Drum & Bass Orchestral Drum & Bass work in progress

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by melophobie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. melophobie

melophobie New Member

Hiho everybody and welcome to my first post in this forum ;)

I could need some help and critics for my Drum & Bass-Test, as I normally produce (harder) electronic music than this.
    In general I have problems with the sound, especially with my Synth. In this test it's a synth made of 3 synth (nearly 3 times the same, but other effects, settings and specially filters to split the frequencies) + subbass.
    I've tried to EQ some unwanted sounds out of the synth, but it's too hard because it's undefined in general. Any tips for me?
    The Intro seems a little bit long, but the track should be around 6 minutes when finished.

Greetings, Lars

2. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

This intro is awesome, it would be a great build up in a move and the way its mixed into this track is sweet. yeah you have some conflicting frequencies defiantly.
    i would say mute your sounds one by one tell you find out what sounds are battling for space. once you find the culprit, you have a few options you could use side-chaining, notching, stereo placement adjustments or just eliminate a sound as a whole if you cant seem to fit it in at all. good luck. nice start though.
    before i leave i should say i'm new at the whole production thing but these are things i would try.

keep it up

3. melophobie

melophobie New Member

Thanks for your post, just edited the synth a little bit, less stereo-spread. Sidechain is on the subbass.

I've tried to EQ stuff before, but the synth kills me. I think the problem is, it's 3 synths, but if I delete 2 synth to handle the one better, it totally sounds different. Will try again the next days.

Another question was, how do you guys play the subbass? My subbass plays the same notes like the synth, also there is no pause between the notes, the attack of the subbass is extreme small too, hope you guys know what I try to say :D

4. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

hom, sounding nice. don't know much about neurofunk myself so take this with a pinch of salt.
    the orchestral stuff is certainly missing the "spread" and "room" of proper orchestral, so maybe that's something to look into. slight unison may help some instruments, and I'd like to hear the wooden sounds in the strings brought out a bit more.
    as for the drums, it's all sounding nice, but i think the intro drums blur into the main drums a little taking away some of the impact. maybe you could drop an effect on them so they're not quite part of the bulk of the track. the impact of the drop could be bigger too, as you obviously want this hard hitting and moshy ;) A little sidechaining might help punch the drums out too, as the long bassline and sweeping strings take away a little of the sharpness. perhaps you need a rhythm on the sub - maybe some pitch drops on the kick too.
    but it's sounding really good, looking forward to hearing more from you :)

5. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I really like the intro. I think it loses its vibe at the drop though. I reckon of you did a tribal sort of track without too much synth bass it would be a lot better. The vibe is good but I think it needs to be maintained for it to work.
    Also too much stereo spread may result in poor phase correlation. So there may be cancellations when played in mono. Not total cancellations but probably upto around 3dB which is a lot. I'm not sure if orchestral music ever really worries too much about phase correlation too be honest though. I've loaded mastered recording into logic and tried playing them in mono and there was some cancellation.

Even multinstrument patches in the esx24 have poor correlation sometimes.