Out of interest, how many of you guys have got a label release?

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Just a random question, I am interested to hear. Any type of label, freenet, indie, etc. (I don't really know all the different types? :lol:)

Don't matter if its dnb, could be something fresh of yours or perhaps something from your old alias when you used to be big in the techno scene! If there are any ex genre peoples that is. :lol:

Post em up, interested to listen :)

*disclaimer - im going to use this situation to have a rant, sorry if this annoys anybody, and sorry if it seems like a shit on your thread*

i signed a few tunes before, but you come to realise that in this day in age it means absolutely nothing to have a track on beatport. as far as i'm aware basically all labels are independent. theres always another random guy starting up a label who signs producers who arent good enough yet, no offense to anybody but take this TDM records (for example) who signs people on here, (in my personal opinion hes pushing average music) and while producers think " i finally did it.. i got signed" it fools them into thinking that they have really written the best possible tracks they could have, and they end up settling for less, because it gives you a sense of achievement. Were all so desperate for credibility that we are rushing ourselves simply to get signed, and not to write absolute quality music, which should be our number one priority. Thus the market has become saturated with rubbish.

Granted that some producers who have signed and released music on these lower level labels, have gone on to do bigger and better things, but there extremely far and few between. Maybe one person on each of those start up labels might actually go on to sign with a large dnb label eventually. The rest of them will most likely keep producing the same consistency they already have been, and never really develop any new skills and push themselves. (not to mention, you will not get paid..)
I mentioned in another thread how people within the community produce for different reasons, what is better to add the prestige of feeling like a producer than releasing music officially on juno or itunes?

There are professional producers who do this full-time and earn there income from it, those are the people who deserve to have their records purchased. This trend of so many young producers trying to get signed as quick as possible reflects badly on the market and it waters down the overall quality of drum and bass being made at the moment!!

i know nobody wants to hear that stuff, and quite possibly all of that will go unappreciated. but i felt need to get it off my chest!!

thanks dude,

but having said that i wouldnt want to try and stop anybody here from getting signed, it does great stuff for your networking, and you just may be that guy who benefits and goes on to bigger and better labels!!

Wow nice input! Should this be changed into a label debate thread? :P

I agree with your point totally though dude :) If I were to see my tune on beatport though that wouldn't wanna make me settle on an average tune but wanna make the next one even better! I thought most people would be like that though?

I like what you are saying about anyone being able to start a label though. If I had spare cash and did a bit of research I could search around and get any tunes out by producers that may still be creating pretty poor tracks. But they would still get out there, possibly not bought though! :lol:

Just to throw it out there, I don't have a release!

I could write a fair bit about what d-low is touching on. The short of it is don't settle for a net label that is just going to upload your piece to juno and forget about it.
I remember that desperation of wanting to get signed anywhere leading to the realization that it had no effect. In fact, it has negative effects as you loose control of how your work is being promoted and distributed. I ended up working to regain rights to certain tracks and changing my artist alias. That being said, I'll still do the occasional piece or remix for net labels that seem interesting to me.

Any case, the bulk of my work is on my own label if you want to count that. :teeth:

Latest release is a remix on Syncopathic:

Last edited:
Most certainly count that my friend! Will check out your label for sure, might bag some stuff if any of it takes me liking! :)

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Dude, feeling the babylon calling EP!

Most certainly count that my friend! Will check out your label for sure, might bag some stuff if any of it takes me liking! :)

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Dude, feeling the babylon calling EP!

cheers :)

Syncopathic is Sub's label. Mine is Pinecone Moonshine.

Just like to add my 2 cents to this debate. I totally agree with the saturation of shit music but places other than Beatport, Itunes and Juno, are actually very strict with what they accept to release/represent on their sites. And also, thanks to all these shit labels being in abundance (not to mention a quick means to make some extra cash for equipment etc) we personally would never of started our own label. We don't intend to add to the saturation of shit either (well that's the aim lol). Its all about quality control and hopefully we can achieve that overtime.
I sense this thread going on a massive tangent ahaha good points all round tho.

Last edited:
Oh dayum, feel like a fool now :l

Reread your post paying full attention and your most recent release isn't your label! I will check out yours now :D

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

I sense this thread going on a massive tangent ahaha good points all round tho.

Nevermind, who doesn't like a good debate! :P

i would like to add to the questions if anyone is willing to answer:

after getting a track signed or whatever, how much £ have you made from it? in other words, are people buying it?

That is interesting dude :) Will check out SYNCO014 next!

I was just having a listen to the clips of the most recent release on your site, cool releases! Like deepish, ambient and simply a little bizarre, which I am sure you won't mind me saying! :) Keep em coming :D

I was just having a listen to the clips of the most recent release on your site, cool releases! Like deepish, ambient and simply a little bizarre, which I am sure you won't mind me saying! :)

Haha that's pretty much the label premise; anything goes structure and arrangement wise as long as it fits the over all ambient/dissonant tone. I would say the latest release is about as traditional dnb as we have done in a long while.

I started my own label in january, I had two releases on it since then.
and I've signed some pretty great artists.
I think the worst releases were actually my own haha, so I hope I'm not "saturating the market".

I started my own label not to get money, but to help me get gigs.
If I mail certain events about getting a gig I notice they are more interested if they see I have got releases on Juno and beatport.
with my own label every outsider doesn't know the actual sales figures, so I look more important than I really am. and looking important is helping me getting gigs.

the sales on my own label were only a few sold copies. Juno pays out when sales reach at least 50 pounds so I'd probably get paid for the releases in about a years time.

I recebtly got signed at TDM Records mentioned above,
thought I'd try it out to see what the sales would be.
I totally agree with what's d-low is saying above, people might get fooled by thinking "I finally did it".
but I don't completely agree with the point that people will settle for less.
Sales will only be great if you made a great track, having something mediocre released will only get you a few bucks.

Sales will only be great if you made a great track, having something mediocre released will only get you a few bucks.

wait, so you're saying... if its shit then people wont buy it?

mind-blown.gif

I had a track signed (in signature) after I was asked about it by someone from Altosync (Eleventh Sun's label)......... I've still not received the contracted quarterly sales stats or payment from them (it's been about a year now). One to avoid imo!

Back
Top Bottom