DnB Nucleoid - WIP >(Another song, please give critisism!)<

wasup Bonobo fan!?

the stereo image of the whole mix is good (id say a lil too wide :P but thats easy to fix)

right now its sounding quite rough, have you EQed everything? that bassline could defo do with some EQing/compression (bring out the growliness in the 2nd half of the pattern)

i think some atmos fx would sound good in the intro as well

edit: the sub sounds good as well, but id highpass the kick to 90hz so its not interfering

To be honest I haven't had much experience in EQ'ing growl basses (as you can see in my coldplay remix for instance :p), so what could be the best way for EQ/compressing that bass?
Actually so far, I only cut some mids, the ultrahighs and the subs from the bass as to sit comfortly within the subbass and hats.. I wouldn't know where to go next ;s

Obviously I have EQ'ed the drums, but I guess I could refine that a bit. Also I haven't spent any time on the stereo image yet, so at the moment it just goes through a standard mastering setup. I will change this accordingly later on :)

I'll definitely add some more sounds and fx'es in the intro too.

Thanks!
and indeed, I'm a big fan of Bonobo :D

okay well in this case id EQ first, and id do this:
http://www.resoundsound.com/weekly-tip-11-identifying-problem-frequencies/

but instead of removing freqs, id use it to find bits that sound good (your b-line sounds a lot like a saw wave, and i think thats good), but remember to boost wide instead of narrow, but id really do a highpass at 90hz on the kick

and then id experiment with compression using the settings in this:
http://www.resoundsound.com/smashed-up-a-parallel-compression-tutorial/

and then play around with the dry/wet to see if its an improvement or not (if it doesnt sound good then forget it)

Thanks! Well I tried the extra compression, and I think the bass is definitely better now. I might experiment a little more with it, but generally it feels even harder now :D

Back
Top Bottom