Opinions on Digital DJing vs Turntables / CDJs / snobbery

bullets12

Ive recently started DJing out, and since I don't have a large vinyl collection or the money to buy 2 CDJs and a mixer, and do have a huge mp3 library of tunes, I have opted for one of those new pioneer ddj-t1 controllers working alongside Traktor. This was because I thought the pioneer name, and its resemblance to CDJs would give me some credibility in clubs because i have witnessed some snobbery in the past. In order to make the experience as authentic as possible, i NEVER use the sync buttons on any software I may use, and rely on ear, because it's just BORING standing around when everything has been cued up for you within a second. Whilst I would love to learn how to DJ vinyl / CDJs, I've simply never had the opportunity to do so, or even use a turntable for that matter. unfortunately I wasn't around the scene in the 1990s when the art really seemed to develop; however if I were, you can guarantee I would have started out DJing on vinyl. The snobbery I've encountered seems to be aimed towards people who DJ with controllers. i don't think it's fair that these so called "proper" DJs who use vinyl make others feel bad for the way they DJ simply because the time they have been introduced to the art is a time where software controllers are on the rise / are easier to get hold of, where technology is constantly developing at an accelerated rate, and good turntables are becoming harder / more expensive to buy. In my opinion, as long as you can get the best mix possible, and keep the crowd dancing for as long as possible, it doesn't matter what you use to DJ. in conclusion, what are people's opinions on digital djing vs turntables and CDJs, and this snobbery in general? i'm not trying to force my views on anyone else or offend anyone, as I understand there are a lot of Djing "purists" out there. it's just something which has been making me quite paranoid about going out and asking for gigs lately. cheers. (as you can probably tell im in the mood for a good old fashioned debate this afternoon)

snobbery. brilliant.

IMO it doesn't matter what medium you use.
Its all about your selection & technical ability.

Always mixed on vinyl. just personal preference.
Doesn't mean i'm a purist its just what I prefer.

Don't be put off if someone criticizes you for using a DJ controller. At the end of the day if you can play a decent set then it doesn't really matter.

Yea tbh, if you play a good set then thats all the matters, and if you dont use the sync button then there's absolutely no reason why any snobbery should be taking place, as your still proving your technical ability.

I started out on vinyl and would love my whole collection to be in this format, but it is an expensive habit so moved to CDJ's.

The only snobbery I have is with people that claim to be dj's but have to rely on automatic syncs, and when you put them in front of vinyl/cd decks they don't even understand the basic principal of put two beats together.

As long as you can beat match with your ears it don't matter what format you use.

Personally?

Vinyl > digital

But it doesnt matter what you use as long as you're up to a deent standard

What i hate are cunts who buy a laptop, have a few mp3's and think they are 'DJs'.

No, you're not...

Yea tbh, if you play a good set then thats all the matters, and if you dont use the sync button then there's absolutely no reason why any snobbery should be taking place, as your still proving your technical ability.

agreed, however I just think there's an annoying negative stigma / preconception attached to all controller users these days...ah well

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Personally?

Vinyl > digital

But it doesnt matter what you use as long as you're up to a deent standard

What i hate are cunts who buy a laptop, have a few mp3's and think they are 'DJs'.

No, you're not...

Fair enough. What would you call them them? serious answer haha

Fair enough. What would you call them them? serious answer haha

If you've never practised on a pair of turntables (and even to some extent, fucking CDJ's...) then you cant call yourself a DJ in its purest form. Some people need to realise that just because you like music, not everybody has the abilty to play it well. Digital has made music fans into supposed 'DJ's' without them ever having really learnt the craft at all

If you've never practised on a pair of turntables (and even to some extent, fucking CDJ's...) then you cant call yourself a DJ in its purest form. Some people need to realise that just because you like music, not everybody has the abilty to play it well. Digital has made music fans into supposed 'DJ's' without them ever having really learnt the craft at all

I agree, not in its "purest form". But it's still DJing. because it's basically the same principles..imo...assuming that you don't use the synch button

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

even DJ Fresh uses a controller now. one of the NI traktor ones...heard him say it in interviews & seen vids of him using just that

I dont see using controllers as DJ'ing myself. At least with Serato/Traktor you still have to manipulate timecoded vinyl or CD's

But triggering things on a laptop just seems a little souless to me personally

But i dont really care that much anymore. I use wax. People that dont? Cool.

And Fresh used decks/cd's for ages before he moved what he does now

Big difference between dj'ing and mixing. My only gripe with controller users is when they big themselves up and think theyre amazing when in fact they just load a track and bash sync. But hey, people can do what they want, if you can lay down a sick set by bashing sync, good for you, but your not going to get respect, enjoyment or satisfaction from it, so in my opinion it makes it a total waste of time.

The basics of mixing are far too simple for me to excuse anyone bashing sync tbh.

I learnt on this:

17541_250718027860_84688247860_3288468_8105036_n.jpg

An AA VMS4 midi controller, and it was the biggest mistake i made. Wish i had bought my 1210's far earlier. Its a sick controller, nice big platters etc, but its just a waste of time if you want to mix in front of people imo.

Last edited:
There's snobbery in this very thread. DJing's the same what ever the format, you could be spinning tunes on a fucking pottery wheel for all it matters. Anyone who thinks djing on cdjs isn't proper djing take a look at Crissy Criss' mixes, pure skill. At the end of the day cdj's replicate vinyl turntables exactly, but with more features, all this passion and soul bollocks isn't worth listening to imo, play tunes how ever you can, if we all followed other people's example half of us wouldn't be able to DJ or would have like half the library that we do.

#shit hits the fan

There's snobbery in this very thread. DJing's the same what ever the format, you could be spinning tunes on a fucking pottery wheel for all it matters. Anyone who thinks djing on cdjs isn't proper djing take a look at Crissy Criss' mixes, pure skill. At the end of the day cdj's replicate vinyl turntables exactly, but with more features, all this passion and soul bollocks isn't worth listening to imo, play tunes how ever you can, if we all followed other people's example half of us wouldn't be able to DJ or would have like half the library that we do.

#shit hits the fan

amen.

#shit hits the fan

As someone who has had both turntables and CDJs I can safely say that using turntables is a completely different kettle of fish when it comes to DJing. You need so much more guile and craft, there's no BPM counter or even percentage to get your pitches the same and cuing up is even more difficult. Maybe in essence the CDJ is just a dignified turntable but in terms of approach to mixing they are oh so different, mixing on turntables is definitely an art form.

I would agree that using CDJs is still DJing, I myself use CDJs and Traktor! :D , but I think you have to have respect for those who use turntables!

The only snobbery I have is with people that claim to be dj's but have to rely on automatic syncs, and when you put them in front of vinyl/cd decks they don't even understand the basic principal of put two beats together.

this.

i know quite a few people who use controllers and dont go near sync, the only time il get annoyed is when you see someone pressing sync and then milking the crowd for all they are worth...

i dont care in the slithest way imaginable. cdjs, vinyl, controllers, computers, sync button, whatsoever.

people that moan are generally the ones who dont get gigs at all and are somewhat bitter that the guy "who only uses cdjs and presses sync" does. get over it folks - and be happy with whatever the fuck you do.

were on vinyl and cdjs and i love it - oh and no percentage on turntables? better switch on your eyes - and syncing a tune thats 175 bpm with another one thats 175 bpm isnt rocket science anyways, whether it be with a "bpm counter" (never seen one that worked with dnb either..). turntables or even two youtube windows.....

old discussion is oooold.

I genuinely think, that even if the crowd dont know much about technology or DJing, they have more respect for someone DJing with no screen in front of them than those who do.

#shit hits the fan

Would say you are right apart from the fact that cdj's replicate vinyl exactly and I think this is where a lot of snobbery can occur. Each and every vinyl is slightly different, in its weight a how fast it moves when nudged, meaning you have to almost learn every one whereas cdj's and controller bring a uniformity to mixing meaning there can be a view you are slightly less able if you have only ever used such devices

Now a day the digitalisation that is overall on the world if they music or computer or radio and any thing the digitalisation is everywhere in the music the digitalisation is very improvable that we can hear all the kind of
sound from the market that is the online market and get all the digital songs and many more on the web.

to me vinyl djing is a lost art..... i dj on ice cold and im only vinyl dj on there... to what ive seen.... well me and my brother...
id never switch over....... to me .. when you get a vinyl record ..... like the orignal copy... of a tune you love .. just cant beat that...
hate the way ..... theres no vinyl djs left.... now you get cds ... scartto ...... mps phones laptops...
maybe im a bit snobby... if you cant mix on vinyl ..ant proper dj........ prob get alot of haters out there but just what i think... like i saw this girl(pro dj) all sexy all hot.... bitch cant even mix on vinyl... said she wouldnt know how to even turn it on!!! i mean wtf....
and whats it like mixing on these formats... ive seen alot and theres no skill at all..... whats cds like? few of my cd mates says it half beatmatchs for you.... thats weak.... the age of vinyl has been and gone and ... there wrong! vinyl was specical and amazing...... and the legendary 1210s technics.... there in sience musiem....... id never sell my vinyl!!!!!!
only think i like about cds is you can get a shit load of tunes real quick!.... im vinyl only and have like 2000 vinyl but like idea of that... id say if your a cd / vinyl dj your proper dj... anything else.... id just think your rubbish... its not snobbery.... like you could a a guy ..... aweson Guitar player... and a guy that plays Guitar hero.... its like you cant play a fcuking note how are you a guitar player lol ... dont know what its like to scrath on cds..... vinyl has to be better id think... but cd does have some cool buttons ...if i saw mp3 or laptop dj id just think joker!!!!!!
soon there be no vinyl djs left :O

Last edited:
I genuinely think, that even if the crowd dont know much about technology or DJing, they have more respect for someone DJing with no screen in front of them than those who do.

This. 100% this.

For me its all about self satisfaction, and i feel like a cunt on a midi controller.

Couldnt give 2 shits about people who use cdj's though. But 1210's are still my thing.

Back
Top Bottom