Nut Nut & Pure Science "Rumble"

yes mate. Please tell the story of how u know bout this tune.
Here goes then Radius, are we all sitting comfortably...?!

Back in the early 1990s I used to live in Leicester, the home of DJ SS (aka Leroy Small) and his Formation Records label. The local pirate station, Fresh FM, used to play loads of jungle, often spun by artists on the Formation roster. One unknown track I heard caught my ear and quite literally for nearly 15 years now I've wondered what it was. Every now and again I'd punch some words into Google to try to work it out and by chance, a few days ago, I came across a post on DNBFORUM by Radius from last October when he was trying to ID the tune as well.

Like him, I thought the sample said something like "OJ, OJ, this one ya tune/yaboo". Radius felt it was a Formation track which made sense to me - between 1992-94, a mate and I used to record for Formation's house music offshoot called "100% Records" (now defunct) and got to know Leroy and the other Formation/5HQ guys quite well including a house DJ called Jason who DJ'd under the name of "OJ"...

Anyway, turns out it wasn't a Formation tune - Radius managed to find someone who could ID it...so the mystery track was none other than DJ Nut Nut & Pure Science's "The Rumble". What a choon!!! Tracking down the 10" green slate on ebay right now...

Incidentally, whilst in the studio one day with DJ SS putting together a house track, his mobile phone rang so whilst he took the call, my mate mucked around on one of the keyboards and started playing a bit of classical music (Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata") to kill some time. When he got off the phone, SS asked my mate to replay it while he recorded it - the result ended up on the track known as "Intro" on the first DJ SS "Rollers Convention" EP. Clearly inspired by the idea of a bit of classical piano on his productions, SS - recording as "Sound of The Future" - went on to make the massive "The Lighter" a year later and the rest, as they say, is history...

By the way, my mate referred to above (Mr Larsen you know who you are) has since gone on to have a career making music and a few years ago actually won a Grammy for his mixing skills on a Kylie Minogue record - funny how things turn out, innit?!?

Thumper Searle

i think the sample says...

'oh dread oh dread, this one ya go boom.'

my mate used to dj on the same pirate station as ragga john, who did the remix. basildon, essex boys.

That is quite a story for quite a track..in fact Mr.Searle..go chek discogs....I think u'll find tehre are a few copies and possibly cheaper than e-bay....big up to all the crew for teh input...gonna get me the mad ragga john mix...just caught me a Skanna 12 too so been a good week for hunting

Back
Top Bottom