Offering online music production tuition

fanu

31818146_884253528442718_7148392388908548096_o.jpg

I'm about to launch a music production tuition / "help service".

What is that exactly?
I'm an electronic music production professional with 25+ years of electronic music production experience (Fanu / FatGyver) – I started around 1992 and have been at it since.
I've also founded a successful music mixing and mastering business with a wide international client base, which is now my day job that pays for my living (Mastering and Mixing by Fanu).
Also, I'm officially Ableton Certified, meaning I'm an Ableton pro. I mostly do tuition as one-to-one sessions in my home and do a few workshops per year in my area. I just made Skype work for that nicely, too.

Producers contact me with Qs relating to these three things on the regular, almost daily now, with a wide variety of questions, and my service would help these people.
I've been giving quite a bit of free help via various social media over the years and noticed that my expertise is welcome: once I help someone, the questions keep coming in.
It's time to offer all this expertise as a paid service.

I'm thinking one way to do this would be via Skype; I've now set up decent screen and audio sharing capabilities, which allow me to share my computer screen, computer audio, and my own speech.
I also have some producers hitting me up via Telegram with production-related questions, and we've been thinking of suitable, tailored payments plans for everybody based on what type help they need and how often.

For hourly pricing, I'm thinking 55 EUR for now (+ I am obliged to charge VAT if you are in the EU) – this is subject to change at any time.
Charging for that would be based on actual time used for sessions.
Batch price for several hours can be discussed.

I have also been doing tailored videos on specific topics, which I must admit I like doing a lot.

This is still slightly at planning stage, but nothing says I can't kick things off with those who are interested already.

Just a few example topics I am asked on the regular:
• "I'd like to learn Ableton basics"
• "I've always had trouble mixing my songs and I have trouble with [X and Y] in my productions – can you comment on my mix so I can improve my productions?"
• "Can I pick your brain about some suggested plugins for a specific task / could you show me how to use them to achieve [X]?"
• "How do I make my bass more audible?"
• "I'd like to learn how to chop samples and make sample-based music"
• "I could use a really quick 2-hour crash course on Ableton"
etc. etc.

The only thing I wish not to "teach" or comment is musical content and highly subjective matters.
"Is my song good? How to make a good song? What do you think about my song?" so what I'd offer would be mostl the technical side.

Back
Top Bottom