One from the vaults... Digital - Wize Men - Chronic

tyranny

VIP Junglist

From 2000, on the flip of much more widely played "Ease Off", this is an absolutely mental tune, like a fantasy collab between Skeptical and Dillinja. A lot of the modern tribal sounding jams are quite minimal and clean whereas this is just utterly raw and wonky and clipped up to fuck. You will find a copy on Discogs for less than the price of a chocolate bar and I can almost guarantee you that no matter how fucked "Ease Off" sounds after years of second hand play there will be hardly a scratch on the "Wize Men" side because hardly anyone played it.

tyranny

VIP Junglist
Yeah man, teh more I think of it the more I get angry at the idea that anyone could believe he isn't the finest all round producer this music ever had.

tyranny

VIP Junglist
I do love Eaze Off though
Same here! But this sounds like a completely different beast, and also sounds very like those mad percussive Skeptical jams, particularly like the sort of stuff he was doing around the time of his Commercial Suicide EP; if you are looking to build the tension and the weight up and get out of minimal stuff and into harder territory you could do worse than play Wise Men tbh.

M

Mashuda

i was all over this record at the time. I didn't even like ease off and found digital super hit and miss at the time. Nothing like it. That evolving beat is jusr nasty. I watched it going around on my turntable while listening to it maybe thousands of times. But yeah I put it on mixes or played it out and very few thought much of it, tho those who did thought it was mental too

tyranny

VIP Junglist
I see the powers that be have conspired to pull it off YouTube. Unreal tune, mix it with Skeptical - "Square Breathing" some time, you will want to punch yourself in the jaw, THAT'S how good it is.

Mad how certain tunes can just cast a spell on certain people, while others think it's just a barrage of noise, claps and kicks.

$pyto

NEW DAWN
VIP Junglist
Great tune

Gotta love the early 00's when every word containing the letter 'S' got replaced with 'Z', because the underground can do what it wants...