Old jungle tracks you'd like to see remixed and brought up to date

Deegun it's entirely possible to have Darkage in your top ten jungle tunes ffs. Right...okay...the bassline on Darkage is clearly jungle but the samples and the tempo make it hardcore. It was one of the tunes that pushed hardcore into becoming jungle and like anything that evolves there is no clear boundary between the species. You're basically both right lads. Personally I consider it more on a hardcore tip because of the samples and tempo of the track and the others that came out at the same time. The sound was working it's way towards becoming jungle but it hadn't properly shot it's load yet (although with Darkage you could say it had passed the point of no return). The sound was still hardcore and you'll mostly hear that tune played in hardcore sets.

If you look at a tune like Crackman which came out a bit later it's unarguably a jungle tune and it's been purged of any hardcore sounds...it's the producers who joined in on that purge that helped create jungle. You can listen to sets from '93 that start off nutty hardcore and finish with propa jungle...very different and a much 'blacker' feel so to speak.

I know people like to romanticise about We are IE as the first jungle tune but I really don't dig that kind of approach. It was definitely pivotal but it came out in '91 and frankly the music could have stayed hardcore for all it mattered. An easy test would be to ask if anyone who's ever mixed it felt like they were mixing a jungle tune. The answer is clearly no. All my favourite mixes for it involve old school tunes. It ain't jungle.

Even this tune (which has a sesame street break) isn't jungle...for obvious reasons...it's still hardcore... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMN5RG7PsrA

Last edited:
Deegun it's entirely possible to have Darkage in your top ten jungle tunes ffs.

What I´m laughing about is the fact that he wants to sell me that link as a kind of evidence for it being a jungle tune. Nice post btw.

I know people like to romanticise about We are IE as the first jungle tune but I really don't dig that kind of approach. It was definitely pivotal but it came out in '91 and frankly the music could have stayed hardcore for all it mattered. An easy test would be to ask if anyone who's ever mixed it felt like they were mixing a jungle tune. The answer is clearly no. All my favourite mixes for it involve old school tunes. It ain't jungle.

Finally someone speaks out.

deegun for prime minister.......no, seriously, ok...i've listened to what you n papa are saying.......i now think it could be a
......... techydubstepper-ishjumpupdarkcorehappydowntempo stepper!:banana:

sorry darkage isnt hardcore..........Maybe on the verge but back in 92-93...it was being dropped by flirt, rap, blackmarket, ron, SL.....at the original telepathy raves.....pure jungle raves....Id never say that was hardcore.
I've heard Zero B - Lock Up played in a trance set but that doesn't make it a trance track.
Darkage is simply a hardcore track track that formed part of the evolution towards Jungle and now can be played as a crossover track in sets of either old skool hardcore or Jungle!

old jungle remakes always end up like old horror movie remakes. better production values maybe, but never capturing the atmosphere of the original.

some of them are alright though. didn't mind serial killaz remake of tom & jerry - maximum style

old jungle remakes always end up like old horror movie remakes. better production values maybe, but never capturing the atmosphere of the original.

some of them are alright though. didn't mind serial killaz remake of tom & jerry - maximum style

or bladerunner black and sound control and serums information centre and serial killaz code red and the license were all brilliant imo

It'd be awesome to hear this bassline in a club again!

what about "who jah bless" or "dirty games"......used to love them tunes back in the day....who jah bless was a fucked up riddem

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it blasphemy to suggest a Pulp Fiction remix by someone like Spectrasoul? Would love to hear a modern alternative, definately minimal version without taking anything away from the original.

Bladerunner is doing them all... Lighter remix, DR S Gachet - Remember the Roller remix, wicked tune do sort of feel like he should leave those tunes be though can't help but think that he's 20 years too late into the scene haha

Bladerunner is doing them all... Lighter remix, DR S Gachet - Remember the Roller remix, wicked tune do sort of feel like he should leave those tunes be though can't help but think that he's 20 years too late into the scene haha

I think blade is cashing in on the old jungle tunes and making it them more accessible to the younger generation , giving them a relick brings them back to life for a bit which is great news imo and he has got the knack of keeping it very close to the original which is all good. The revamps of the philly blunt stuff is great and the remember the roller remix is wicked. Also its recognition for the damage these tunes did back in the day too.

Last edited:

must say wasnt overly impressed wth the lynx edit......and pulp fiction ok it is a classic but it could be so much better.....yeah id love to see this remixed

I think blade is cashing in on the old jungle tunes and making it them more accessible to the younger generation , giving them a relick brings them back to life for a bit which is great news imo and he has got the knack of keeping it very close to the original which is all good. The revamps of the philly blunt stuff is great and the remember the roller remix is wicked. Also its recognition for the damage these tunes did back in the day too.

:applause:
exactly......ive seen a massive resurgence in jungle nights since all the nu-skool jungle (dare i label it that)

Back
Top Bottom