Opinion on this...

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
OK... I have a mate that's adamant that showing your tunes to the public before they're finished is a bad idea. I understand where he's coming from but at the same time I quite like having people rate my tracks before I've got close to finishing them. What you recon? In the long run it makes no difference what we all say, it's down to personal preference. I just wanted to hear everyones views on it...

Hearing someone else's view before you track done is pretty much CRUCIAL if you ask me. A third person view on things is good in any situation

yeah i think it helps you progress faster and you gotta realize you have been hearing your loops for ages and it might start sounding amazing or just straight up horrid to you because of the duration and its nice to have someone with a fresh ear to the track give thier opinion.

I think it's a good thing and I always tend to do it cause I get excited when I think i'm making something decent and then I need to know if it's actually any good or not. If you put your tunes up on here you will normally get useful tip, sometimes from people more experienced than you so you're getting good advice.

Last edited:
well im sure people know my opinion, i think you shouldn't bother posting stuff online for a good few years, show your friend sure, but theres no need to be talked through how to make your song better, you have ears you gotta do things for yourself, i dunno though, its been three years for me i still dont get very far because im so judgmental i dont think ill ever get to the stage where i want random people hearing my crap, my blunt friends and a few days not listening to a tune are enough to get rid of my post-song-giddiness

I think is very important share with someone else what you're working for, because we need more point of view; However you can't put in this forum a very bad track, so share your track first with a close friend, if you're sure your shit is fucking hot, come here and share it with us!! :)

OK... I have a mate that's adamant that showing your tunes to the public before they're finished is a bad idea. I understand where he's coming from but at the same time I quite like having people rate my tracks before I've got close to finishing them. What you recon? In the long run it makes no difference what we all say, it's down to personal preference. I just wanted to hear everyones views on it...

600full-adam-ant.jpg

i think its good to show pretty much finished tracks to people...im not a fan of showing a 1 min work in progress although I have done that before :$

depends, you know. depends cos i remember when i just started making music, i was like 3 years in, and at that point there is usually a phase when youre convinced you figured it all out and youre the shit, so whatever you do in your little music program must be shown to one and all without exception. so i did, and ultimately it ended up with starting a tune, showing it to ppl on icq and then never touching it again.
so showing previews of stuff and showing it around effectively stopped me from finishing the tunes. now thats my personal experience but i think the disucssion here is about the possibly creative critisism and feedback you can get on a work in progress. which can be fun. specially if you are making the music for other people to hear.
which i dont, i make it cos i must, its my way of being creative and in doing so expressing myself about how i feel. it is so very satisfying when i sometimes manage to get something down that i actually like. the people that hear my unfinished bits is my drum and bass production group, my girl and some of my mates, sometimes. theres been times when i got the most amazing in depth feedback that seemed absolutely perfect for the tune and there has been times when they completely diss the tune.
either way i blatantly ignore every damn word of it and go about my bizness. the advise i been given gets taken onboard for the next song cetainly, but not this one.
thats how my mind works.
i never defend my work from negative comments or such. why would i? i thank the person for listening and taking the time to even waste breath on discussing it. its all subjective so whats there to discuss? certainly motivations and inspirations and what its trying to express and how it was made but the listener hears the song and thats all that is, hell either like it, or not. simple, but its taken me ages to figure that one out.

Putting a wip up here is fine, that's part of being a community. You can always ask for specific feedback via private message, but whatever.

If a drum and bass forum isn't the right place to bounce ideas and try stuff out then I don't know.

Shhhhhhhhhht, long time we haven't see a wild Moskit in here. Let him creep in a little.
He will de dramatize serious conversations.

I've been saying this for ages, but it's really useful to just sit on tunes for a while before you go showing off or sending to labels or DJ's. Of course you think that your newest tune is the dogs balls and every label will want to sign it no question, it will be the next machete or something. Most likely it's not.

Getting feedback mid-way is of course good, but don't make the track into something other people would make. Have a few trusted people that you can turn to if you're unsure about something but keep your own vision in the track. After it's done, let it rot for a week or two and do something else, another track, read a book, listen to Mahler or whatever, but don't keep rinsing the tune to yourself. Then go back and see if you can spot any weak points in the track. Will give you a much more objective view of it.

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

Most likely it's not.

Haha that seems a little harsh LOL

hmmm, i put a fair few tracks up on here recently, the advice i am mainly looking for is on the production, does everything sound ok etc etc u know the deal. i do also like to hear peoples opinions on a wider scale, in general, do they like it? tbh im not realy a creatively confident person so it helps for the next track i move on to that people are feeling the one before.
i used to do as logikz and as soon as other people had heared it, forget about it, even if it was just 80 bars or whatever, something id started working on. and tbh its not healthy... but i do wan't something to come of what i spend alot of my time doing, so i make it a point not to start something new until i have it sounding as best at this point in my knowledge pool i guess.
I had maybe 100+ ( a full CD of reason files and snippets) just a few months after getting reason.
I also thing it helps leaving feedback to others, noticing how other people work, picking up on what they do well, learn from it, picking up on mistakes, learn from that too, hearing fresh tracks that haven't been mastered, probably mixed down too, thinking to yourself what would i do?
Very good for learning if you ask me, but i also feel it can turn into a kinda comfort zone, i hear tunes on here that i think i could be spinning on my decks, but i dunno, maybe people don't have the confidence to send them out, maybe they are but the labels aren't feeling it, who knows... but its important to venture away from here too, have some confidence in yourself and trust in yourself to be able to send it out to a lable.
I sent Give You My Bass to Bailey, watched his video stream and it got a realy good response and no1 knew i'd done it until a few people asked for an ID, asking if it was going to be released etc...

sorry for the wall of text lol, had more to add but cba atm :P

yeah i know what you mean, i been writing insanely long posts lately too, just stream of conciousness style writing. think its cos i been listening to anti-pop consortium and reading hunter s thompson. and im high on speed mightve something to do with it

Wow. Some good feedback and topics!

I think it's important to realize (in my personal case anyway) that I've only been producing about 1 and a half/2 years and I suppose I haven't found myself a proper workflow yet. I seem to make a track up to the drop, stop working on it I hit the second breakdown and then post it up on the SC and the New track/Talent Review Section. Maybe its all about things that come with experience?

I'm busy now since may or something. I tend to ask a lot of questions. It's just because i work until i get something and then let you people listen to it, and then your feedback helps me a lot.
I want to make something good first, and then go like, What i made was good, so i'll use the same technique with other sound but with the same purpose ex. Bassline. I have experimented with thousand things
but i sure need someone that can judge if it's good or not. Because all my friends go like "Nice track", but that's just not good enough, it doesn't help me at all.

Back
Top Bottom