Obey - Autocast Episode 1 (Deep, Minimal, Autonomic)

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Sicx, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Missed doing my monthly Autonomic mixes so i've started a new one called 'Autocast' (Autonomic & podacst).
    Will be in the same vein as my other studio mixes from last year, i.e incorporating a whole load of different genres, although i'll be generally keeping the majority around the 170 mark.
    Purely for home listening really, expect deep, dark, minimal, ambient, soundscape etc etc.

Hope you enjoy these as it gives me a chance to really experiment with my mixing and show you alot of tunes im feeling that aren't necessarily dnb tempo.
    Anyhow, Episode 1:

Tracklist:

01. Beastie Respond - No More
    02. Lea Lea - Black & White (Goth Trad Remix)
    03. RQ - Greater Geometry (ASC Remix)
    04. Synth Sense - Lost in Time (Synkro Remix)
    >>>Method One - High Sierra
    05. ASC - Oort Cloud
    06. Tool - Intension
    07. Consequence - Long Lies
    >>>Sam KDC - Symbol #8.2
    08. SKV18 - Trampoline Queen
    09. ASC - Remnants
    10. Sam KDC & ASC - Skala
    11. Method One - Ziba's Lullaby
    12. Sam KDC - Six Degrees of Seperation
    >>>Dan Habarnam - Rendering the Garlic Boy
    13. Indigo - Keerthana
    14. Sam KDC - Soundtrack to a Fragmented Concentration
    15. Demdike Stare - Leptonic Matter
    >>>Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (Acapella)

2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Inb4 Jack cums all over this mix..

Jwood27 likes this.
  3. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

to be honest this tracklist looks kinda shit

:teeth: you know me too well alfred

4. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Yeees :) will check next when I have a spare hour

5. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

The intro with the happy clappy No More was a nice start to the mix, before its steppy filth notes entered proceedings. Had heard No More before, just couldn't place where. Should really bag a copy of that myself. Choice vocals of Black & White bounce a treat on the beat of No More, as if it was some kind of mash up, then the symbolled shuffle step the energy up a smidge without the ride getting too ahead of itself. Very nice mix right there :) Greater Geometry rmx's high end eases in to the similar beat structure of Black & White rmx for some ambient tribal beats to work their majic. The sound of someone scrunching up a deep electronic crisp packet before Lost In Time rmx floats in effortlessly in definitely something new on the ear drums. Love Synknro's 170 stuff, as I have probably said before. Picturesque pads of drifting flavours ease in & out with High Sierra with its easy listening vocals for good measure. Was tempted to get that Synth Sense rmx EP, but never got round to it. Still might in the near future. Feint memorable sounds of Oort Cloud do ring a bell in the memory banks before some guitar riffs bring the toned down vocals in Intension.

Pleased to hear some more familiar beats coming in, even though I hadn't hear Long Lies before, it was a turn back to a direction that I favour more, bringing back some more clappy beats that No More had originally set the stage with. The way the melody fluctuates in Long Lies in very dream like. I believe Symbol 8.2 is doing its soundscape thing in the background, without reminding myself what that sounds like on its own. Not heard Trampoline Queen before & what a drop to such a tune! thanks for making me aware of it :) 4 years old too. Unmistakable autonomic vibes of ASC's Remnants walk in off the back of Trampoline Queen for yet another seamless blend. Skala took my ears to a place above the clouds on a sunny day, if that the next little section with no beat for a good few minutes. Ziba's Lullaby sounding wicked with the former tunes tail end drifting off into the distance. Had lost where I was in the tracklist & Rendering The Garlic Boy was in for its tease. Ziba's Lullaby & Six Degrees of Separation mixed so well that I didn't even know where the next one started, which is always a good thing :) Keerthana... wow! again. SO stripped back & the atmospheric bass sitting in there between the beats, but continuously is just amazingly effective with some of Indigo's tunes, as well as Synkro's. Soundtrack to a Fragmented Concentration begins to mildly push its way into the mix. More unheard beats on my ears as per the tune before. Leptonic Matter brings some huge echoy warehouse or immense pot hole vibes to its soundscapey appearance in its first 10 seconds or so, which keep going, right through to the acapella of Born To Die to appear, sitting SO well with Leptonic Matter. I don't know how you do it man, with virtually no beat to listen to in the penultimate tune, to sit the acapella with. Definite grandmaster skills for the last mix

An epic start to what will be another quality mix series I'm sure. Faultless mixing, EQ-ing was top notch & track selection was right up there. Wasn't keen on Intension in there as it did stick out a bit compared to the majority of other tunes, but that is just my taste. The first mix was sublime & really set the scene for the mix & enjoyed the ride bar the guitar bit. Actually enjoyed it more that I was expecting, as most podcast go along the lines of here's this tune, now here's the next tune, which I don't really like. The way you've blended the tunes in your 'cast' makes it more personal to you & the tunes. Still a good ratio of tunes to minutes for this mix. Looking forward to episode 2, wherever that may drop.

Sicx likes this.
  6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Yes this was wicked Sicx glad to see you back on this sort of tip, loved your old Autonomic/Exit mixes. Feedback has been smashed though so won't go into too much detail.

Fav bits were

Synth Sense - Lost in Time (Synkro Remix)
    >>>Method One - High Sierra

&

Demdike Stare - Leptonic Matter
    >>>Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (Acapella)

Especially the latter, some standout mixing.

Really like the way you progressed this mix through the different stages, the tribally elements, Synkro remix obviously as well. Will be downloading for some insomnia filled nights no doubt.
    Big ups as always.

Sicx likes this.
  7. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Stunning in depth feedback as usual mate, really really appreciate the detailed breakdown you go into. Always good getting such thorough feedback on something I spent a fair time doing. So cheers dude!
    Think these will be done about once a month there abouts, whenever I gather enough new tunes!

Nice one man! I do really enjoy doing these, so much more than the more dancefloor friendly mixes. The Synth Sense - High Sierra tease was one I really liked as well, just seems to compliment the Synkro remix so well.
    Cheers dude, muchos appreciated!

8. DeployFX

DeployFX Member

Obey!

This is Sound Deploy from Soundcloud, just checking out your mix and giving some feedback. First I have to agree with you: These types of mixes requires a little more thought and effort because the mix needs to ebb and flow together nicely to create that "journey" feel. I definitely hear it in this set compared to the promotional stuff. I've been following your autonomic mixes last year, and I think this entry is one of my favorites since the July and December set last year.

Starting off with the intro to Synth Sense, the establishment of the theme is well, and makes its way heard in clear fashion. Beastie Respond's No More -> Lea Lea - Black and White definitely is both a grabber of a mix with the vocals, and, introduces what you're going to be doing. As mentioned by others, loved the bit with High Sierra with the Synkro track. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm familiar with those tracks, I would've guessed it to be part of the production. Excellent work there. Once the thematic elements were introduced, then comes the awesome interlude.

I love this kind of stuff! (Interludes / off-tempo tracks included) And I don't understand why DJ's don't do it more often in their mixes. Of course there's always an understandable concern that a DJ should keep their audience's interest level at a maximum, and the easiest way to do it is to keep the tempo the same; but the risks in going off-tempo are worth the temptation (I'm sure you'd agree!) From ASC -> Tool, excellent off-beat interlude before going back to the road with Consequence -> Long Lies. (At this point, I'm reminded your December set, I believe, where you dropped Pink Floyd's Cluster One as an interlude before going back to the autonomic) The subtle mix of Symbol 8.2 -> Trampoline Queen was a tough execution; and anyone who doesn't know about 8.2 may not catch it, as it is seamlessly blended in there as if part of the production, but 8.2 is tough to mix properly. Nicely done.

The inclusion of Ziba's Lullaby is great, and I believe you've mixed this track before in similar fashion last year. It's one of the best tunes of the year coming out of Auxiliary for me, and it was a great reminder. Going out of High Sierra is tricky business, and I think picking Six Degrees of separation was an excellent choice. Ziba's Lullaby has lots of pads, and it's difficult not to overwhelm that with an incoming tune. I can hear Rendering the Garlic boy after SDoS's breakdown, before going in to Indigo's Keerthana, which is surprisingly still 170 but having just one bass hit after 8 bars. It gives a nice little deception of tempo.

The closing ambient elements were great. Sam KDC's Soundtrack to Fragmented Concentration, or, shall we say, the latter half of Symbol 3.1 was a nice touch (I see what you did there, haha!) The eerie ambience of Leptonic Matter with Lana Del Rey added to that, and at this point of the mix, there's a sense of closure. Grade A mixing, mate. You really know what you're doing, and since autonomic has so many genres included, it's great that you're taking this approach. I also recently recorded a drum and bass mix, which can be seen here. If you have some time, let me know what you think.

Edit: Seems like the hyperlink isn't working or I'm doing it incorrectly. Anyway, here's the link to the thread. http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/159570-Atmospheric-Drum-and-Bass-Autonomic-Mix

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Sicx likes this.
  9. skwiffer

skwiffer Active Member

Downloaded and ready to listen on my way to work :)

10. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Wow! Wicked feedback dude. Thank you
    What you described is exactly how I wanted this to come out, Im really not a fan of recording mixes just showcasing the latest tunes, I prefer, like you said, to create a journey for whoevers listening. Im glad you felt this, and my other autonomic themed mixes, achieved this. (December was one of my personal faves too)
    Yea as Stu said the Lost in Time High Sierra tease worked really really well, High Sierra is such a lovely and easy tune to do teases with.
    Glad you liked the Tool tune in there, As some have said it does sound smidge out of place but its one of my favorite Tool tunes and I wanted to include it, not too bad though!
    Im really glad you liked it dude, and cheers for such indepth feedback. People like you, Stu & Watcha really making the members mixes section quality at the min.
    Will gladly check out your mix & I actually saw it the other day but have yet to have a chance to give it a play, will try get on it tonight or tomorrow.

Also, cheers Skwiffer let me know what you think!

11. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Really, really solid mix here. I enjoyed it the whole way through and has introduced me to some new music - love it when a mix does that. Was a journey through out, structured well and nice use of the Tool track - seems to work really well.

Sicx likes this.
  12. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Cheers Vanden! Glad you liked it mate

13. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Had a skim through the other day. Big up for playing Tool. I barely listen to anything else besides Tool at the moment. Although it has been that way for the past year or so.
    I'll have a propper listen later.

14. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP gunna do a new one this week me thinks!

15. HAB

HAB "Genius!"

I've been recently getting into this stuff more and more. I'll have a go at some point.