Obey - Summer Promo Mix ( That's not summery)

Sicx

VIP Junglist
Haven't recorded a mix in ages so thought i'd go for something a bit different, going in dark & aggressive for this one, not very summery I might add...

Tracklist:

01. Blocks, Escher, Loxy & Resound - Monsters [Narratives]
02. Overlook - Clouds [N/A]
03. Paragon - Heirship [Samurai]
04. Ruffhouse & Clarity - Persecute [Critical:Modulations]
05. DBR UK - Burning Edges [Interactive]
06. Overlook & Clarity - ChinaTown [Free]
07. Clarity - Tolerate [Horizons]
08. Unknown - Untitled [N/A]
09. Felix K - Flowers of Destruction #6 [Hidden Hawaii]
10. Blocks, Escher & ASC - Heliocentric [Narratives]
11. Erkiu & Maurus - First Breath [CX Digital]
12. Ruffhouse & Clarity - Aphasia [Critical:Modulations]
13. Unknown - Untitled [N/A]
14. Jubei & Consequence - Accidental Note [Metalheadz]
15. Loxy & Resound - Celestial March [Exit]
16. Boards of Canada - Telepath [Warp]

I haven't really been that active in this part of the forum for ages so understand if no one wants to dish out any real feedback as i've not been giving any lately! But any comments and jazz will be much appreciated, cheers!

Last edited:
Loved hearing Monsters from the beginning. Sounded like lots of parts being put together to make something industrial like an old tv or radio :) wicked tune all the same. Plus doubled with Clouds :O what a quality blend + someone must know Overlook fairly well as I remember seeing something else in the tracklist when this first popped up on here. Enjoyed hearing the tailing off melody of Monsters hanging in there through the break in Clouds. The additional almost plucked strung elements in Heirship before the thumping beat was pleasing to hear again + the broodiness around the 7:30 mins mark setting up the transitions into Persecute was amazing. Fav blend it there so far :) and those 2 really complimenting each other. The echoed minor vocal in Burning Edges blesses Persecute very well, bring the subtle additions to the mix before tearing out mainly on its own to full effect. Nice hearing China Town in a mix again, the vocals in that and B-E talking to one another. Thoroughly enjoyed hearing Tolerate in a mix again, and sits well with China Town (as you would expect from 2 Clarity influenced tunes). Have started reaching for this one again too. That next Unknown bit was very complimenting of Tolerate. The subtle vocal grown in there is well chosen in that tune.

Flowers of Destruction #6 is my fav off that LP and really worked with the last tune, sneaking under the radar a bit. Had elements of The Boogaloo & The Domino Effect in that tune... subtly rolling and pounding. The melodies in Heliocentric eased well to FOD6 and left to drop on its own was a wicked choice, getting the full impact of that drums and spares bass. Not heard First Breath, but was a very nice first listen. Aphasia used for devastating effect in there, still with some pine-ing bits from First Breath doing the damage in the mix. Something familiar coming in ;) lucky git is all I can say. Nice to hear Accidental Note in a mix again. That tune gets vastly overlooked with regard to the tune on the flip. Celestial March sounded wicked in there. My dad even came in from the other room to say "thats very melodic" - Dad's getting in on the feedback :D More melodic tonal flavours in Telepath. Was really interested to hear what that was, as I know there have been some wicked tunes on that Warp label. Didn't disappoint that end tune.

Really enjoyed the mix, as the tracklist and all your other mixes I've listened to would suggestion. Selection was top drawer and was the EQ'ing and tunes to minutes ratio. As mentioned in Jack's MM9, mixes like this make me want to get back on the Beats & Bass series
(which will be returning in September ;) )

Loved hearing Monsters from the beginning. Sounded like lots of parts being put together to make something industrial like an old tv or radio :) wicked tune all the same. Plus doubled with Clouds :O what a quality blend + someone must know Overlook fairly well as I remember seeing something else in the tracklist when this first popped up on here. Enjoyed hearing the tailing off melody of Monsters hanging in there through the break in Clouds. The additional almost plucked strung elements in Heirship before the thumping beat was pleasing to hear again + the broodiness around the 7:30 mins mark setting up the transitions into Persecute was amazing. Fav blend it there so far :) and those 2 really complimenting each other. The echoed minor vocal in Burning Edges blesses Persecute very well, bring the subtle additions to the mix before tearing out mainly on its own to full effect. Nice hearing China Town in a mix again, the vocals in that and B-E talking to one another. Thoroughly enjoyed hearing Tolerate in a mix again, and sits well with China Town (as you would expect from 2 Clarity influenced tunes). Have started reaching for this one again too. That next Unknown bit was very complimenting of Tolerate. The subtle vocal grown in there is well chosen in that tune.

Flowers of Destruction #6 is my fav off that LP and really worked with the last tune, sneaking under the radar a bit. Had elements of The Boogaloo & The Domino Effect in that tune... subtly rolling and pounding. The melodies in Heliocentric eased well to FOD6 and left to drop on its own was a wicked choice, getting the full impact of that drums and spares bass. Not heard First Breath, but was a very nice first listen. Aphasia used for devastating effect in there, still with some pine-ing bits from First Breath doing the damage in the mix. Something familiar coming in ;) lucky git is all I can say. Nice to hear Accidental Note in a mix again. That tune gets vastly overlooked with regard to the tune on the flip. Celestial March sounded wicked in there. My dad even came in from the other room to say "thats very melodic" - Dad's getting in on the feedback :D More melodic tonal flavours in Telepath. Was really interested to hear what that was, as I know there have been some wicked tunes on that Warp label. Didn't disappoint that end tune.

Really enjoyed the mix, as the tracklist and all your other mixes I've listened to would suggestion. Selection was top drawer and was the EQ'ing and tunes to minutes ratio. As mentioned in Jack's MM9, mixes like this make me want to get back on the Beats & Bass series
(which will be returning in September ;) )
Watcha you are too kind man! Fantastic feedback as usual, apologies if I've not been giving you the feedback as i've been really busy lately. Im glad you liked it though and im really looking forward to the return of B&B!

Obey, are you running on a synchronous parallel universe to mine? I've been working on a dark moody trip-out session for a while now. Just haven't had the time to do the finishing touches but this sounds great. Proper feedback on the usual with a little more time. I'll be back.

Watcha you are too kind man! Fantastic feedback as usual, apologies if I've not been giving you the feedback as i've been really busy lately. Im glad you liked it though and im really looking forward to the return of B&B!

No worries mate! Happy to feedback if a tracklist is immense, as I have mentioned before.
You will not be disappointed when it returns :) got lots of bits up your street

Bump!
Will be taking this down this weekend and putting up a 130/house one me thinks. Download now if you fancy :)

Bump!
Will be taking this down this weekend and putting up a 130/house one me thinks. Download now if you fancy :)

Solid all the way through man, the material is excellently presented. From the opening track, it's a proper tempo for the edgier sounds. I dig a lot of your autonomic mixes, but I can tell you can pretty much manage just about any other subgenre within acceptable noise and distorted bass. Range a must! That Blocks & Escher collab with ASC is sounding crisp and fresh. Liked the direction there and that mix was probably my favorite. Over all good stuff as usual! This is a shortie of a feedback, mostly because of work and just too much stuff going on at the moment, but I am definitely looking forward to your 130 mix and see what directions you take that one!

this is brilliant joe, downloading for future listening. perfect snapshot for this sound, those exclusives are hefty too

Just got round to listening to this, love your style man. The music you play is right up my street, quality late night listenin after a hard day at work. Wicked

Back
Top Bottom