Not what is used to be

inderjitfarm

VIP Junglist
ive bin into drum n bass since the years of 96 and i personally fink that the peak years of the music was between 96-2004 where live recordings was released on tapepack providing more coverage from the nite as oppose to cd packs. also at present the mcing is not all that anymore aswell, the likes of eksman, dett and sometimes skiba no way near as good anymore. random mcs also jumpin on the mic and fukin up the set does make good lisening.

anyone share to provide their opinons.

i only started listening about 3 years ago but i have listened to old hysteria packs and couldnt agree with you more. jungle vibe is much more to my taste ( seems to be coming back a bit now all be it quite different ).
some mcs still hold thier own these days but alot do just shout over and ruin the set.

sorry to hicjack ur thread but jumpin jack frost... my mate said thats andy c? i know im probably going to look like an idiot now haha but i have no ideas!

Bro, I've been into it since the hardcore days of the early 90's. I hear what you're saying and it's good to look back at the old days, but really you have to move on!

There's some good DnB out there and the scene's bigger than it was back then.

One thing I will say is that it's harder to keep up with the scene as a whole. There's more tunes being produced in each sub-genre now, so once you find your niche it's hard to keep up with what's going on in the other sub-genres.

For example I'm into the really dark and evil Pots n Pans DnB ( :rslayer: ). There's so many tunes in that sub-genre alone I ain't got a clue what's going on in Liquid, Jump-Up, Techstep etc. If I had more time and money, I'd listen to and buy more DnB from the other sub-genres.

In the 90's I knew what Intelligence LTJ Bukem was dropping, what Jump Up Hype was dropping and the Dark Techstep Dylan was dropping.

It's just the way it is!

DnB's getting better and better in my opinion! Can't really comment on MC's as I've never been a big fan of any of em.

ive bin into drum n bass since the years of 96 and i personally fink that the peak years of the music was between 96-2004 where live recordings was released on tapepack providing more coverage from the nite as oppose to cd packs. also at present the mcing is not all that anymore aswell, the likes of eksman, dett and sometimes skiba no way near as good anymore. random mcs also jumpin on the mic and fukin up the set does make good lisening.

anyone share to provide their opinons.

Its just an evolution of the scene and music industry in general. If cassettes were still a valid format then im sure tape packs would still exist but its an obsolete format so its all cd packs now. And the years you think were the best for the music is quite a large one. Granted, a lot of good music came out in those years, but also a lot of shit music came out in that period too. As for MCs? Well, i have an opinion on that argument but i'll keep it to myself. I think the scene is at its most diverse right now, theres not so much anthem bashing anymore and more styles are being catered for in big and small venues. Glorifying a period you like is wicked, but also acknowledge whats going on in the now cos theres some good shit happening

There is a bit of a resemblance though, I can see how he was mistaken

jumpinjackfrost.jpg

andy-c.jpg

CD's last a hell of a lot longer than tapes. Remember tapes were a very fragile format. I certainly don't miss trying to wind the tape back into the cassette when they fucked up. Could be very annoying if you had a great set on tape too.

CD's last a hell of a lot longer than tapes. Remember tapes were a very fragile format. I certainly don't miss trying to wind the tape back into the cassette when they fucked up. Could be very annoying if you had a great set on tape too.

Or when some numpty puts it too close to your speaker and the next time you play it you can hear both sides!

And anyone who cant tell the difference between Andy C and JJ Frost should be slapped across the teeth and have their D&B pass revoked at the door on their way out of the rave....

Or when some numpty puts it too close to your speaker and the next time you play it you can hear both sides!

Haha indeed mate!
Or if the tape spilled out and:
A) Got chewed up in the player
or
B) Kinked and twisted whilst winding it back up.

I agree that the time period you said was special but as other people say, things evolve and change. There is still loads of good stuff out there. It won't be how it was back then but it is good in different ways. I have friends who don't love dnb as much as they used to. They reackon the quality has gone downhill. I strongly disagree with that. There is more choice than ever before and something for everyone whether it is hospital, alix perez, d-bridge, andy c, renegade hardware. All different, all innovaters and all exceptional at what they do. I really believe there is something for everyone out there.

Dnb was definately very interesting back in the day, mostly because it was all new and therefore exciting, it felt underground, it felt different and it felt like as a culture you were breaking away from the norm. It used to feel like the future.. nowadays it really doesn't.

It had a proper shit patch from 05-08 or so, with everything being either soul-samples, wobble or just generally crap...

It's definately picked up lately though, just a lot of hunting is needed.

I was a huge fan of photek and bukem's ideas, innovation and musicality, and now you can get that in the genre, you just have to search...

The only thing that is down is the quality control and the fact that there is soooo much being put out there, too much probably. The vinyl market is flooded with so much shit, and whilst I don't spin mp3's/cd's I am sure that its even worse then...

does anybody know how to record from tape to CD. got some epic sets i want to upload

Haha indeed mate!
Or if the tape spilled out and:
A) Got chewed up in the player
or
B) Kinked and twisted whilst winding it back up.

So annoying when the tape would twist and you'd play it and you'd get the other tape of the tape in reverse.

Happened to my Hype @ Helter Skelter Discovery tape.

Back
Top Bottom