Drum & Bass Opinions

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Stymestoe, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Stymestoe

Stymestoe New Member

Hi guys, i need some opinions on these 3 tracks, what needs fixing and what is good? Leave feedback please :)

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Hi Stymestoe,

I'm certainly no long term veteran on this dynamic forum, but please allow me to give you a couple bits of advice:

In the future, you should post your works in progress (w.i.p) in the New Track and Talent Reviews Sub Section. The main Production sectopm is more of a technical area as opposed to a critique post area.

Also, because this is your first post, you'd probably receive a greater amount of feedback by rating other people's mixes and/or original productions in addition to contributing to the lot of discussions. Members are more inclined to listen and provide feedback to your work when they see you've contributed as opposed to just stopping in for feedback/review.

Cheers.

3. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

4. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

dyou know what this is this forums problem, too many smart arses wasting their time writing essays on forum etiquette and not answering enough questions, yes those are all valid points, but as you said its his/her/their first post and they're obviously new to production, its not unreasonable to give some criticism.

I did listen to your tunes dude, and they dont sound too bad, they're quite clean and i like your intro quite alot, but they're very repetetive and a little thin/quiet, try varying your kick snare pattern on the 4th bar of every loop. melodies take a similar approach, just vary them a bit to maintain interest. adding other melodic elements will help make your sound more intricate too, the riffs dont even have to be complex, just make the different elements complement eachother.

An easy way to get an idea of what i mean is to listen to the tracks of producers you admire and break them down listening to all the different elements in the track. You'll notice for the most part musically they are very simple, a few chords and some notes, but the tracks sound full and interesting, this is the effect of layering!

On the technical side, look into drum processing (eq, compression, sidechaining, bussing etc), mixdown techniques and read a little on some music theory the first two will help fatten up your tunes, the second will hopefully help you write better melodic parts. if you use the search function here there are a tonne of threads which contain loads of information. theres no point answering a question thats been asked before.

Hope I helped :)

5. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

the issue here is two-fold. first, if this forum descends into organizational chaos, then more experienced producers are not going to come here as often, and the quality of the content will go down. second, if you don't feedback on other tunes, you don't deserve it yourself. too many people come in here with 4 posts or less to their name, and drop tracks right and left and expect everyone to check them out. as someone who has posted several tunes to this site, only to watch a few hundred views go by with 2 replies, it seems a bit arrogant to expect feedback when none was given. every time i post a track, you will see msmith222 as the last feedback on the top ten or so tunes in the new talent section, because i never post a track without commenting on at least that many tunes.

i appreciate your viewpoint, but the bottom line is if you can't follow the rules you don't earn the feedback, imo.

6. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

I get you and I apologise for the minor rant, this forum just frustrates me as i put a lot in and get little back when I do ask questions. ah well..

7. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

thank you msmith222, point well made. ill move this thread in a minute. post in right section or i will delete thread.

8. CoB

CoB Pure Sanelessness

i think maybe the pianos are a bit loud in the mix, also i think it just plods along without doing much...
    an the kick drums... why so many, thought it was building and then...
    oh there it goes, back to the same...

9. rotein

rotein Member

Hey mate, maybe bring the bass tones up a bit..