open close hi hat pattern

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Having trouble making various hi hat patterns. More specifically, the pattern i'm trying to create is what sounds like "open, closed, open, closed...." style that you would hear more in jump-up style tunes. I know it's good practice to adjust the velocity frequently but I can't seem to establish a good pattern.

Maybe i'm not trying to put the correct type of percussion in with the hi-hats im not sure. I've tried searching and reading past threads but haven't been able to figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated...

Like I said, looking to make an open-closed-open-closed style of pattern....

i would like to know this too... the kinda loop that sounds almost like the same hit, but varies just slightly... never been able to figure what to vary?

one idea i've not tried is to have the same sample loaded into the drum rack and one with a tight release, one more natural and then vary between the two?

i would like to know this too... the kinda loop that sounds almost like the same hit, but varies just slightly... never been able to figure what to vary?

one idea i've not tried is to have the same sample loaded into the drum rack and one with a tight release, one more natural and then vary between the two?

Yeah thats not a bad idea also..

It's sometimes tricky to distinguish what is part of the hi-hat pattern and what is part of the high-passed break

I would like to look at a page full of a bunch of different hi-hat patterns as laid out in a DAW and then hear what they sound like
I think that would help tons.

Yeah thats not a bad idea also..

It's sometimes tricky to distinguish what is part of the hi-hat pattern and what is part of the high-passed break

I would like to look at a page full of a bunch of different hi-hat patterns as laid out in a DAW and then hear what they sound like
I think that would help tons.

indeed!

This song contains an example of the splashy, open-closed hi hat pattern im having trouble making

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that whole open-close thing you mean in that track is actually a splashy crash or ride pattern.

I think that whole open-close thing you mean in that track is actually a splashy crash or ride pattern.

i agree, i cant hear any open hi-hats in there.

i would say that track's cymbals are a high passed break (because it sounds very thin)
and one splash cymbal and a ride bell hit programmed over the top.

yeah i must be wrong!
thanks for clearing that up, it makes more sense for those to be cymbals in a high passed break

probably why i was having so much trouble making it lol

Back
Top Bottom