Organising mp3s properly

triaxiom

Just started ripping all my vinyl to mp3 (Yeh I know, but I'm lazy), and same as plenty of others I have literally crates of vinyl all the way back to '87.
Everything from acid house, to early hardcore, Jungle, Drum and bass, progressive and deep house and Techno when D&B became seriously shit for a few years around '98, and then 2001-2006 D & B.

I mostly know my tunes by the sleeves or the vinyl label, so I now have a folder of mp3s (1.2 GB and it's barely begun) that I mostly don't recognise without listening to them.

Anyone else had this dilemma? How do you organise 'em?

are you saying you don't know the actual names of a lot of your tunes, and now you've ripped them you don't know what to label the mp3s?

if you've got the catalog number rolldabeats.com could find artist/title maybe

otherwise I dunno....divide up into one folder for each sub-genre perhaps?

make sure all your id3 tags follow the same format. (i also give a brief description or subgenre - ex - (Lenzman - Bittersweet - drum & bass / liquid)) its easy to do it in your DVS of choice (i use traktor and you can choose what data to input and it corrects the id3 tag on the mp3. delete or folder shit you will never play. keep your dj drive very very well manicured.

sounds a bit weird tbh..how did you know what you were buying, when you bought them?

whats wierd about that... got bare tunes on CD, often forget what artist/tune relates to which track... with vinyl you have visual clues (y)

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

make sure all your id3 tags follow the same format. (i also give a brief description or subgenre - ex - (Lenzman - Bittersweet - drum & bass / liquid)) its easy to do it in your DVS of choice (i use traktor and you can choose what data to input and it corrects the id3 tag on the mp3. delete or folder shit you will never play. keep your dj drive very very well manicured.

or, right click and go to properties... can edit ID3's in there (i even made a thread bout it recently if you can be arsed to look through my topics started)

i use this one for editing my id3 tags: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Save my 320's in a folder organised by artist A to Z,
but have a folder containing everything by album/ep as well. One folder = one record. With a pic of the record sleeve instead of the folder icon.

really... a program? see i thought this was the case till i made a thread on here and got flamed by the geek squad for not just using right click!

really... a program? see i thought this was the case till i made a thread on here and got flamed by the geek squad for not just using right click!

Mate, i hate the right click properties thing. Seriously, i had tons of tags to fill in, and i'm not doing that the slow way.
If the geek squad would download and use it, they would drop their arguments soon.

Time won = time to mix imo

Mate, i hate the right click properties thing. Seriously, i had tons of tags to fill in, and i'm not doing that the slow way.
If the geek squad would download and use it, they would drop their arguments soon.

Time won = time to mix imo

i see... so does this program streamline the editing process... interesting!

i see... so does this program streamline the editing process... interesting!

i'd recommend.

Benefits:
you can transfer tags to filename or vice versa by selecting what your filename (should) consist(s) of. (example: %artist% - %title%)
you can manage the pics that are added into the file (the album cover that is shown in music progs)
you can automaticly number the songs of an album

Screenprint:

sht_main.png

fuck it... might just DL that, is it free? adding of images would be well handy being a producer & dj!

yes, absolutely free.

i had to check and edit 900 songs, not all vinyl rips though.
+ i did my mixes folder as well: 200 mixes.

Back
Top Bottom