Multi Genre Obey - Sierra Network Podcast Vol. I

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Sicx, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Finally got round to recording this tonight after working on a tracklist for ages, loads of bits I wanted to include but as usual wanted to make everything flow as cleanly as possible. Pretty experimental mix although the main part of it is dnb tempo. Have a listen and see what you think!

Be good to get any sort of feedback, cheers!

'To kick off a string of podcasts for the newly founded clothing company Sierra Network, owner Obey delivers an hours worth of music spanning a wide variety of genres.'

01. Unknown - Untitled [???]
    02. Model 500 - OFI (Indigo Transmission) [Apollo]
    03. Gorillaz - Stylo (ft. Bobby Womack & Mos Def) [Parlophone]
    04. ASC - Textura [NonPlus+]
    05. Om Unit - Ether [Terrorhythm]
    06. Synkro - Mutual Divide (ft. Indigo) [Apollo]
    07. Borealis - You Were Away [Origami Sound]
    08. Synkro - Recognition [Apollo]
    09. Synkro & Indigo - Guidance [Exit]
    10. Beastie Repond - Startle [CX N/A]
    11. ???
    12. Eschaton - Molecular (Stunna Remix) [Omni]
    13. Chris Coco - My Desire (Synkro Remix) [Melodica]
    14. Synkro - Broken Promise [Apollo]
    15. Silent Dust - The Giant (Om Unit Remix) [None60]
    16. Stunna - Optima [N/A]
    17. Om Unit X Daedelus - Vous Etes Stereo [All City]
    18. Om Unit - Cradle [Terrorhythm]
    19. Sorrow - 21.12.12 [N/A]
    20. BvDub - The Art of Dying Alone [Glacial Movements]

With forthcoming mixes by unknown and established producers and DJ's in the works, be sure to like us on Facebook to get the latest info:

http://www.Facebook.com/SierraNetworkClothing
    http://Sierranetwork.bigcartel.com/

Jwood27 and bn14 like this.
  2. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

Gonna download this tomorrow joe, looks interesting!

3. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Cheers dan! let me know what you think bud

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

On this! Om Unit remix of Giant :D cant wait to hear it in the mix.
    Will be my late night listening tonight. (y) big ups Sicx.

Will check the Sierra Network threads see if there is something I like bro pretty cool project you got going on lad!

5. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

What a splendid mix Joe, loved it all the way through as usual. Major props for playing Stylo, my favourite Gorillaz song, dat bass! Loved the overall flow, it all seemed to fit very well together although the tracklist is indeed varied very much. There's really not much more I can say as I'm not really familiar with the major part of the tracklist (shame on me, yeah), will need to bag many of them tunes in there. Big up! :)

6. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Cause you will get some feedback man, if any of your previous mixes are anything to go by.

The secret tune intro was a pleasant way to start the podcast. Essence's of 80's film soundtrack build for the simplistic beat of OFI rmx to take hold. Nice to hear the drifting notes of Stylo again. Not up there with some of my favourite Gorillaz tunes, but sounded good & well placed in the mix. Vocals of OFI rmx & Stylo moving in & out of each other quite well. Not heard Textura before & it merged off the back of Stylo effortlessly. Almost missed Ether as it was mixed so well. Mutual Divide breezed into Textura for yet another effortless blend. You Were Away brings yet more tranquil vibes to the ride with some soundscape flavours & spaced out beats to kick. Kudos for playing Guidance. What a lovely tune, as per alot of Synkro's tunes. Tempted to put that in a Beats & Bass episode at some point. Startle moves into Guidance very well for the steppy beats in Startle to take hold, and the underlying ambiance of Guidance still doing its business.

The second secret weapon's melodic flavours & simply steppy beat sat nicely onto Startle, with that short but complex drum roll to work wonders in the mix. More spaced out flavours in Molecular rmx were very easy on the ears. Been a while since I heard a new Stunna tune. My Desire rmx was also another wicked listen. Sounds like an Om Unit style tune without the footwork beat. Peachy vocals of Broken Promise warm into the podcast. Quality hearing The Giant rmx in a mix too. Optima brings some memorable vocals & ambient flavour to the proceedings. Vous Etes Stereo brings some menace in the tail end of the mix for the blend with Cradle to sit very well. 21.12.12 brings back the Brian Eno style notes, where the beats have completely escaped for that & The Art of Dying Alone too, wrapping up the gift for the finished article.

A quality mix Sicx & the start of yet another epic series I believe will unfold. Your mixes are always a great listen, opening our ears to music we may never get the opportunity to hear :) Looking forward to volume 2! Was mulling over the idea of picking up Cradle ect + Le Singe (after hearing it in Jacks mix the other day) & The Giant rmx over the last week, but decided not too, as I would only be picking up the vinyls for the odd tune that I like.

7. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Cheers Smith, let me know your thoughts. And thank you! Lots of designs in the works so be sure to check back now and again :)

Nice one Vaclav, Stylo's one of my faves as well, love the 80's synth vibes. But cheers dude, appreciate it.

Watcha going in on the epic feedback once again! really appreciate the detail you go into mate. Volume 2 will probably not be done by me but i'll defiantly be doing another mix in the future with these sort of vibes.
    Im also very, very tempted to bag Le Singe, easily my favourite track at the minute, the breakdown is gorgeous.

8. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

wow, this really is some lean back music. never heard anything of it ever before, it was a nice journey ;)

might have to check out more of this stuff, seems to be a good contrast

9. The Watcha

No worries man! Does The Corridor & Cradle mix with 170 dnb? Says they are 98 & 94 bmp respectively on Chemical Recs, which are both at least half 180 bpm, but sound way too fast when I have tried beat matching them with half time dnb tunes on the decks. Enlighten me please oh knowledgeable one

10. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Thanks Wingz glad you liked!

Not really man, the Corridor EP is all around the 94-100bpm. Cradle can be pitched down, kinda, to mix with dnb but it generally sounds wayyy too slow. The track Ether kinda works but its pretty hard to find drum & bass tracks that work with them as the EP is really half time'y and almost hip-hop'ey

11. The Watcha

Thanks for the low down Sicx. I'll give it a miss I think

12. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

yes yes, downloading, now, sounds big

13. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Safe man!

Also dunno who keeps rating my mixes 5 stars but appreciate it!

14. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

i do. i think im the only one who rates anything round here.

halfway thru the mix man, snds like a movie/game soundtrack. seriously good vibes.

15. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Castel again.

16. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

listened while i was making/eating my dinner. so nice to listen to. thanks for that man. swing a link my way in the future i dont wanna miss one of these!

17. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Nice one dan, will do bud

Agent Smith likes this.
  18. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Mate - this was fucking awesome.

I don't think I've ever listened to a mix of yours that I either didn't like the vibe or tune selection, your mixes always show me some new bits I've never heard tbh.

Have browsed over the Sierra Network tee's and I have to say I will be making a purchase soon. (y) keep up the good work lad.

Ez.

19. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

what can i say mate, fantastic stuff. selection is possibly even more next than it usually is from your mixes, om unit / sorrow / synkro / beastie respond all my favourite artists right about now. i felt especially with this one everything was just so seamless, ridiculous flow. one thing i will say is that having heard stylo being rinsed at work time and time again it's novelty has worn off on me somewhat haha so had to skim through that a bit. including vous etes stereo reminds me how much i need that 12, laser precise production that. those claps... hot dangg..... beautiful

as always, nuff respect for your output. big in the gaaaame. also my need for a nebula stag T is strengthening and so expect a purchase to be made soon!

20. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

sublime.

that is all