Optimizing automation

Discussion in 'Production' started by Boooke, May 5, 2013.

1. Boooke

Boooke Member

Hey. I'm using cubase and think the automation control is quite logic and useful, but sometimes I would like some faster way of automating stuff, also a more precise one, like, if you twitch the knob (lol, yeah, but still) on a filter in a certain way, in a certain tempo, it sounds fecking awesome. But writing more detailed automation with the mouse can sometimes take hours. Maybe you know a way of automating tracks easier than just bending a line in cubase?

I'm a hardware-dummy, so I really know nothing about the possibilities there, but I'm eager to learn.

2. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

I wish there were something like this for ableton too. A way of optimising the keys on a curve just to make it easier to manage and manipulate.
    I write scripts to optimise animation curves (amongst other things) at work, ableton also has a Python API which im familiar with. I've promised myself I'd do some digging and try n' hack ableton, I just wanna make tunes when I get home though.

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

There is, link the parameters to a pot wheel on a midi controller. click record and record the movement real time. Fuck writing intricate automations with a mouse, all the clickity clicking and shit! Recording live automation is where it's at!

4. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

This.

5. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

ableton 9 now has curved automation drawing tools. really should have had it years ago, esp considering fruity has been doing it for so long. still aint got 9 *whimper* i want to draw sine-saws Waaah

but yeah,record them in a real time if u are doing anything more creative or complex

6. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Yeah mate, I already use this. My issue is though, after that automation is recorded, its a goddamn bitch to edit, and a key for every frame isnt nice to work with if you need to change it. The tools I write to optimise anim curves isnt simple, but the same theory should be applied to curves in DAW's and theres no reason why a tool like this shouldnt ship with the package.

sorry to OP for thread jacking!

7. Boooke

Boooke Member

The more the merrier, no probs :) Anyone who can point me to a good controller out there for cubase? It seems like a jungle to me, lol.