Off Beat Mixing

I wouldn't really call it offbeat mixing more cuttin and jugglin between beats because runnin two tunes in offbeat sounds pretty shit.

Hard to explain, but here goes

Basically when u normally drop tunes in your dropping a kick ontop of a kick so the snares are in time...easy, 1 type of offbeat mixing is when you drop the first snare in a bar on to the first kick of a bar; this gives a sort of double snare/kick effect (sounds really shoddy if ya is runnin both tunes but it's sounds crazy when u flick between the snares and the the kicks of the seperate tunes) Sounds best with identical tunes but its the case of finding tunes with similar drum patterns if ya gonna mix different ones.

Another form is where u drop the 2nd tune in 1 hihat behind, sounds good when u flick beween kicks but sounds shit if ya runnin the two tunes over each other. This one gives more of an echo effect.

Rest r being kept quiet :pimp:

I think you are talking about just dropping the second record 1/2 a step off! Check out Markys set on the drum and bass arena from awhile ago,(maybe dec or jan) he does it with body rock! Kind of cool, but if not done right it will sound like you just made a big mistake....

Originally posted by klusta
I wouldn't really call it offbeat mixing more cuttin and jugglin between beats because runnin two tunes in offbeat sounds pretty shit.

Hard to explain, but here goes

Basically when u normally drop tunes in your dropping a kick ontop of a kick so the snares are in time...easy, 1 type of offbeat mixing is when you drop the first snare in a bar on to the first kick of a bar; this gives a sort of double snare/kick effect (sounds really shoddy if ya is runnin both tunes but it's sounds crazy when u flick between the snares and the the kicks of the seperate tunes) Sounds best with identical tunes but its the case of finding tunes with similar drum patterns if ya gonna mix different ones.

Another form is where u drop the 2nd tune in 1 hihat behind, sounds good when u flick beween kicks but sounds shit if ya runnin the two tunes over each other. This one gives more of an echo effect.

Isnt that classed as Phasing?
not sure, but thats what ive always thought it was

Some tunes from 1992 (Rush Till Dawn "We Told You" and Force Mass Motion 007) are made so that you HAVE to mix the tune in on the off beat. DnB tunes these days aren't made like this however its still possible to do interesting tricks by mixing in on the off beat. For example its fun to play doubles of Digital's "G Man" by mixing the second copy in on the off beat. You can then do interesting "fills" with the record which is on the off beat.

Try it, you might like it. Its fun. :2thumbs:

Originally posted by qdos
Isnt that classed as Phasing?

very similar except phasing is dropped in 'on beat', so the kicks/snares layer ontop of each other. This gives a sort of clean phasing effect of the whole tune. With some offbeat techniques you may also get phasing basslines but it depends on the length and type of bassline.

Take a listen to that alien girl post I put up, there's a mixture of techniques in there :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom