OK - Reece(Adcanced)

Warmth

Heard and read a lot of shit posts here and elsewhere. But it's like everybody who can get that nasty Noisa or pendulum distorted bass have left the forum once they've learnt 'cause they've allready gotten labeloffers and shit..

But I say that we challange a "pro" to post a sample and instructions, this is getting on my nerves not getting the sound I desire(ye, I know it's a long process etc.)

well, here is my contribution:
I like the PWM better than the Saw waveform(these words/things (Saw/PWM) are the form you choose how you're wave of your sample should be shaped), it's kinda more dirty and hasn't that mariobros feel to it.

Ok, detuning 10-25 on each osc. is fine. (I like more detuning, gives "dirt" to it)

lets face it, chorus/flange/phaser whatever, never do the reece any better, it just loses its juicyness... But I would recommend this shit I learnt myself by accident, just having one Wave detuned and panned right and another detuned the other way and panned left:D try that shit if you haven´t.

well, now it's the end of every other shitty Reece related forum/instruction, but I feel like I can add maybe a little to it, and HOPEFULLY other ones will add more...

There is a thing called Mod.(modilator, I think) and it's like another waveform, but it has like, no sound :S ... but when shaped it flickers like the shape you chose(hang with me noobs:| )
If it is shaped like a sine it flickers rather nicely, ok, the feature rate is the pace at which you want your reece to "flicker" at, having it going up e.g. on the snare and down on the next one(like a singing voice)
Now, you can choose how it flickers, either with the filter going up and down, the volume or the pitch.

Now, I've heard some on the subject of Layering, I don´t really get it, it's such common sense, the most of the info, but here's my perspective.
Instead of layering the same sound(though useful and recommended, you allready know how), instead, if layered with another say, reece with a different shape/form and a different, ehh, "flicker" (e.g. having it a slow "whow"-style like the one on "Enuff is Enuff - Hazard", it's gonna bring more complication and get you thinking how to evolve the breathtaking art of "dance of the Reeces".
A peeerfect, I think, example of perfection of letting the reeces dance are the mighty Noisia (check out "Sacrifice" and "meditation")

But really guys, I don´t have a clue compared to other guys, but I just wanted to give you, if it weren´t just one nice tip, I'm happy..

BUT PLEASE!!! ADD TO THIS SHIT!! AND PLEASE NAME YOUR SOFTWARE OF CHOISE...

and audio would be great, cheers :1:

i say! not too shabby old bean!
you sir are indeed a scholar.
things to keep in mind are harmonics, desk gain or guitar pedal and analog samples. possibly bitcrush.
but you know the rule!! audio or stfu!!

Jag fattar skit-mycke ! Men inte dehar :( tyvarr...
hehe, but tell me, bitcrush ?, harmonics?,desk gain or guitar pedal ??
Jesus, I know, but I am bad with names, and I qoute: "called Mod.(modilator, I think)"
And why don´t you contribute logikz? I find it hard you don´t have something phat to offer ;)

But for the experienced ones who have read the post, I know i don´t get it down like you, but as a rokkie and a "bad-at-names"-guy, this post on the subject feels a bit more, what can I say, "Common-people-like" :S

WELL, everyone, lets put our heads together, dnb-PRODUCTION-forum.com isn´t dead! hehe

Once recorded a basic reese, use a guitar foot pedal (like the old Cry Baby wahwah pedal :slayer: ) and plug it in like you would an effects unit. A wah guitar pedal is basically a LP filter, so you can use it to make some really cool sounding reeses, and its real time manipulation so its as easy as pressing record and moving your foot to the rhythm of the music. If you want to make a reese with really fast fluctuations, faster than your foot can do, just record it at half speed and speed it up afterwards.

harmonics are tonal colorations of the sound, important to get this bit right as it will have a huge impact on the distortion. which you acheive by detuning in your example, something you can elaborate on, with more waves of different charachter, pwm and pitch.
indi explained wah wah pedal nicely there, i was referring to a dist pedal which is an effect unit that distorts what ever signal you run through it. so you use it to distort your synth. analooooooooooooggg
desk gain means just cranking the gain on your mixing desk and recording the result. best distortion there can ever be imo.
bitcrush is an effect that deteriorates the resolution of your sound, it takes a 16 bit sound and makes it sound totally commodore64. i know a free bitcrush plug if you want one.

Good Reeces As Simple as Possible
Things to keep in mind
1)long process good reece s may take days to make
(noisia spent like 5 months on the tide)
2)Only ever make reece in mono
-you want it to sound as full and powerful as possible
stereo will cause phase problems,not cool
2)bounce resample bounce resample
(its all about sampling)
-make your reece in a synth detuned saws are good a good start. 3 + oscillators with slight (very) lfo on phase and pitch wave shape or compress make sure this basic patch contains a full spectrum of frequncies then sample it in a sampler (playing it a few tones lower than the original sample will helps you hear some of those oscillators beating against each other) write a bass line bounce (use some pitch mod). sample the bass line
3)good distortion plugs help to enhance timbre (colour the sound) but dont go over board but on the gain (otherwise your high end will sound like white noise). Guitar pedals are good. But tube pres or amps are better.
4)Layer. Layering very improtant use combinations of bp, lp, hp filter. To create Movement and interest in layers. but dont go overboard and lose the depth you have already created
5)Now you have a bad ass reece, but it still doesnt sound like noisia. Next come the mods (modulation)
-delay modelers (as opposed to amplitude modelers ) are effects created by making two (or more) copies of a signal and modulating one against the other. Simple examples of this are phasing flanging and chorus. Layer up like 10 copies of your bass line in a sequncer all bar one layer muted. hit each layer with different modulation effects. Bring the volume of one layer up as you bring another down repeat with different layers. Creates a movement and those morphing type filtered noisia reeces
6) resample this as your bass line.
7)maybe compress it a bit more so it gels together
8 )try thingss like chopping bits out and reversing them
fade ins fade out high passing it. what ever takes your fancy.
9)Most of all experiment try new things
who wants to be the new noisia when you can be the new
(insert your name here). Plus phace is better anyway.

Extra

For calyx style reeces (how great is the reece in illusions)run everything through a desk hot overloading the pres on the desk. Bring down the trims and adjust volume on faders to suit.

I Have left lots out but thats as simple as it can be put

p.s resample

<edit> didnt add software
nuendo 3
absynth 3
reaktor 5
Kontakt 2
Waves plugs
PSP plugs
beats working in cuba (just for conga samples)
countless others but thats the stuff i couldnt live without

evol22ij.png

Last edited:
ok! We've had it, Sook knows how to do what the do...

I am really curious though, if sook is reeeaaaally good...
'cos you really have to be advanced to own and produce using those programs properly..

Is it true ?? And thanks a lot man, big up !

And logikz, thanks for the plug

Back
Top Bottom