Obey - Drum & Bass Promotional Mix (Spring 2013) (Dancefloor friendly!)

Sicx

VIP Junglist
So seen as my Sierra Network Podcast Mix I recorded a few weeks ago wasn't strictly drum & bass, I thought now would be the time to record another 100% dnb one for promotional use. Pretty dancefloor friendly/upbeat compared to the stuff you're probably used to be doing, this is generally the type of sound I mix when I play out.

Wanted to include alot of styles so it starts off fairly liquidy, then some deeper, darker stuff at the end.
Also this wasnt an off the cuff thing spent a fair old time planning the tracklist so it flows.

So yeah, Hope you enjoy and as per downloads, faves, soundcloud follows and feedback very much appreciated!

01. LSB - Don't Say It [Spearhead]
02. Liz E - Something Inside [SGN:LTD]
03. Villem - Red Matter [Utopia]
04. P.A - Outta Spite [Musik Hurtz]
05. LSB - The Hurting [Spearhead]
06. ARP XP - Keep Your Head High (ft. Maurs) [IM:LTD]
07. Command Strange - Black Hat [Integral]
08. Tyke - Vice Squad [Radius]
09. Ivy Lab - Brat [Critical]
10. Liz E - The Last Time [SGN:LTD]
11. Kredit - No Words [Rotation]
12. Bungle - Aura [Soul:R]
13. Villem & McLeod - Hush [Samurai]
14. Extra Curricular - Last Day (SpectraSoul's Vocal Remix) [Pigeonhole]
15. SpectraSoul - Shades of Blue [Fokuz]
16. Pessimist - Abstract [Ingredients]
17. Genotype - Champion Dubkiller [Exit]
18. Loxy & Resound - Part Human [Exit]
19. Genotype - Upload Crisis [Ingredients]
20. Dally - Pinnicle [Horizons]
21. Dally - General Sherman [Samurai]
>>>Riz MC - All of You (dBridge's Sound System Remix) [Tru Toughts]

Last edited:
100% drum n bass? what is this nonsense :teeth:

will check it out mang. expectations are high...

my attempt at a good review.

mixing is quality. basslines are heavy. loving the vibes.

Villem - Red Matter
P.A - Outta Spite

Tyke - Vice Squad
Ivy Lab - Brat
these are dirty lil rollers :gun:

and the last 20mins is fuckin sick.

Also this wasnt an off the cuff thing spent a fair old time planning the tracklist so it flows

some parts didn't 'flow' as well as your usual mixes. (imo) the switch between styles/moods seems too obvious.. prob being abit harsh. one of your other mixes sounds like a movie soundtrack, perfect selection. how long did you spend planning that one?

Ivy Lab - Brat [Critical]
Liz E - The Last Time [SGN:LTD]

these two don't work imo.

my attempt at a good review.

mixing is quality. basslines are heavy. loving the vibes.

these are dirty lil rollers :gun:

and the last 20mins is fuckin sick.

some parts didn't 'flow' as well as your usual mixes. (imo) the switch between styles/moods seems too obvious.. prob being abit harsh. one of your other mixes sounds like a movie soundtrack, perfect selection. how long did you spend planning that one?

Ivy Lab - Brat [Critical]
Liz E - The Last Time [SGN:LTD]

these two don't work imo.

Thanks Castel :)
Totally agree with you tbh, spent about an hour on the tracklist switching around the order of the tracks, so didnt take as long planning as my other mixes.
But cheers for the feedback man, appreciate it

anyone else?

Next mix I will listen to when I have the time man. Tracklist looks pretty wicked, with

04. P.A - Outta Spite [Musik Hurtz]

06. ARP XP - Keep Your Head High (ft. Maurs) [IM:LTD]

08. Tyke - Vice Squad [Radius]
09. Ivy Lab - Brat [Critical]

16. Pessimist - Abstract [Ingredients]
17. Genotype - Champion Dubkiller [Exit]
18. Loxy & Resound - Part Human [Exit]
19. Genotype - Upload Crisis [Ingredients]
20. Dally - Pinnicle [Horizons]
21. Dally - General Sherman [Samurai]

all in there, it ticks alot of boxes for me :) Would love to own some Dally goodness on vinyl though

100% drum n bass? what is this nonsense :teeth:
:D

A pleasant melodic intro of Don't Say It set the stage & made for an interesting first listen. Summery piano vibes in there. Letting that tune play for a fair chunk was a nice touch, loved the wooden beats in the second half of Don't Say It & made the anticipation of Something Inside even more profound. When it did make an appearance it was rhythmically placed for Don't Say It & rolled effortlessly off the back of the intro tune. Thats the mildly nasty bass of Outta Spite coming in. Really like that tune and my fav mix so far, but got The Shogun pressed to dub out of those two as it didn't see a vinyl release + missed Red Matter as it was blended SO well in the first 3 tunes. More melodic flavours of The Hurting start to ripple into the tail end of Outta Spite, then start to ramp up with the first sign of some new vocals to the mix. Nice letting that drop on its own. Vocals of Keep Your Head high start to work their way into the mix, but its a wicked touch keeping them at a lower volume to the previous vocals, avoiding what could have been a vocal clash, but epic drawn out notes in both tunes working well with each other & vocals of The Hurting staying in, letting us know the mix is still completely together. Disco shuffles of Black Hat vibe their way into Keep Your Head high for the vocals of the former to sit nicely on top of the simplistic filth of Black Hat. Vice Squads simple roller type notes do sit well with Black Hat & loved the chopped up vocal to no drums that Tyke uses in that tune + others like Drug Pusher & Buzzards. He has a knack of utilising that skill. "Black & Decker I think it was" vocal :D classic. Deep bleeps of Brat's notes start bouncing on the top of Vice Squad a treat imo, the vocal of Brat working well in there too. Also first mix I have heard the Ivy Lab tune in. The Last Time is in for the breakdown in Brat, I enjoyed the way The Last Time rolled out with Brat briefly bleeping over the top of the mix.

More piano notes in the breakdown to that & built the blend for No Words to roll nicely into. Aura - Hush worked very well & set up Last Day rmx in the mix. Felt like the vocals in the verse of that felt a little rushed, but brought the laid back feel of a Spectrasoul tune, which kept the vibe going in Shades Of Blue, but a tad deeper. A minor contrast which fitted together well. Thoroughly enjoyed when Abstract started to kick its off beat into Shades Of Blue. Wasn't aware of Abstract till I heard it in your mix. Feeling the eerie notes of Champion Dubkiller + the mix with Abstract was awesome. Second fav mix so far + liked hearing the beat of Abstract continue a little way into Champion Dubkiller. Not aware of Part Human either, which made for some eager anticipation of what it might be like. Some unfamiliar beats start reverberating at the breakdown of Champion Dubkiller and love the simplicity of Part Human from the off + that filthy double wob in there is well placed & works well in the mix. Upload Crisis is something else new to my ears & switches the mood up a notch with some rolling flavours. Pinnicle is yet more newness to hear coming in & loved the way it bounced off Upload Crisis, those 2 really talking to each other in the mix & almost surprised to hear what Pinnicle sounded like on its own compared to the mix. Trumps the first couple of favourite mixes, as I do like lots of Dally's output :) General Sherman brings a more partial tribal beat to the mix & nice to hear the 2 Dally bits together. Wasn't aware of All Of Your rmx either till I saw it in the TL. Coarse beat and subtle vocal makes for a wicked combination in the tune & wicked outro tune. Reminds me that dBridge's Fighting Fire rmx should have seen the light of day.

Such a quality mix Sicx! Loved the majority of it, even though the tunes I didn't mention in my other post aren't really my cup of tea. I liked that it was all dnb & the fact that you covered a few bases of sub-genres. Hopefully some more mixes like this to come from you?

:D

A pleasant melodic intro of Don't Say It set the stage & made for an interesting first listen. Summery piano vibes in there. Letting that tune play for a fair chunk was a nice touch, loved the wooden beats in the second half of Don't Say It & made the anticipation of Something Inside even more profound. When it did make an appearance it was rhythmically placed for Don't Say It & rolled effortlessly off the back of the intro tune. Thats the mildly nasty bass of Outta Spite coming in. Really like that tune and my fav mix so far, but got The Shogun pressed to dub out of those two as it didn't see a vinyl release + missed Red Matter as it was blended SO well in the first 3 tunes. More melodic flavours of The Hurting start to ripple into the tail end of Outta Spite, then start to ramp up with the first sign of some new vocals to the mix. Nice letting that drop on its own. Vocals of Keep Your Head high start to work their way into the mix, but its a wicked touch keeping them at a lower volume to the previous vocals, avoiding what could have been a vocal clash, but epic drawn out notes in both tunes working well with each other & vocals of The Hurting staying in, letting us know the mix is still completely together. Disco shuffles of Black Hat vibe their way into Keep Your Head high for the vocals of the former to sit nicely on top of the simplistic filth of Black Hat. Vice Squads simple roller type notes do sit well with Black Hat & loved the chopped up vocal to no drums that Tyke uses in that tune + others like Drug Pusher & Buzzards. He has a knack of utilising that skill. "Black & Decker I think it was" vocal :D classic. Deep bleeps of Brat's notes start bouncing on the top of Vice Squad a treat imo, the vocal of Brat working well in there too. Also first mix I have heard the Ivy Lab tune in. The Last Time is in for the breakdown in Brat, I enjoyed the way The Last Time rolled out with Brat briefly bleeping over the top of the mix.

More piano notes in the breakdown to that & built the blend for No Words to roll nicely into. Aura - Hush worked very well & set up Last Day rmx in the mix. Felt like the vocals in the verse of that felt a little rushed, but brought the laid back feel of a Spectrasoul tune, which kept the vibe going in Shades Of Blue, but a tad deeper. A minor contrast which fitted together well. Thoroughly enjoyed when Abstract started to kick its off beat into Shades Of Blue. Wasn't aware of Abstract till I heard it in your mix. Feeling the eerie notes of Champion Dubkiller + the mix with Abstract was awesome. Second fav mix so far + liked hearing the beat of Abstract continue a little way into Champion Dubkiller. Not aware of Part Human either, which made for some eager anticipation of what it might be like. Some unfamiliar beats start reverberating at the breakdown of Champion Dubkiller and love the simplicity of Part Human from the off + that filthy double wob in there is well placed & works well in the mix. Upload Crisis is something else new to my ears & switches the mood up a notch with some rolling flavours. Pinnicle is yet more newness to hear coming in & loved the way it bounced off Upload Crisis, those 2 really talking to each other in the mix & almost surprised to hear what Pinnicle sounded like on its own compared to the mix. Trumps the first couple of favourite mixes, as I do like lots of Dally's output :) General Sherman brings a more partial tribal beat to the mix & nice to hear the 2 Dally bits together. Wasn't aware of All Of Your rmx either till I saw it in the TL. Coarse beat and subtle vocal makes for a wicked combination in the tune & wicked outro tune. Reminds me that dBridge's Fighting Fire rmx should have seen the light of day.

Such a quality mix Sicx! Loved the majority of it, even though the tunes I didn't mention in my other post aren't really my cup of tea. I liked that it was all dnb & the fact that you covered a few bases of sub-genres. Hopefully some more mixes like this to come from you?

As usual some epic feedback from you mate! Im glad you liked the varied styles, it was weird doing something that didnt include alot of different genres not gunna lie! But enjoyed mixing 100% dnb as I dont usually do it. Should be recording some more mixes like this in the future, although dunno how dancefoor friendly they'll be.
PS Cant rep any more

Forgot to feedback as usual.

First mix was beautiful - like the idea of not just going for a double and just letting the first tune roll for a bit. When Something Inside came in it was perfect I can't say much more than that.

Loads of tunes i'm not familiar with in here which makes for an even better listen for me personally.
Outta Spite when that came in was just spot on. Head nodding stuff.
Vibes of the LSB tune coming in and liked the switch up. Waiting for Head Up High to come in now, one of my favourite tunes..and it doesn't disappoint
When that bass kicks in the two blending so well together great stuff Sicx. EQ work was spot on there.

Wasn't too keen on the mix out of Head Up High, just personal preference.

Next couple of mixes Black > Vice Squad was pretty cool mid ranges blended well together, never heard Vice Squad the old samples were pretty funny!
Can hear Brat coming in. Love it when two tunes start talking to each other like this blend. buildup to the drop was good.
Mix out of Brat was cool, showing that you can blend it not only with darker, but lighter tunes.

Then the next few mixes just were spot on again man-No Words, Aura, Hush, The Spectrasoul remix, its just really going on right now.

The end tunes I hadn't listened to many before so was introducing me to new stuff as well as killing it! haha.

Fair play to ya man, you were always the dude I listened to mixes for the really deep Exit/Autonomic days and your showing some great versatility in my opinion; to showcase something dancefloor friendly not associated with your usual style.

Downloading for Ipod purposes.(y) big ups.

Very enjoyable listen. Love a bit of dance floor and there was a whole heap of stuff I'd never heard before, so thanks for giving me some new material to check out :)

Gonna keep this very brief cause I'm at work, but mixing in general was very smooth. Kinda lost it slightly in the middle. 'Ivy Lab - Bra't into 'LizE - The Last Time' in particularly was very sharp. Could have done with something in between to ease the transition as the two together didn't really go. More than made up for it with that ending though, especially the mix around 41 minute mark, (kinda got lost at where we were on the tracklisting by that point, like I said, lot of new tunes).

Forgot about this one but gunna bump it cuz i'll record a new one soon!

Very enjoyable listen. Love a bit of dance floor and there was a whole heap of stuff I'd never heard before, so thanks for giving me some new material to check out :)

Gonna keep this very brief cause I'm at work, but mixing in general was very smooth. Kinda lost it slightly in the middle. 'Ivy Lab - Bra't into 'LizE - The Last Time' in particularly was very sharp. Could have done with something in between to ease the transition as the two together didn't really go. More than made up for it with that ending though, especially the mix around 41 minute mark, (kinda got lost at where we were on the tracklisting by that point, like I said, lot of new tunes).

Thanks PJ, yeah Brat - Last Time is abit of a complete style switch up tbh & deffo the weakest mix of the whole thing. Glad you liked it overall though :) Track @ around the 41min mark is Genotype - Champion Dubkiller.

lovely opener, that LSB release is bliss ! just got it myself.. good to hear Outta Spite although dont think fit the mix as much as i wanted it to though.. same with Vice Squad although i did like the mix out of that , although that Command Strange track was nice, big of an odd flow from there, nothing that really grasped me as such although the latter part of the mix seemed like a better section, tidy mix anyways dude, good selection kept me entertained

Forgot to feedback as usual.

First mix was beautiful - like the idea of not just going for a double and just letting the first tune roll for a bit. When Something Inside came in it was perfect I can't say much more than that.

Loads of tunes i'm not familiar with in here which makes for an even better listen for me personally.
Outta Spite when that came in was just spot on. Head nodding stuff.
Vibes of the LSB tune coming in and liked the switch up. Waiting for Head Up High to come in now, one of my favourite tunes..and it doesn't disappoint
When that bass kicks in the two blending so well together great stuff Sicx. EQ work was spot on there.

Wasn't too keen on the mix out of Head Up High, just personal preference.

Next couple of mixes Black > Vice Squad was pretty cool mid ranges blended well together, never heard Vice Squad the old samples were pretty funny!
Can hear Brat coming in. Love it when two tunes start talking to each other like this blend. buildup to the drop was good.
Mix out of Brat was cool, showing that you can blend it not only with darker, but lighter tunes.

Then the next few mixes just were spot on again man-No Words, Aura, Hush, The Spectrasoul remix, its just really going on right now.

The end tunes I hadn't listened to many before so was introducing me to new stuff as well as killing it! haha.

Fair play to ya man, you were always the dude I listened to mixes for the really deep Exit/Autonomic days and your showing some great versatility in my opinion; to showcase something dancefloor friendly not associated with your usual style.

Downloading for Ipod purposes.(y) big ups.

:( my feedbackings not worth a comment nowadays

Back
Top Bottom