Novation SL Mk II for Logic Pro 9

barnesy00

DJZeroZero
VIP Junglist
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/sl_mkii?option=1
I m planning on getting a MIDI keyboard for working with Logic and I saw this advertised in MTM just wondering if anyone has used one and whats it like, its supposed to be automatically mapped to all logics synths and tools etc. also i was wondering if anyone could recommend a sound card for me or if i will need one, im on a powermac G5, chears

IMO a bit unnecessary, but I'm sure people will disagree with me. You can map any knob on any keyboard to nay function on any synth in logic anyway.
Obviously if you intent on twisting knobs a lot it's a wicked idea as it takes a bit of the 'assigning' out of it, but I can't honestly say I've ever done it.
The sliders might be useful for mixing, but you're only going to be able to use 8 at a time which makes them a bit redundant.

They only reason I'd want to do it if I was automating cutoff of something, but then I'd probably go back and manually edit the automation for more refinement, unless you wanted that lazy, live kinda vibe.

Instead of spending £350 on that, get a soundcard for £175 and another standard midi keyboard for £175 and save yourself some dollar. Or a better sound card at £200+ and a general midi keyboard fgor £100ish.

Although that doesn't sound like much of an issue if you're reppin a powermac g5 :rinsed:

IMO a bit unnecessary, but I'm sure people will disagree with me. You can map any knob on any keyboard to nay function on any synth in logic anyway.
Obviously if you intent on twisting knobs a lot it's a wicked idea as it takes a bit of the 'assigning' out of it, but I can't honestly say I've ever done it.
The sliders might be useful for mixing, but you're only going to be able to use 8 at a time which makes them a bit redundant.

They only reason I'd want to do it if I was automating cutoff of something, but then I'd probably go back and manually edit the automation for more refinement, unless you wanted that lazy, live kinda vibe.

Instead of spending £350 on that, get a soundcard for £175 and another standard midi keyboard for £175 and save yourself some dollar. Or a better sound card at £200+ and a general midi keyboard fgor £100ish.

surely it makes using synths a lot easier, rather that clicking and turning knobs etc you can turn them on the keyboard, also better for testing what things do etc. tbh i dont know much ive only just started producing so i would be grateful for any more advice you could give, cheers

also what u mean by 'Although that doesn't sound like much of an issue if you're reppin a powermac g5 :rinsed:', cos there shit? or cos there expensive? js wondering

Because they're expensive.

If you think it makes it easier to have a load of knobs in front you, then it must make it easier? It's just remembering which knobs are linked to whatever ones in Logic. And surely when you start buying 3rd party plug in's it's going to be pretty redundant?

But essentially it's the same thing as clicking the mouse on the digital knob and turning it, you can only use two hands a time so I duno man, whatever makes you happy.

mine was pretty cheap cos i got it 2nd hand but it still runs sweet.
cheers for the help man still havnt decided if i should get it, could you point me in the direction of a descent sound card between 100-200£ and do i need one to start off with to actually use the keyboard?

Nope, your keyboard should just run off usb (or firewire if it's that way inclined) you won't have to go through the soundcard for that.

As for soundcards, I speak highly of Focusrite Saffire 6 with weighs in a lovely £140 (approx) http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_6_usb/
Which is a bit of a steal as it has the same pre amps as all the other Focusrite models, which I'd hope anyone will tell you are worth the price alone.
I doubt you'll need more than 2 inputs as you won't be recoridng more than 2 instruments at a time, if any?
All you've really be using it for is plugging your monitors into, or maybe recording the odd sample here and there, for which it is more than enough.

so i only really need a soundcard when i start recording stuff?
alternatively to this keyboard i was thinking about getting a Korg Microkorg synth keyboard, will this work in the same way as a midi keyboard, but with the synth as well? in this case id deffo go for it but im still confused bout these things

Hardware is a whole other headache waiting to happen.
Start small and simple then build up to bigger, better things when (and if) you're still producing in a years time.
I know you're egar to start big and go at it guns blazing, but it's best to ease yourself in and understand things at a basic level before you start reaching for synths and controllers and the rest of it IMO.

To be toally honest, your PowerMac, a simple midi keyboard and soundcard (for monitoring through speakers/recording 'live' instruments) will be ample for what you need right now.

And you've got to remember you're buying for the moment (i.e - a beginners level) and you'll always be looking to upgrade as time goes by.

yeh thats exactly how i feel, im on a mouse all day at work and then to go home and sit on a mouse too is annoying much rather physically turning things etc, let me know how you get on with it

Yes, but being used to a mouse and having to change your workflow for a more hands on approach is yet another headache. :) Who knows though, it may come quick and you may even prefer it. :) It certainly looks intuitive according to the vids (I run a BCF2000 in Logic Control mode but really only use it for levels, panning and transport control - it can however control plugins but haven't bothered figuring that out yet).

I'm with riisu though, get a proper base setup before playing around with 'luxuries'. Some decent monitors, soundcard and a midi keyboard and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom