Obey - Sierra Network Podcast Vol. III

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Sicx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Vol. III of the SN podcast is done by myself, not recorded a mix in so long and this is finally something im fairly happy with.
    Whole mix has a very deep, futuristic, blade runner vibe and i've included bits from the OST by Vangelis to give it that sort of theme.

Tracklist:

01. Vangelis - Blade Runner Theme [EMI]
    ---They Live - 7998 [Exit]
    02. Boards of Canada - Transmisiones Ferox [Warp]
    03. Reso - Check 1, 2 (Danny Scrilla Remix) [Civil]
    04. Om Unit - Ulyssess VIP [Free]
    05. Kromestar - X Files [Cosmic Bridge]
    06. Scuba - Cognitive Dissonance [Hotflush]
    07. EAN - Flow (Om Unit Remix) [Cosmic Bridge]
    08. Om Unit & Sam Binga - Small Victories [Exit]
    09. Ulrich Schnauss - I Take Comfort In Your Ignorance (ASC Remix) [Scripted Realities]
    10. ASC & Sam KDC - Sonder [Auxiliary]
    11. Bass'Flo & Ziyal - Matter Is Energy [Advection]
    12. Method One - Moonlight Mile [Auxiliary]
    13. Method One & Synth Sense - Echo Shard [Auxiliary]
    14. Central Industrial - Kowloon Walled City [Auxiliary]
    15. ASC - The Noncolour Entity [Auxiliary]
    16. RQ - Sorrow Of The Hunter [Samurai
    17. Boards of Canada - Gemini [Warp]
    18. Vangelis - Tears In Rain [EMI]

Blade Runner sample cut from the intro & outro due to Soundcloud copyright issues, listen to the full mix with samples here:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Just/obey-sierra-network-podcast-vol-iii/

As usual feedback, comments, faves, downloads, the lot very much appreciated.

Also been really slacking with giving feedback recently so will get back on listening to alot of forum mixes asap, cheers!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

got AM1GO's 'exit, auxiliary, horo, narratives' mix to listen to next, then will jump on this

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  3. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Nice one mate, need to give your new b n b some feedback asap!

4. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

looks big! on it

5. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

The intro of this was quality. Never heard a mix start like that, and especially with that vocal bit of 7998. Worked SO well man.... you should be really pleased with that bit.

Heard Zkinz play a Boards Of Canada bit in his minimal mix, and your selection of theirs sounded choice, then bringing that Check 1, 2 rmx in right from the start was a masterclass from you, which I have heard you do before with no beat to work off & virtually nothing to gauge the mix with Ulyssess VIP's melody sat a treat with Check 1, 2 rmx, and before the mix gets to it, I will mention that I haven't heard anyone mix X Files yet, so I am interested to see how you got that to go in there (also trying to work out a nice mix with it myself since I got it :-/ ) Did you have an open channel / fader when you started X Files? cos you bring the intro in on the first note of the intro, which was a nice touch.

Cognitive Dissonance off the back was a pleasant blend, like with most Scuba tunes (Hotflush btw). Loving the Om Unit take on Flow...letting that play for a nice amount of time..... Small Victories sitting well off the previous Om Unit beat + must start playing that more after hearing you and Fracture play it in his Exit x Star Wars mix. Do like that ASC rmx of Ulrich Schnauss, but didn't bag that EP just for that. Sonder was quality with the melodies of the previous ASC tune clinging on. One of my favourites off that EP, Sonder.

Move into slightly unfamiliar territory for me with the next few tunes, but when the punchy beat of Echo Shard started doing the damage, it made my ears prick up some more :) slept on picking that one up, then into some more tranquil flavours with no beat that you mover between with effortless execution. Saw you mention your love for The Noncolour Entity when the thread went up about that EP...... another tune I'm still getting round to mixing. Enjoyed the outro Boards Of Canada bit with some more Bladerunner vocals. A sublime tail end to say the least, like some Brian Eno shizzle :)

Sound. I think you would like B&B 5 which is still floating around

6. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Thank you man.
    X Files took ALOT of practice for me, I love it but it sounds so messy with 99% of the tunes i've got. Regarding the mix with Ulyssess, i had X Files on an 8 bar repeat as im using Traktor and cued it up before hand, then just whacked the channel up when Cognitive.. came down to the beat, took a few attempts to get the EQ'ing right.

Ty! :p

Yeah its essentially just Focus Inwards with a few 'I Take...' bits in, like the melody though.

Big up for the feedback dude, as per really great and really helpful and interesting to see what others make of you're mixing.

also BUMP for anyone else!

7. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

Will peep this at some point. Love your mixes

8. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

mate not much to say other than this is beautiful, i think my favourite of yours ever ever. the vangelis intro / outro is pure vibes and your selection is just mental, deep space music at its finest. i really need to keep an eye on some of these bits as admittedly i've been slacking on this front

ah just seen the mixcloud extended cut haha, loading that up right now (y)

Sicx likes this.
  9. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Nice one Dan.

Big up Jack! glad youre feeling it. Yeah the idea was to give the whole thing a real deep space, futuristic vibe and im glad that showed.
    Think the little Bladerunner vocal samples really add something as well so check out the mixcloud link if have time

10. EuroTide

EuroTide Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed this ! keep them coming

11. Afek_One

Afek_One Well-Known Member

A man after my own heart. Great TL. Listening now.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to come up with one of these theme mixes.

- - - Updated - - -

That Check 1,2 drop gave me goosebumps dude. Real shit.

12. Sub Led Alibi

Sub Led Alibi New Member

Really diggin this, you put a high level of thought in the atmosphere throughout - I'm nervous to upload a few of my own now! ;) :2thumbs:

13. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Thanks dude, really enjoy doing them so many more to come.
    Big up Afek, thought you'd like this mix :)
    Gunna feedback on yours in a sec looks tasty.
    Thank you man! Im glad you liked it. Haha dont be, shall check it out when you upload. Also big up for the follow on Soundcloud mate.