O Rly?

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
I'm basically posting this cos I feel out of touch with the prod section and I'm bored off my bollocks waiting for a mate to arrive.

Been trying to think of tunes to write but I just seem to be getting bored of everything I'm writing. Kinda like writers block but kinda not. I can come up with stuff but it's just so fuckin boring and un-original.

Anyone got tips to kick-start my creative-ness? I just wanna start producing the bangers asap!

1. Listen to some stuff that's as far removed from drum and bass as possible
2. Get angry about something. Think of an ex.
3. Write a tune quickly without going back and rewriting any of it.
4. Give yourself a timelimit. Narrow margins help focus energy.

Maybe your stuff sounds boring to you, it might not be. I never actually like most of my tunes until I've stopped working on it and started the next one.

try and find a cool sample? then you can kinda work around that and imagine a big drop on it or something similar, thats what id do :) not that i produce haha

Don't force yourself to make a track is my advice! Just open up whatever synths, samples your using and just go crazy, add LFO's, distortion, automation you could see what happens when you duplicate this synth layer and high pass it above the other one, add more effects to it such as chorus, flanger etc... Then you can start thinking of other sounds that could compliment the first one. It's all about having fun mate don't force yourself to write anything :)

Last edited:
Dillinja never likes any of his tunes.

my advice would be to get an interesting midi controller.

something hands on that is fun to use. a new toy if you will

try writing something you havent made before, listen to some new styles of dnb, im sure there are some types of beats you havnt had a crack at

Wtf dont liking ur own tunes lol that sounds weird.. Fuck i listen to my own shit on my mp3 player haha

just take a break
i had something similar to that for ages u just gotta wait it out obviously keep makin stuff but dont get to pissed off with what uve made u can always come back an change it for the better later on

Cheers lads! Yeah I suppose I just need to take a chill pill. Moving house is stressin me out at the moment too. Lol. Gonna sit down, chill out and have a crack at some Break style DnB!

Yeahh, or maybe start on something that is not Drum & Bass. Like some film music stuff or maybe even some more house/techno stuff.
You could make some entirely different things and then get back to Drum & Bass with the new stuff you learned.

My creativity usually starts with finding a track that i kind of like, but isnt great, then thinking "what would i do to make it better" and going from there.
Smoking a whole bunch of weed helps too.

My creativity usually starts with finding a track that i kind of like, but isnt great, then thinking "what would i do to make it better" and going from there.
Smoking a whole bunch of weed helps too.

Given the weed up mate. Made me far too paranoid. I spent an entire year convinced that I was being choked by my own saliva.

Coke though...

I think I might make some house. Dirty electro house. Yeah. Nice, healthy, delicious house.

mate, we all get it. Its called loop mong. Like if you listen to something for too long your brain gets used to it and your judgment on it suffers and of course you get bored of it. All i do is get ideas from everything, whether it be dirty 8 bit with russian drum and bass style drums to intelligent drum and bass with resampled vocals. Sometimes all you need to do is just sit down and rinse the fuck out of your shit. The amount of unfinished shit i have that i come to later and make bangers out of is well into the double figures. Just listen to your music, listen to other peoples, just listen and the ideas will come.

Weed is always good too :) try some ketamine for ultra wonky shit.

For the weed thing, starting a tune on weed doesn't work as well as just polishing it up for me, when I'm halfway thru a track and high it gives me so much creativity.

But how many threads ARE there on this by now?

Back
Top Bottom