Official DNB Forum Remix Compo

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
@dnbforum @$marty @logikz @Sammy Dexcell @Reactor Grits @Teddy @RUSSLA

1. Deadlines: The competitions begins today, and the deadline is Sunday November 1st at Midnight Greenwich Mean Time. Send all submissions to me via dnbfourm private message. I prefer if you make your tracks downloadable via soundcloud but this is not a rule. Once the deadline has been reached I will post every bodies track anonymously for voting. The top five tracks then will be judged by a panel to pick the winner.(If you would like to be a judge please inquire.)
  2. Voting: Everybody will get two votes, you can vote on your first and second choice tracks, but you can NOT vote for yourself. All tracks that have enough votes to become a top five winner, votes will be suspended after the threshold has been reached. So if track G has needs 15 votes to become a finalist, and has all 15, then you must vote for another track. The first five tracks to get enough votes to qualify are the elected winner. This method will insure no one or two people get all the votes while everyone else only get a couple.
  3. Rules for Track: There are no stems or limitations except you must sample any movie of your own choosing and be able to prove you sampled a movie in some way, shape or form. This competition is all about you making the best track you can and sharing it. All resources you have at your disposal are excepted, and collaborations are excepted.
  4. The Winner: The winner of this Compo gets an all expense paid vacation to the waffle section of the forum, and is declared kingz of interwebz. All contestants must help support the winner in some way shape or form. If anyone has any prizes that they can give please let us know. And if you guys want me to create a sample pack of my own stuff I will.
  5. Community: We are one so we should support each other.
  6. Rule Changes: All rules are subject to change by moderators and popular consensus.
  7. HAVE FUN AND MAKE THE BEST TRACK YOU CAN
  8. Final Rule: Your track must be drum and bass. You can make any style but it must be drum and bass.

Last edited:
@dnbforum @$marty @logikz @Sammy Dexcell @Reactor Grits @Teddy @RUSSLA

1. Deadlines: The competitions begins today, and the deadline is Sunday November 1st at Midnight Greenwich Mean Time. Send all submissions to me via dnbfourm private message. I prefer if you make your tracks downloadable via soundcloud but this is not a rule. Once the deadline has been reached I will post every bodies track anonymously for voting. The top five tracks then will be judged by a panel to pick the winner.(If you would like to be a judge please inquire.)
  2. Voting: Everybody will get two votes, you can vote on your first and second choice tracks, but you can NOT vote for yourself. Also, at a certain point and time any track has enough of a votes based on percentage to make it into the top five. Voting for that track will be suspended and you MUST vote for another track. The first five tracks to get enough votes to qualify are the elected winner. This method will insure no one or two people get all the votes while everyone else only get a couple.
  3. Rules for Track: There are no stems or limitations except you must sample any movie of your own choosing and be able to prove you sampled a movie in some way, shape or form. This competition is all about you making the best track you can and sharing it. All resources you have at your disposal are excepted, and collaborations are excepted.
  4. The Winner: The winner of this Compo gets an all expense paid vacation to the waffle section of the forum, and is declared kingz of interwebz. All contestants must help support the winner in some way shape or form. If anyone has any prizes that they can give please let us know. And if you guys want me to create a sample pack of my own stuff I will.
  5. Community: We are one so we should support each other.
  6. Rule Changes: All rules are subject to change by moderators and popular consensus.
  7. HAVE FUN AND MAKE THE BEST TRACK YOU CAN

Who-hoho! Jacob's Ladder, here I come!

Just to clarify:
Is the wording intentionally vague so that you can sample speech, sound fx and/or score music, or is it implied that one has to do a remix of a movie score?
Is it acceptable to sample/remix regular music featured in a film's soundtrack (either in the movie or in the credits?)

I tried something yesterday and I got some interesting results, about ripping the audio from the mp4 file of the movie I'm gonna sample, maybe this will help:

I used Sony Vegas for this, but I believe any video recording and editing program can do as well. I just dropped the mp4 file into it (keep in mind it's a full hd version of the movie) and it automatically broke the movie into the visual part and three audio parts, one for the stereo soundtrack, one for mono soundtrack and one just for the speeches.

Easily enough, I could rip only the speeches, in a quality .wav file to use in the compo. I don't know if you guys know this already, but I thought I'd share.

Just to clarify:
Is the wording intentionally vague so that you can sample speech, sound fx and/or score music, or is it implied that one has to do a remix of a movie score?
Is it acceptable to sample/remix regular music featured in a film's soundtrack (either in the movie or in the credits?)

I think it should be limited to soundtracks (exlusive for the film) and stuff that's happing right at the film. Otherwise you could just go and bootleg John Newman's love me again because it's at the credits from Edge Of Tomorrow :P

I might start this tonight, need to check because I still got a lot of production work to commence and finish first lol.

Oh man, nothing that you couldn't finish in 1 hour...

I wish, got this footwork/dnb/trap track which takes more time than usual. Got another track which is taking ages to finish (and still don't know what to do with it). Also got a mixdown to do and 2 other tracks to critically listen to before sending out. And finally I got this to start and still uncertain which movie I shall use.

Pretty busy.

Alright, I'm in. With this long deadline I should def get something done!
Lot's of ways to go about this! I'm interested in everyones result

@Menosance, I was just kidding, man. I'm sure that all you have to be done are pretty dope, as your stuff tend to be!

Yesterday I started the sample selection from the movie Jacob's Ladder. It's pretty hard to know what to use when you have a 1 hour and 50 minute wav file with lots of dialogues and sounds that could be used as percussion.

Back
Top Bottom