Nu Urban Bankrupt

I heard about this...RIP....they were such a great starting platform for labels, we had two labels on there...it's a sad day

Agreed.. Lack of quality control was a downside, but it also helped so many up and coming producers get themselves out there.. Will be a huge hit for such a small scene

first page and jump up is being slagged off... this forum (except waffle, naturally) makes me sad

RIP Nu Urban, lets hope someone picks up the slack!

Not yet. Their site is still up & running with no mention of anything bad

DJOllie (who had a label they were funding or something along those lines) wrote on fb:

So Nu Urban Music is closing. It's a sad day for Drum And Bass music. They've were always really helpful & friendly when I worked in a record shop & when setting up Direct Recordings

also read up on jaydans twitter, regardless of their website being up and running, its as close as official as ur gonna get

https://twitter.com/Jaydandnb/status/245464578606104577

vinyl is dying out....weather you like it or not, so im not surprised really. yes, its a shame.

this may a stupid question, but will the mp3 store keep up and running? I buy on average 5-6 mp3s a week off nu urban (yes I like a lot of new jump up) and would be gutted to see it disappear.

it's still there at the moment... http://www.nu-urbanmusic.co.uk/drum_and_bass/shop/all_format.php?format=22

I seriously doubt that, they've filed for bankruptcy which means they have no money, which means they have debt. Before they could start trading again they'd have to pay out to the people they owe and i cant see that happenin if they got no money

im suprised that it hadnt happened sooner!!!!
Exactly. Why people think we stopped doing vinyl over a year ago, it was just delaying the inevitable. Aside from a handful of labels that have a massive history/following like Ram, NHS, Headz, Shogun, virtually every other label that's still clinging to vinyl is probably selling something pathetic like 50-100 copies of each release... and sitting on another 300 they'll never, ever get rid of. It would be great if we lived in a world where we could all sell hundreds or thousands of vinyl each release, but we don't. There is no reason for any 16 year old kid just getting into D&B to start on vinyl. None of the DJs he'll look up to will play it, and it's by far a prerequisite to be a DJ in the scene anymore, so then you're left with the old vinyl heads who get plucked off one by one because it's too expensive, they're not into it as much anymore, etc. It's done, it's over. Lets move on and stop pretending it's "all good".

Surprised it aint happened sooner.

To be honest i hated buying off their site. it was such a chore to go through their list with no indication of what was in stock and what wasnt until u actually clicked onto the product ie: out of stock and in stock items were mixed up together.

I found their mp3 shop an absolute joke what seemed like anyone could release on there. jokes.

I also noticed their output over the last year or two had slowed right down and noticed more and more labels were selling their own tunes on their own website.

It aint hard to sort a run of vinyl out so i doubt vinyl pressing for jump up is gonna die out lol

As a label who is/was Distributed by Nu Urban we are disgusted, i literally invoiced them for quite a large sum of money recently and it looks like it was too late!

Im praying the assets (if there are any) are liquidated to pay the labels, we have artists to pay and without that money we are to put it bluntly FUCKED. Ill have to pay money which i cant afford on this level out of my own pocket.

All the work we have put in the last 4 years feels like it has been utter waste.

We have had no word or warning from Nu Urban about anything, i thank them for the support they have shown in the beginning but now i feel like we were just used to try and keep the company alive.

Sad news.

Whether you like jungle and jump up or not this was a massive part of the dnb scene.
Phil who ran it was hugely respected within the scene, going way way back to the very beginning.

I worked there for 3 or so years running their art dept. It was really enjoyable being a part of something like Nu Urban.
Working away and suddenly seeing Randal, Micky Finn, or Bukem wander in and of course Darren Jay with his gifts of chocolates and sweets!

I know for a fact that Phil and everyone there did their upmost to give new artists a good chance and supported them well.
Phil's attitude was always one of generosity towards the labels and making sure they were happy and doing well, money came second. Which is a rare thing in this industry.
They were highly respected by those in the know. Often going above and beyond what they needed to do to help their clients.

I know everyone their had their heart and soul in the company.
This would not have been an easy decision for them and although many label will be left in the cold I am sure they would have done all they could to make this work.
Whether you like the all the music they put out or not there were some real success stories there, SwanE's dubstep label Circus Records being the latest.
They were home to many labels not just jump up, from Viper Recordings, to Congo Natty, to Close2Death, to Clear Skies, to Good Looking, Playaz, Infrared and Full Cycle....to name but a very few!

I wouldn't think the reasons for closure are as clear cut as some people here might like to think.

It was great to be part of NU.
Big up to Phil and everyone. I wish them all well.

Last edited:
As a label who is/was Distributed by Nu Urban we are disgusted, i literally invoiced them for quite a large sum of money recently and it looks like it was too late!

Im praying the assets (if there are any) are liquidated to pay the labels, we have artists to pay and without that money we are to put it bluntly FUCKED. Ill have to pay money which i cant afford on this level out of my own pocket.

All the work we have put in the last 4 years feels like it has been utter waste.

We have had no word or warning from Nu Urban about anything, i thank them for the support they have shown in the beginning but now i feel like we were just used to try and keep the company alive.

:(

Thats horrible. Sorry.

It's not in a businesses best interest to tell people they are having money troubles or might be closing until anything is finalised.
I know they were probably analysing options and nothing was decided until very recently.

Back
Top Bottom