Original Sin Q&A

DjTiesticles

VIP Junglist
This well get some of your cocks hard.

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=632115&mode=article

DOA: How did you first get into Drum & Bass? What are some of the tracks that you'd say were instrumental in you getting into the scene?

Original Sin: When I was 12, I used to buy bouncy techno from a record shop called Bass Generator (or Bassy G's if you're local!). The guy behind the counter was always playing jungle and DnB in between the techno and I was like "what the hell is this? It's crazy!". I then discovered 1 In The Jungle on (BBC) Radio 1, which was hosted by MC Navigator, among others. The more "arty", intelligent side of DnB came to me through the mini documentary on LTJ Bukem on channel 4 and Goldie's Timeless LP, which I nicked off a mate! There are lots of DnB tunes/albums from all different corners of the scene made me fall in love with the music. To name a few I'd say...

Goldie Timeless
Grooverider Prototype Years
PFM "One and Only" & "The Western"
Still Smokin' EP (Ganja)
Jonny L Sawtooth
Legally Stoned (???)

I'm big on listening to albums, as you can see.

DOA: When did you first start producing? What were you trying to accomplish when you wrote your first few tracks?

Original Sin: I began seriously producing (or trying to) when I was around 17/18, but there were earlier expeditions into productions when I was like 14/15. I guess I was just trying to actually make a tune with a beginning, middle and end, that didn't make your ears bleed. It took a long time, well over half a decade!

DOA: When did you first meet DJ Hype and the Playaz crew?

Original Sin: My first encounter with Hype was when he called me up at the office while I was working under the name G Dub at Formation. We had just started the label Propaganda Recordings and the first release was "Hawaii Five O", which he wanted to tell us he was playing.

DOA: We imagine a lot of people might not know that you were one half of Generation Dub. What's it like working alone as opposed to working on tracks with a partner? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Original Sin: I definitely prefer working alone on most aspects of a track. But then I'm not really working alone as I send everything to Hype about halfway through just to make sure I'm not going off on a tangent. And as I share a studio with Taxman, Jaydan and my ex DJ partner Jake (now producing as Sub Zero) inevitably people pass comment on stuff and you can take it or leave it.

I think that making a DnB instrumental tune is a bit of a one man job and can be done quicker by one person with a clear vision of what they want rather than two people who aren't quite on the same wavelength, pulling the tune in 2 directions at once

DOA: Why did G Dub part ways?

Original Sin: I was making all the music and not getting any credit for it. Even now people are shocked when I tell them. I'm like "don't you read the credits on the vinyl?"; it got so bad that even after I did the "Monkey Boy" remix for Goldie under my Original Sin guise, he didn't recognise me when I said hello in a club in Germany... he was expecting to see Jake's face!

DOA: Your latest release is an EP on Playaz, Dr. Feels Good, which is getting a great reception from loads of heads. The title track is definitely a departure for you, something of an anthem if we do say so ourselves. Were you looking to make something a bit bigger, a bit more special than the usual tear out tune?

Original Sin: I never really set out to do anything except write what I'm feeling or work around something that inspires me, like a bit of vocal for instance. That was the case with "Dr Feels Good". I've got a modest acapella library at the studio; I pulled out the "come with me" vocal to go over the piano part, which I had written the day before just before I left the studio and built the track around that. I'm continually attempting to push myself musically, and not just as an engineer, because I believe you need both parts to succeed. I think if you look at my releases over a period of time you will see the progression.

P.S. If you sit in the studio beforehand and say "I'm gonna make a big tune" chances are, you're not!

DOA: How does it feel to have heads like Grooverider, Andy C, Pendulum as well as DJ Hype behind the tracks you're working on?

Original Sin: Oh it's awful; I don't know how I can bear it! Seriously though, it's wicked to have the support of people, no matter who they are, but it is definitely good if they carry some weight in the scene and they are artists/DJs who I look up to and respect.

DOA: How would you describe the Original Sin sound?

Original Sin: Continually evolving in style, but always energetic, music with a hint of blood sweat and tears.

DOA: Speaking of blood, sweat and tears, congratulations on picking up two awards at this year's DnB Awards ceremony! How does it feel to get that kind of recognition from the fans?

Original Sin: When it comes down to it, the people who are doing good things know because they know what their DJ diary looks like or how many records they’re selling. But I was so pleased to win those awards; it was like people were saying "OK, we accept Original Sin now", which is wicked because I'm always wary of people's perceptions after the whole G Dub scenario.

I was in Toronto when I got the call from Magika, when I heard I'd won two awards I went straight out and spent $200 on champagne (and drank it all!), but I wasn't allowed to tell people I'd won, so the guys over there just thought I'd lost the plot!

DOA: Not to get too ahead of your current success, but the rumor mill has you working on an artist album? Any truth to this chatter? If so, any idea of when the massive can expect to pick this up, and what we can anticipate hearing on this?

Original Sin: Truth! It's titled Grow Your Wings. I have been working on it in earnest for about hmmm 5/6/7 months. I've lost count now, but there are ideas that I've had for longer than that on the project too.

You can expect to hear the unexpected but I promise you this, it will be 100 percent DRUM AND BASS, as I believe our music is diverse enough to fill out 12 track album without deviating from the task in hand. I'm making sure there is a good balance of music and what I'm known for on there so as not to alienate my current fans and hopefully gain a few new ones. I may only be known for a certain type of DnB at the moment, but I love the music in all of its forms and my album will reflect that.

DOA: Who do you consider to be some of your peers in the scene today?

Original Sin: I'm not sure I like this question as it leaves me open to debate and you're basically asking me "who do you think you're as good as?"; I'm basing this on my unreleased material so you may not agree... here goes... TC, Hazard, Clipz, Taxman.

DOA: Can we get a current top 10 from you?

Original Sin: I've done too many top tens this week, but why not?

Original Sin – Therapy – Playaz
Jakes – War Face (D*Minds Remix) – D Style
Jaydan – Ghetto – Ganja
Taxman – Harry's Revenge - ???
Original Sin – Pimp Don't Limp - ???
Clipz - Give It To Me – Audio Zoo
Hazard – Tactix - ???
Original Sin - Dr Feels Good EP - Playaz
Jaydan - Fear Factor - ???
Heist - Meat Shield - ???

DOA: You've done remixes for Rufige Kru, Ebony Dubsters and G Dub. Any remix work we can look out for?

Original Sin: D*Minds "T-10" and Clipz "Download"... I was asked to do "Tomb Raider" by Fresh, but we couldn't quite agree on terms so I don't think that's happening now.

DOA: In general, do you have any releases lined up for 2009 after the EP?

Original Sin: Look out for "Seen" b/w "97 Style" by myself and Taxman (my brother) and my forthcoming album Original Sin Grow Your Wings on Playaz.

DOA: Do you have any shouts to kick before we wrap this up?

Original Sin: Shouts to, Hype, Pascal, Taxman, Jaydan, Hazard, Goldie, Grooverider, Clipz, Pendulum, Kerrang, Jeryl @ Infectious PR and Innovation Artist Agency

Really want to hear these new tracks...wonder if the drums will change with the new style..?

I think so, keep hearing more and more amens in his and Taxman sets, airy breakdowns with jungley FX and nice deep bass. Check Taxmans tune "Dreamland" too.

Really hoping he'll mix it up a bit for the album, I reckon there'll be some nice surprises on there when it drops....

Cheers for that. I am looking forward to this album so fucking much its unreal!!!

I think Original Sin is an awesome producer and I can't wait for the album it's gonna be huge

I'm also quite glad that the Tomb Raider remix fell through because that tune is such a classic and doesn't need a remix

I think slightly less "classic" tunes like Download and T-10 are much better projects for the remix tip :)

Big up Original Sin

It'll certainly be interesting to hear the different styles on the album

There's a few vocal bits floating around, and quite a number of Jungle style tunes, "R-Bass", "Your Love" and "Kiss" are 3 I can think of off the top of my head

Hopefully the album won't take forever to come out so things are still kept pretty fresh

But it's shaping up very nicely :)

There's a few vocal bits floating around, and quite a number of Jungle style tunes, "R-Bass", "Your Love" and "Kiss" are 3 I can think of off the top of my head

Hopefully the album won't take forever to come out so things are still kept pretty fresh

But it's shaping up very nicely :)

Ive got a strange feeling its scheduled for later this year and they way the Playaz camp are doing things at the minute it should be.
That whole stable of labels seems to be having a new release every week.
Mash you down is on Monday and after that is it the second part to Jaydans King of Miami ep and then im thinking possibly the Original sin album.

Ive got a strange feeling its scheduled for later this year and they way the Playaz camp are doing things at the minute it should be.
Mash you down is on Monday and after that is it the second part to Jaydans King of Miami ep and then im thinking possibly the Original sin album.

No way man. There will be a heap of stuff before then. I'll be suprised if it even comes out this year.

The album won't come out until the end of the year

Are you forgetting we're only just starting June? lol

There is plenty of releases to come out of the Playaz camp before the OS album

We're still waiting on ...

Hazard:
Up To No Good
Watch Your Teeth
2 For 1
Pimpin's Big Business

Busted VIP / 0121 VIP (THIS SHOULD SOOOOO BE A FOURTHCOMING PLAYAZ RELEASE!)

Taxman:
Harry's Revenge
Dreamland
Terminator X
Bass Hertz
Fist Of The North Star

A few collabs with Heist

Orginal Sin:
Immaculate Conception VIP?
Therapy? (Might be held back for the album, but then it will have been on dub for around a year?! Maybe too long?)
Trinity
Pimp Don't Limp

These are all tunes from just 3 different arists from the camp, I'm sure there's plenty of fourthcoming stuff as well from Crystal Clear, Potential Badboy, Jaydan, Heist etc...

I know next up on Propaganda after the Jaydan 12" is a Heist 12", and I'm sure that Jaydan - The Shadows / Ghetto is coming on Ganja very very soon

So lots to come before the OS album I'm sure!

Last edited:
HaHa it looks like I was trying to convince myself of something that will never happen lol.

HaHa it looks like I was trying to convince myself of something that will never happen lol.

I'm sure if you can message him on myspace telling him how you can hook him up with some sexy women he'll give you a preview copy of the album as soon as one is available

Back
Top Bottom