OPINION: Gear VS Software

im software based but ive got a few peices of kit (synth, drummachines, pedals...). The only time i really feel hardware is necessary is when i master shit. You could probably acheive the same sound with software (just listen to dj scam) but hardware is just so conveniant. Im going to get a joe meek compressor. Yep yep.

Originally posted by logikz
im software based but ive got a few peices of kit (synth, drummachines, pedals...). The only time i really feel hardware is necessary is when i master shit. You could probably acheive the same sound with software (just listen to dj scam) but hardware is just so conveniant. Im going to get a joe meek compressor. Yep yep.

Interesting, I actually find software more convenient than hardware. I love having not having to physically route cables and shit. I think it's all about knowing how to work efficiently with what you have. You can give a 10 year old retard a Paul Reed Smith but it doesn't mean he's gonna sound like Van Halen. But give Van Halen a Mexican Strat and watch him take the world over.

Originally posted by LEGION

Interesting, I actually find software more convenient than hardware. I love having not having to physically route cables and shit. I think it's all about knowing how to work efficiently with what you have. You can give a 10 year old retard a Paul Reed Smith but it doesn't mean he's gonna sound like Van Halen. But give Van Halen a Mexican Strat and watch him take the world over.

i can tell you this tho, what ever that 10 year old sounds like hes gonna sound a million times better doing it on a 'paul reed smith' (which im assuming is a nice peice of guitar kit btw?) if were on the same track here. beeing the obvious advantage off hardware.

Just to clarify, I am most definately on the Software side of the fence. I think maybe a run-down of the tools i use would probably shed light on my background..

Sequencing/Drumloop editting ---> Impulse Tracker 2.15 (MMX Drivers)

Bass/Pads/Synth creation ---> Fruityloops with VSTi --> Absynth, Slayer RFX, Reaktor, FM7, Delay Lama <-- get it free!!, and Orange Vocoder (don't know where i'd be without this little number)

WAV editting ---> Cooledit Pro 2

Final Mixes ---> Acid Pro 3

Native Instruments

Both Absynth, and Reaktor are Native Instruments VSTi...

As with all of Native Instruments' products, both are Top Notch..

Absynth is your basic patch-driven softsynth, each patch containing the oscillator/lfo/filter/envelope/etc settings. It runs as a stand-alone synth, or as either a VST or DX plugin.

Reaktor is a much more involved piece of software.. it's routing system is all modular (think BuzzTracker), and each module can be altered/editted/rewired to your own design.. makes it quite cryptic when you want to get a simple whiz-bang outta it sometimes. On top of the modular synth/effects/routing stuff, it has its own sequencer modules. Reaktor runs as a stand-alone, as well as a VST

Both synths have full MIDI integration.

not freeware as such.. but i didn't pay anything for them.. yet anyhow :) if someone were to say, catch me on EFnet (d-_-b in #p-raves).. i could probably point you in the right direction.

just between you and me tho likes.. ;)

software is cheaper and more affourtbale for any one

i use only software because i'm not so ritch, but maybe when i get some $$$ from my music ill buy some real hardware stuff... :cool:

software for music production is on an allmost equal level with hardware these days.
:finger:

its not about the software u use or equpment u have its all about u!
:tut:

i use:
fruity loops 3.56 for sequencing/lopping/etc
sound forge 6.0 for sampling/cutting/looping/mastering
wavlab 4.0 for the final mix and recording
and allots of samples and vstz/dxz plugz

:P

so the choice is quet obvious:
;) what u want is what u get! ;)

good luck for everyone on this forum!

btw: u can get all the soft and more on kazaa (worx beter with broadband :))

big.gif

its just a matter of sound really, once youve experienced what a nice peice of kit can do for you compared to a proggy theres no going back. If youre coming from the software side of things that is.

hardware is just so much easier to get quality sounds out of. Its not necessary tho. Just look at point of reference (mathamatikal) hell fuck you up any day for saying hardware is superior and the good thing about it is that hes right. Go take the pepsi challange with him if you dont beleive me.

Back
Top Bottom