oh look, more recording trouble.

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
right, my mixer (behringer vmx 200 usb) has the ability to record to PC via usb, which i have done many many times with great results.

now though....it's fucking awful, nothings clipping, the display on my mixer barely goes into the yellow, and it's not clipping in audacity.

however....when one tune is playing, it sounds fine, when 2 are playing (despite sounding fine through my speakers when i'm playing) it sounds fucking awful.

like so...

i would record using the line-in/mic-in and a phono cable...but my laptop is having absolutely none of that.

- - - Updated - - -

also...static...fucking how? it's all digital.

When I was recording on my old laptop, if it was on charge it affected the recording, that might be it? Most likely not but worth a shot

static might come from poor quality digital files.

overall it sounds ok to me. well standard behringer quality. i only had a quick listen through some shite inear phones tho.
your issue with sound quality in the mix sounds like its your eq work. might sound fine out of your speakers but too much bass on bass will distort especially on a recording.

static might come from poor quality digital files.

overall it sounds ok to me. well standard behringer quality. i only had a quick listen through some shite inear phones tho.
your issue with sound quality in the mix sounds like its your eq work. might sound fine out of your speakers but too much bass on bass will distort especially on a recording.

it's not the EQing, although i do need to work on that. All the digital files are legit 320's...mine are at least, i have a handful of a mates discs he burnt for a b2b set we played, and there's no telling where he got them from. but lets not dwell on that eh

but this mix was recorded on the same set-up with the same method. And the audio quality is fine

- - - Updated - - -

tried with the laptop unplugged, no different.

tried with making sure the bass on one tune was all the way down, no different.

it also seems to lack bass and really treble heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

now this is even weirder... listening back to a mixlr i did a week ago with the same input method, it's absolutely fine (despite the weird static through the right channel i always get in mixlr for some reason).

gonna try recording into FL, see if that's any better.

maybe one of your cables is fucked and the signal isn't going into the laptop properly? if it's only a recent issue that's all i can think of. make sure audacity hasnt changed any settings, get the input low as possible the boost through the mixer. (i'm aware you probably have done all this but it's worth checking)

edit: doesn't sound bad really so far? had a listen for like 5 mins or so

AAAAAAAH! After everyone telling me it sounds fine, i realised that when i've been listening back to that mix, and test recordings, it's been through my headphones, through my speakers, it's not too bad.

[smash forehead here]

Back
Top Bottom