Obtaining Video Game Samples

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
I was wondering how I would go about getting samples from a video game. Mind you, the games I want to sample aren't emulated and there aren't any samples from them that are easily accessible. I'm talking about speech taken from a cut scene or in-game sound effects. The possibility of ripping the audio off of YouTube is there but I'd rather have a pristine version of the audio that hasn't been run through a chain of degradation.

So, is there a way of obtaining speech and video game samples, WITHOUT playing a game for X hours, just for 5 seconds of audio? Any possible way's of accessing the audio tracks of the games disc perhaps?

Unfortunately, these games do not have a "Sound Test" menu option, so I'm out of luck there.

Any help would be graciously accepted.

That's really cool! I didn't know about these, thanks a lot. None of my research on the topic rendered anything about these.

How do they work exactly? Do I just find the unpacker and pop my PS2 disc into my computer? Nothing will get damaged in the process?

Ok, so I haven't downloaded any sort of unpacker but I put one of my PS2 games into my Mac (just to see what would happen) and it opened it with all sorts of weird stuff. Perhaps I could convert one of these odd file types instead?

I went about the Youtube way of doing it, quality turned out to be ok in the end because I spent a while eq-ing it and effecting etc, so if all else fails Youtube may not be so bad, so long as the cut scene you want is uploaded in HQ.

Another suggestion, does the game have an option to replay cutscenes? You could route the audio from your PS2 into an audio interface and record it yourself..?

hmm on a pc game it would be as easy as selecting rec input, hitting rec and playing the part where the sound is. maybe if this game is also on pc you could obtain it somewhere and record it like that.

The games I want to get sounds from are mostly all PS2 games, I know about how easy it is to get PC game sounds.

Last night I popped one off my Armored Core games into my Mac and it opened up with a bunch of unreadable file types (the most common one being ".pss") After some research I found several programs that can take these files apart so to speak. The only problem is that they are for Windows, and as hard as I tried last night I couldn't find any for Mac. Nonetheless I downloaded them anyways and put them on my flash drive, I'm going to try them on a different computer when I get out of class today. I'll let you all know how that goes.

bootcamp with XP on your mac. should work fine, and it wont disrupt your mac in any way.

This man knows. Just got my shiny new Macbook dual booted. Download a little mac app called reFit, install it and you get a nice little menu on boot up to select either OS X or XP.

Woah I think people are reading into this way too deep. Surely the most simple way to get sound from a PS2 would be to get a cable from the TV output straight into your Mac and then record. New TVs have phono outs or failing that just get a mini jack cable into the headphone socket and then directly into you Mic input or through an audio interface.

Fuck unpacking things and finding the actual files, long (except for PC games like Gordo said)

I need to have a copy of XP though to use these right? I've known about bootcamp, but just never used it because I've heard it can act like a back door for nasties that your Mac would otherwise be impervious to.

:P Perhaps...

The main thing for me is time, I want to produce and I have very little time for that with college and all, I want to get straight to the point.

For example, I don't want to end up playing a game for 2 1/2 hours just for a 6 second sample, just to find out my levels weren't good or part of the sample got cut off. It'd be less of a hassle just to extract the original audio.

Just noticed you said "WITHOUT" playng the game, bit lazy init :P
its not about laziness. say you want a bit of dialogue thats playing along with other sounds during the game. also, games like gta place each sound source in a space and have proximity effect to what you actually listen. if you unpack a game, then you get everything clean and in good quality.

Is there not a level select cheat, that way you can get to the sound you need without playing the whole thing. You should use a prog like soundforge to record what you need aswell. I swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom