Out of the studio

Profundis

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to these forums here, so forgive me for barging in without a proper introduction and starting to ask all kinds of shit immediately.

Anyway. I've been making drum n bass for some time now, basically creating and editing samples in all different kinds of little freeware apps and arranging it all in GarageBand (I know, I know... But hey, it works!).

Now my question is, how can I take this out of my room, into a live performance setting? I'd like to be able to select what samples I play with my computer, like for example Ableton Live or Propellerhead ReBirth (or Reason as well, for that matter). Thing is, I don't have a lot of money (in fact, at this very moment I'm broke for a while) and I certainly don't want to crack any software.

Any suggestions? I have both Mac and Windows laptops at my disposal, so either platform will work for me.

Thanks in advance!

2 options:

Cracked software or earn money.

Or you can keep using aa shitload on free apps and Garageband but that is not the ideal way of working I guess. Not that you can't make anything nice with it though.
I should start using different software which is more reliable when performing on stage.

Hey Artfx, your sig is bigger than my entire browser window.. any chance you could make it, like, 5% of its current obnoxious size?

Reaper. It's $60 to buy (around £40?) and it's very powerful. I made the mistake of assuming because it was far cheaper it would be terrible.. how wrong was I. I prefer it to the likes of reason & fruity loops studio.

There's a evaluation version (doesn't expire but it's limited) here if you want to give it a try: http://www.reaper.fm/

Last edited:
just stick with Garageband for a while, i used it for the longest time, then got Reason and Ableton Live. Show your self (and all of us) that you know how to use all the instuments.

Ableton is the only way to make decent live music, you might wants midi controllers though.

Yeah I dont think its limited in any way. Havent bought one yet, there's always been something 'more important' to do with my hard earned pennies. Still mostly use FLStudio but I do most of my post processing (mixdown and a bit of audio editing, even editing the song structure around) in Reaper. The only downside is that it doesnt come with any comprehensive softsynth or samples.

Will have to buy it tho, gotta support their style.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Reaper is pretty good. It gives you a lot of creative freedom (plus it's crossplatform so it allows for easy collaboration with my mates with just a Windows based system). The only downside is that they want to limit commercial use to the paid versions. Realistically, you're free to ignore that and use it however you like, but I have my ethical problems with that. If I had the money I would surely support them. It's a worthy cause.

Like I said, GarageBand works fine for creating the sounds and tracks, in conjunction with freeware apps like Hydrogen. I know how to make tracks alright. Performing them live is my problem.

I'm slowly learning to write computer programs, and eventually I'll try to write software that puts all the samples at my fingertips, like Ableton Live or ReBirth. Until then I need to find something else that allows me to loops my samples live, turn them on and off at will, while they are all automatically synchronized...

Buy a bigger screen.

boom

Also.... If you wanna do stuff live, you NEED money mate. Sorry but there are no 2 ways about it. Get some hardware. Maybe a Korg Kaoss Pad or something? They are LOADS of fun to play with.

Ableton Live Lite is availiable for free I think. Don't know if you need the full version to do live stuff though?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom