Option for selecting Scale in Ableton piano roll

26frames

Hi guys ,
I know some of you use Ableton. I wonder if any of you know VST or M4L device that allows you to draw notes in piano roll only in selected scale. For example - Presonus Studio One have the option to select scale in piano roll and thus you can put notes only in positions which refer to this scale. I know the native "Scale" midi efect in Ableton , but it has nothing to do with drawing in piano roll and it is so counterintuitive - you can't see the true MIDI content of the clip.
Another question regarding melody and rhythm - does anyone of you know VST or M4L device that can show you the strong beats in measure ( first and third ) in each bar. I find this especially useful when creating melodies and rhythm. These changing light and dark stripes in piano rolll and arrangement view when zooming is a real headache ...

BTW I recently searched for option to view and editing several MIDI clips in piano roll and came across this M4L device http://isotonikstudios.com/chaos-culture/midi-multiclip-editor/ . This is especially useful when creating a counter points in melody and the relationship between leads and bass.

Best greetings to all !
Super useful forum !!!

Last edited:
wait, you can do this in Studio one? I really need to start using more of the tools available in studio one,... still yet to delve into the splitter!

You can fill in the scale you want then fold the piano roll and remove the notes, then it will only have notes in your scale. Is this what you mean? You can save midi for the particular scales across the whole range, then load them up to have whatever you want set up.

Not the best example, but:

You can fill in the scale you want then fold the piano roll and remove the notes, then it will only have notes in your scale. Is this what you mean? You can save midi for the particular scales across the whole range, then load them up to have whatever you want set up.

I know about this option, and for the moment this is the way I work. The only drawback is that you can't use incidental notes outside from the scale. Considering the complexity of most VST's and M4L devices I think there will be a solution for marking scales and strong beats. Or at least I hope ... so far I can't find anything

For those of you who want different scales in MIDI (for free) , this site contains over 300 scales and some graphics for different chords : http://www.feelyoursound.com/scale-chords/

Back
Top Bottom