Optimizing automation

Boooke

Hey. I'm using cubase and think the automation control is quite logic and useful, but sometimes I would like some faster way of automating stuff, also a more precise one, like, if you twitch the knob (lol, yeah, but still) on a filter in a certain way, in a certain tempo, it sounds fecking awesome. But writing more detailed automation with the mouse can sometimes take hours. Maybe you know a way of automating tracks easier than just bending a line in cubase?

I'm a hardware-dummy, so I really know nothing about the possibilities there, but I'm eager to learn.

I wish there were something like this for ableton too. A way of optimising the keys on a curve just to make it easier to manage and manipulate.
I write scripts to optimise animation curves (amongst other things) at work, ableton also has a Python API which im familiar with. I've promised myself I'd do some digging and try n' hack ableton, I just wanna make tunes when I get home though.

There is, link the parameters to a pot wheel on a midi controller. click record and record the movement real time. Fuck writing intricate automations with a mouse, all the clickity clicking and shit! Recording live automation is where it's at!

There is, link the parameters to a pot wheel on a midi controller. click record and record the movement real time. Fuck writing intricate automations with a mouse, all the clickity clicking and shit! Recording live automation is where it's at!

This.

ableton 9 now has curved automation drawing tools. really should have had it years ago, esp considering fruity has been doing it for so long. still aint got 9 *whimper* i want to draw sine-saws Waaah

but yeah,record them in a real time if u are doing anything more creative or complex

Yeah mate, I already use this. My issue is though, after that automation is recorded, its a goddamn bitch to edit, and a key for every frame isnt nice to work with if you need to change it. The tools I write to optimise anim curves isnt simple, but the same theory should be applied to curves in DAW's and theres no reason why a tool like this shouldnt ship with the package.

sorry to OP for thread jacking!

The more the merrier, no probs :) Anyone who can point me to a good controller out there for cubase? It seems like a jungle to me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom