One way to control spammers etc ...

BeyondTherapy

VIP Junglist
One way to control spammers etc ...

Of late this board has been infested with untold amounts of spammers , not the mix drop type either but pointless buy fake trainers,handbag,phone etc type ...

Now the easiest solution to kerb this is to close off 80% of the site ,while keeping the the introduction section open ... As you know spammers act quick and just by a sites quick register there in ... :lol: with operation "end spambot" there not ... the progess is one of slowness ...

now what the fup am i on about .. its simple , let me exsplain ..

registration stays the same -

when someone has signed up they will only see the introduction section in which they "must" introduce themselves -

on doing this a "mod or admin" can then allow by adding there name to a "group list" into the forum -

this slows down the nature of "spambots" and controls the area of where the spam is being placed , making it slightly easier to remove -

ofcourse 1 or 2 cases will leek through ,no system is 100% fool proof but its a major start in "operation spambot" -

anyway ... i got better things to be doing so peace out !!

robhicks1

Nuts about Zoo
VIP Junglist
Sounds like a good idea. I take it guests will be able to see all the forums though as it might look a little boring if they can only see the intro section.

BeyondTherapy

VIP Junglist
Sounds like a good idea. I take it guests will be able to see all the forums though as it might look a little boring if they can only see the intro section.
standard but u cant enter as there locked ... register then introduce yourself then and only then when the admin / mods open the door , can registered users use the site , spammers if they are will programme drops in 1 area and not trash the site like they are at present

Gumby

VIP Junglist
all of this sounds like a lot of work for the moderators...
:word:

it sounds a bit restrictive for genuine new members. most might not come back if they cant start posting straight away.

i think the report a post function is working alright.

Fes Rock

Nothing..........
VIP Junglist
To be honest i think the best way to do this is to ask a drum and bass related question on registration....
this is a good idea

2 thiongs i also think will work with little involvement on admin or mod

1. have a much more complex CAPTCHA when registering

2. Make only valid email websites be acceptable registration. No trick emails and users must then follow a link form the email to even begin registration.

[Politrix]

Peace & fucking, believe!
VIP Junglist
:word:

it sounds a bit restrictive for genuine new members. most might not come back if they cant start posting straight away.

i think the report a post function is working alright.
true but a lot of forums i have been on in past, massive forums... they use what panty mentioned