Optical Masterclass Basic Mixing Rules question

Discussion in 'Production' started by Bokusound, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Bokusound

Bokusound New Member

Can someone please explain to me what he meant by his basic mixing rules:

-6 db max peak level of any track for NO digital distortion
    -18db rms or average level of any track for NO dynamic distortion

Does he mean any track as in the trck as a whole or any track as in any channel, kick, sn ect? I went into one of my recent projects and I am way over on all channels (most faders roughly in the middle not much higher), my master is always set to -3db and I have heaps of headroom and nothing is hitting red. should I still be bringing everything right down down down? Or does he mean the master > know what im talking about?>:taz:

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

-6db is where the master should be at the loudest point in the track, according to optical.

RMS is something completely different, it's the average loudness.

This sounds like a starting point before beginning to mix, obviously when you have finished all mixing and mastering the peak level will be 0db.

Alert likes this.
  3. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

He did say a lot of weird and nonstandard stuff in that vid. Dynamic distortion isnt a thing, not sure where he go that idea from, especially since i usually get more than -15rms before any bus or master or loudness processing, and thats with my mix peaking at -6dbfs.
    Also, when he gets rid of vertical lines in his waveforms, if you know how speakers work you'd know that's completely pointless.

4. VOIR

VOIR New Member

I think by dynamic distortion he meant loss of frequency spectrum (high end) due to over-compression of sound. but yeah i've never heard that term before either.