Nu Skool Breakz

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Kartoonz, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Kartoonz

Kartoonz New Member

whats everyones thoughts on Nu skool breakz? I have been listening to dnb for about 6 years now and have quite a dnb vinyl collection but recently i have found that the whole scene has been flooded with loads shite. Everyone seems to have jumped on the bandwagon. Although i have alot of respect for the scene i have found myself moving away from it and listening to alot of nu skool breakz. I think it was Fabric that turned things round for me. The Nu skool Bass lines dont seem so grindy and....well i dont really know how to describe it other than saying off. Like alot of dillinja tracks these days. The sound system seems to have gone to his head and the music just dont seem as good as it was when he first started out. (soz SDM i know your a Valve fan). Anyway what are your thoughts? Should dnb forum start to include breakz and does anyone know any Breakz sites to visit? I got the aquasky site and www.nubreaks.com but anyone know any others? Ive noticed Zinc has also done a breakz record with a starwars theme :saber:

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I love it :love:

Zinc's Bingo Beats album/compilations get a lot of time from me :jackson:

3. mesh

mesh Active Member

have always loved breakbeat, nu-school, proggy stuff, all of it. The basslines are the killer,same as dNb its just more funky than 4/4 all the way.
    As far as bandwagon jumping, if you like dNb get real used to it cos it happens about every 3/4 years imo. Its the nature of the beast, when something this good stays relatively underground for over ten years there will always be surges in commerciality.

Freq Nasty is a bad, bad man.

4. skope

skope promoti0nal.douchbag

5. Kartoonz

Kartoonz New Member

That site is alot like this Skope. Is there some kind of world take over going on here? This site anything to do with u SDM? :rslayer:

6. Kartoonz

Kartoonz New Member

oh and cheers skope just what i was lookin for :thumbsup:

7. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Personally I think nu skool breaks is complete crap from what I've heard.
    Most the stuff doesn't even have breakbeats in it

I liked some of the older stuff and the Bingo beats album is fucking wicked but the newer breaks I've heard has really put me off. Seems a bit too slow paced and boring, with huge build ups to really disappointing drops

8. Kartoonz

Kartoonz New Member

well ya cant please everyone. I guess im just getting older and my tsate is starting to turn. The Drum n Bass scene is alot different to when i first started listening to it. It just seems to me that there startin to run out of new ideas. There seem to be So many remixes out there that just destroy the original. Have you seen how many Drum n Bass records there are on chemical? Have you seen how many breaks records there are on chemical. And they say drum n bass is underground music. Dont get me wrong i loved and still do love jungle/drum n bass butits just gone too pop and mass market. There streaming Dnb Records off like theres no tomorrow which makes me question the quality of it all. Maybe im just going aquasky.

9. inf0r

inf0r /!\ Dainjah /!\

Best point I've read on the subject.. It really fkin vexes me, like pulling a buff girl, then when you get down to it, she's shite.. Total anti-climax :/

On the other hand, I would love someone to prove me wrong tho and show me some breaks tunes that maintain themselves post-drop..

The only exception to this rule is Bingo Beats Vol 2. I haven't heard the first one, but the tunes & mixing were tighter than a ducks butt. Not heard anything played out as good as this, or even near.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  10. Kartoonz

Kartoonz New Member

Aphrodite is also guilty of huge build ups and drops with nothing to follow. (Just a comment not a flame.)

11. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

I'd also really like to hear it done well, but in my eyes hardcore did the slower breakeat thing better 12 years ago and with much more energy and originality. It just seems to me like they're doing the whole prog house thing and are afraid to tear it up for fear of not being intelligent enough