Other than DnB...

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
What bands/artists do people draw their influences from.

I understand how people can be influenced by artists from a niche in their preffered genre but I'd love to know who/what makes people tick in terms of (dare I Say it??) 'None Drum & Bass' music.

I'm a MASSIVE fan of metal music: Lamb of God, Black Label Society, Slipknot, etc...
I also love bands like: Muse, Rage Against the Machine, Kaiser Cheifs, Scissors Sisters, Mumford and Sons...

Also love my hip hop... Delinquent Habits are fuckin incredible... you HAVE to check em out!

OK... Maybe this should be a "List your favourite none drum and bass/dubstep band/artist" post...

but whatever...

Anyway its 10 past 12 on a Sunday evening... so imma shut up now...

DISCUSS!

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

hmmm.... hello eidt... pretty pissed...

im also a muse fan :D
used to beinto a lot of metal like From autmn to ashes, bring me the horizon, etc.
also ska like the specials and madness, and motown, stuf like micheal jackson
punky stuff like nofx and older blink,
then also like rocky stuff like rage, acrtic monkeys etc.
beatles, to slipknot and bring me the horzion. literaly, i really like trip hop and downbeat chill out stuff too atm

Yeah, I'm pretty much all in drum and bass, but I do appreciate other genres. That said, I do like my jazz, and you people should check out Soil and Pimp Sessions. It's jazz, but injected with steroids and crack. Also Robert Glasper for smooth piano business in the morning. Other than that, I don't make a point out of listening to any other genres, but if it's good music, it's good music

all other genres... but mainly ska punk and reggae for dnb influences!

jazzy, 50's rock/blues type stuff also good for inspiration!

Massive fan of Muse too, Origin of Symmetry was the first bit of decent music I ever bought and kick started my love for music - My boss helped produce their first album and a couple of tracks off of Absolution, I'm hoping he'll introduce me to the band one day! :D
Other inspiration would have to be bands like Tool, Nirvana, Radiohead, early Placebo, The Mars Volta, 65daysofstatic, Lamb.
In terms of electronic music, I'm really into Eskmo's style of production at the moment. I also love my dark/nuskool breakbeat and techy electro, plus artists like Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, etc...

To be honest I try not to draw influence from dnb, I find when I hear something another dnb artist has done, then try and put my own spin on it, I quickly loose interest in the track and the idea drys up pretty quick - normally I listen to a lot of hip hop, jazz, soul, classical scores - infact if it's music and I like it I listen, best to keep your palette as broad as possible

Back
Top Bottom