just makes it worse.lol

Its a weird one, sometimes i feel like i try too hard, most of the best mixes ive had have just been easy and chilled, being stoned hepls for me.

I was playing out on saturday, thought my mix was falling out of time, looked at the mixer and only one tune was playing.

Think everyone get's it to some extent, just depends on your personality how much it bothers you.

Last edited:
Ha so funny you say this pete cos I was having the exact same dilema the other week doing a practice recording of my latest mix!! Its a massive massive pita but the only advice I can give is to literally let the tunes go out of time, leave the pitch alone for 10-15 seconds and then distinguish where its going wrong..

Jesus its been a while since I last thought about beatmatching techniques lol!

Ha so funny you say this pete cos I was having the exact same dilema the other week doing a practice recording of my latest mix!! Its a massive massive pita but the only advice I can give is to literally let the tunes go out of time, leave the pitch alone for 10-15 seconds and then distinguish where its going wrong..

Jesus its been a while since I last thought about beatmatching techniques lol!

I think its because I know I am recording, so my brain is telling me it must be perfect and 99.9% beatmatched isint perfect, so I must re-beatmatch and close that 1%. I wish I was just a normal music 'listener' somedays. I cant listen to music anymore without working out whats wrong with it. Must be the same for my mixing. Meh..

agree with every statement so far, as it has been dsaid i think its basically impossible not to over do it when you want perfection, its just one of those things

Back
Top Bottom