Oiling Center Spindle

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by DJ Spliff, Sep 10, 2009.

1. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

I've read this is good maintenance for your turntables every 'X' amount of hours of use and I've never done it. Now I remember when I first got my turntables and I had to assemble the platter, I just dropped it right on. Now I can't get it off to apply any lubricant. What's the trick to getting the platter off of a SL-1210 Technics turntable. Also, Any thoughts on applying this oil? How to? Should I? Etc.

2. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

A tiny of oil should see it off. A tip to get it off its really stuck; lock the tone arm and turn the deck upside down whilst holding the platter close to a bed of soft sofa, then holding the deck just lift up the deck slowly. The weight of the platter should just pull it off (y)

If not give it a little shake, still close to the bed tho! B

3. DTR

DTR the village idiot

Or you can pull upwards on the platter and get someone to tap the spindle gently with a piece of wood ;)

Use a light oil, 3in1 Oil is perfect

4. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

This proper wierd when i first heard.. tried pullin and pullin and wouldnt come off at all, then gave it a little tap and she came straight off!

5. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

Worked:rinsed:

6. DTR

DTR the village idiot

The spindle / platter fit is called a Morse Taper. They are commonly used in engineering, particularly for cutting tools like drill bits and vertical milling cutters, instead of using a chuck. So you can imagine how strong (but also accurate) a morse taper fit can be :)

Glad you got it sorted :)