Okay, I've been out of drum and bass for a while... what should I know?

danny marx

Owner of dnbscene.com
I used to be very active in the scene when I was running dnbscene.com back in the early 2000s, but since about 2005 I dropped out altogether to focus on other stuff. I'm now back into the scene and have started going to raves again, so I was wondering what the scene has been doing in the last 5 years.

Who are the big new producers to emerge, any new styles taken hold, any new big DJs or events that I should definitely be checking out? Any pointers would be useful.

Also, nice to see dnbforum still going strong; always was a good community around here from what I remember.

For me Break is my favourite producer, definitly worth checking out his new album (Resistance EP), the whole minimal thing has taken off over the last couple of years, (Rockwell, Ulterior motive, Jubei) just being a couple of names, S.P.Y has gotten very big, worth checking his stuff out, other artists im feeling right now are Spinline and vicious circle (think VC called siren now just had a new album out), these are just a few names tbh, thats all quite techy stuff though, if your into liquid id say Lenzman and random movement are doing well, total science got some mixed styles out and im no expert on jump up but people like hazard, Taxman, original sin, Hamilton if your into that too, Culture shocks doing well too, quite a unique european sounding style, very good producer, hope this helps mate.

good list there, siren is vice from VC and ruxpin from universal project not the new name for VC

And if like me you like something more atmospheric im enjoying Instramental and Dbridge, although minimal is definatly big

Andy C brought out a Nightlife mix really recently - covers a surprising amount of the scene, definitely a good start.

Netsky has emerged very quickly, although the sound is quite samey still kills it for liquid vibes! Camo & Krooked are getting bigger, nice variety from them although quite dancefloor..

Too many more, i'm on lunch so will post bk later..Good to see you came bk to dnb.

Scene is stronger and more diverse than ever before. All types of producers are transcending between sub-genres and coming up with really strong ideas to try and push boundaries. There is definitely an over-saturation of music and producers on the dancefloor side of things; so guys like G-Dub (now split btw), Hazard, Serum, Taxman, Heist, Sigma, Brookes Brothers, Calyx & Teebee, Netsky, Logistics, Alix Perez, Rockwell, Calibre, Spectrasoul, Subfocus, Break, Clipz & Die (to name but a few) have done well to have deserved successes in the past 5 years.

I'd say the raves have changed though. There are LOADS more nights these days. About 5/6 years ago there would be less nights but the raves were bigger. Se0ne, Brixton Academy, Coronet...regular raves at these large venues are a rarity if not gone for good. The Sanctuary closed down. There seems to be more promoters putting on more nights - and although it's nice to catch a cheeky Wednesday if you fancy a few beers, it just seems bigger raves seem to suffer. The growth and successes of label nights such as Ram, Hospital, Playaz, Shogun & Metalheadz have been a positive boost though. These raves are always sell-outs (pretty much) and ram-jamma. The smoking ban has affected turn-outs at raves as well.

I'd say that it depends on what types of dnb you're into that would be able to suggest what kind of DJ, producer and event you're after.

The scene is crying out for a good dependable liquid night for the heads though. Feat. guys like Redeyes, Muffler, Eveson, Camo & Krooked, Nu:Logic (to name a few). Hospitality has its moments but is mostly just one big cringe these days.

The scene is crying out for a good dependable liquid night for the heads though. Feat. guys like Redeyes, Muffler, Eveson, Camo & Krooked, Nu:Logic (to name a few). Hospitality has its moments but is mostly just one big cringe these days.

This

Hospitality is quite possibly the worst of all the label nights

Been out too, ever since that Pendulum sound started to dominate. I was a massive head in the late 90’s . Metalheadz, Ram, V, No u-turn, Full Cycle, Moving Shadow were the labels doing it for me back then.

It was the Commix Fabric comp that made me curious again. I’ve probably spent more money on tunes since then than I did in 90s.

Metalheadz still lead the way for me. After all this time still producing faultless breaks.

Generally though, I like deep, dark, minimal and funky and the labels doing it for me right now.
Critical
Dispatch
Ingredients
Subtitles
Symmetry
Exit
Coded
Invisible
Shogun Audio
Digital Soul Music
Horizons

The most exciting new label is Spearhead, some awesome stuff due on there.

Biggest disappointment for me these days is Ram. Their 90s output was peerless but the stuff form the 00’s just leaves me cold. Not really feeling most of the liquid scene personally. I don’t get Hospital’s popularity for instance but great that the choice is there now.

Best producers both new and upcoming are the likes of Ulterior Motive, Jubei, Alix Perez, Lenzman, Break, Icicle, Skeptical, SPY, Total Science, Spectrasoul, Hybris, Octane & DLR, Survival, Craggz & Parallel, Commix, Data, June Miller, Need for Mirrors, Amoss.....there’s loads of great stuff. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s all shit. It’s not, it’s just different and the choices are there. I’m 37 years old and those 90s vibes were brilliant but the new boys are just great too.

The other thing which we didn’t have back in the day and is just brilliant is the Podcast. Dozens of new tunes to listen to every week all for free mixed by the best in the business.

Try Doc Scott’s Future Beats (the man is still a hero of mine), Critical Music Podcast, Ingredients podcast, Shogun Audio, Metalheadz, Gram Agency etc.

http://www.dubplatedigest.net/ is a good aggregator of all the free stuff out there.

The one thing I don’t know much about is where is good to rave at the moment. Having moved out of London with a young family, getting out is tough. Need to check out Metalheadz again soon.

Anyway, that’s me, someone who was out but got pulled back in. Hope that helps anyways.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so bad

But the crowd there, some of the tunes, the way some people skank hahaaa

Yea it's just a cringe

Yeah I cant abide it.

It's like a shit student disco where the teacher (Colman) is incharge of the music and sings along with it. Plus, any rave where people wear those Kanye West sunnies without any sense of irony deserves the gas face

To summarise:

Jump Up: Womp, Womp, Wobble Wobbly Womp!
Tech: Reece, Reece, Reeeeeeeece
Liquid: Gay
Minimal: (See Tech, take away the breaks and replace with occasional 808's)
Darkstep: Pots n Pans :gslayer:
Techno-DnB: Stomp Stomp Bleep Stomp
Drumfunk: Amens, Amens and more Amens!

:teeth: Just kidding before the Sub Genre police come out!

Generally though, I like deep, dark, minimal and funky and the labels doing it for me right now.
Critical
Dispatch
Ingredients
Subtitles
Symmetry
Exit
Coded
Invisible
Shogun Audio
Digital Soul Music
Horizons

Best producers both new and upcoming are the likes of Ulterior Motive, Jubei, Alix Perez, Lenzman, Break, Icicle, Skeptical, SPY, Total Science, Spectrasoul, Hybris, Octane & DLR, Survival, Craggz & Parallel, Commix, Data, June Miller, Need for Mirrors, Amoss.....there’s loads of great stuff. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s all shit. It’s not, it’s just different and the choices are there. I’m 37 years old and those 90s vibes were brilliant but the new boys are just great too.

what he said. spot on mate. thank you for showing some faith in drum and bass!!

Back
Top Bottom